New Nighthawk X6S (R7900P) won't connect to internet through ATT Uverse

socalif
Aspirant

New Nighthawk X6S (R7900P) won't connect to internet through ATT Uverse

We have ATT Uverse, and I power down, plug in power and cable, turn night hawk on and turn on app.  

It connect to router, but says no Internet connection.

Tried turning off Uverse wifi and still no internet.  Net cable is plugged into port 1, and when I unplug and replug PC into same port, there is internet.

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 1 of 13

Re: New Nighthawk X6S (R7900P) won't connect to internet through ATT Uverse

Greetings,

The Uverse device in front of ther Nighthawk is a router.  The Nighthawk is a router.  They cannot both exist on the same network without some modifications.

You have two choices. 

Either put the Uverse device into pass-through or bridge mode, or put the Nighthawk into (AP) Access Point mode.

As it stands, both devices are trying to perform the same functions on your network.  This is not possible. 

What most people do....  put their ISP issued device into pass-through or bridge mode, and disable its wireless.  This allows the internet to "pass-through" the ISP device and allows the Nighthawk to perform NAT, DHCP and provide wireless at your location.       

What is the brand/model of the device in front of the Nighthawk?

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 2 of 13
socalif
Aspirant

It says. 5268acfxn
Message 3 of 13
myersw
Master

Having had UVerse they normally have a DMZ option rather then a bridge option. Have to put the router in the DMZ and it will then get the same Internet IP address as the AT&T box.

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 4 of 13
socalif
Aspirant

how and where on the ATT router Uverse admin page do you change to DMZ ?

I plugged the network wire port one from the ATT router, into the INTERNET plug on the Nighthawk, and still getting no internet.

Even tried taking the actual internet cable directly to the Nighthawk bypassing the ATT ROUTER.

Message 5 of 13

Believe its an Arris branded device.

Haven't found much in the way of documentation.

5268AC     Marketing material.  Easy-to-configure NAT pass-through (pinholes) for common applications (games, servers, etc.)
DMZplus for automatic WAN IP assignment to a local computer

EDIT***

This might help...  see page 23

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 6 of 13
myersw
Master

Yup page 23 is what you want. Just use the router in place of a PC like they describe.

May need some patience as I had to play some to get things working. At least I did. Also found on the particular AT&T box, I had, been too long to remember what it was, I had to remove/delete the router in the DMZ if I messed things up rather then being able to modify the existing connection information. Once I got it up, it was solid with the r7000 I had at the time.

One last thing, there was a model of the Arris that had performance issues when in DMZ mode. Folks got AT&T to swap out. Was a praticular model so may not apply, just something to be aware of.

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 7 of 13
socalif
Aspirant

page 23?

The label says this is a Pace 5268AC

Message 8 of 13
myersw
Master

@socalif wrote:

page 23?

The label says this is a Pace 5268AC

@shadowsports  has a Edit that says page 23. This takes you to the manual for your gateway and then go to page 23. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 9 of 13
socalif
Aspirant

tried the page 23 solution, and the router doesnt get listed on the page of apps to select.

Message 10 of 13
socalif
Aspirant

go to the dmz page, (settings/firewall/dmz) cick to allow all applications, and on the nighthawk

still no internet found

Message 11 of 13
myersw
Master

Did you see the router in step 4? This is a critical step as this is what places the router in the DMZ. If you log into the router does the WAN interface address match the AT&T box? If not then not in DMZ. As I said, setting up the DMZ can be a little tricky. Worst case contact AT&T support and have them help you. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 12 of 13
socalif
Aspirant

Using all of the suggestions, I am able to pass through to the Nighthawk and now WiFi and direct connections go through the nighthawk

The nighthawk came with a default name    netgear38    I cant find on the Iphone Nighthawk app where to change the Wifi name or password?

I connect to wifi on my phone, go to  192.168.1.254   and it connects to my ATT router.  I also try the URL provided and it never connects, only times out.

When connected viewing my att router settings, I see the nighthawk as connected to port 1

I guess 1st thing is to turn off my ATT WiFi 1st????  Then what?   THANK YOU

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E