Re: New R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.4.30

madhatter
Apprentice

I'm guessing that the v2 has made some of the quantum leaps that the v1 has made, and that would be good.  I liked some of the features of the v2, like NOIP support.  But I like the way the v1 handles guest mode isolation better.  The v1 allows me to separately check allowing guest isolation and allowing guests to access my network, which is important to me in the way I use guest mode.  I don't know why they changed that on the v2 and r7000 by combing the 2 functions together.

1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 101 of 149
TheEther
Guru

@Killhippie wrote:

QOS is not really worth using if you have a fast connection, at 64Mbps I dont use QOS at all.

This is correct.  Netgear's QoS generally adds more value when bandwidth is scarce by prioritizing important traffic.  When bandwidth is plentiful, there is little to be gained by prioritizing traffic.  Theoretically, high priority traffic might see lower latencies and jitter, which might benefit gaming and video streaming but most other applications probably won't notice the difference. 

In addition, it's been my experience that Netgear's QoS bogs down at higher speeds.  When I used to have 25 Mbps service, a speedtest could not even saturate the link when downstream QoS was enabled, but it would work fine disabled.  I admit that this could be a misleading result because Netgear's downstream QoS is specifically designed to benefit video streaming not speedtest traffic.  Anyway, I have since upgraded to faster service, so QoS remains off on my router.  I never had issues with video streaming with either the old or new service.  YMMV.

Message 102 of 149
01R
Luminary
Luminary

need eta on new firmware this firmware is bad for xbox live games keep disconnectin constantly  disconects timeouts its all bad and it only hapens with this firmware

Message 103 of 149
madhatter
Apprentice

On my 6300v1 if I turn QoS off, my wireless laptop gets about 50% of the speed it otherwise gets with QoS turned on.  

Right now, for me, the 6300v1 is the best router I've ever experienced.  I just got one today, updated f/w to the latest, reset defaults, loaded my standard configuration file, unplugged my old 6300v1, plugged in the new one and it is flawless.  For only $59.99 w/ no tax and free shipping (got it in 2 days).

So, I've got 3 r6300v1's for less than the price of 1 r7000.  Hmmmm

1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 104 of 149
madhatter
Apprentice

On my 6300v1 if I turn QoS off, my wireless laptop gets about 50% of the speed it otherwise gets with QoS turned on.  

Right now, for me, the 6300v1 is the best router I've ever experienced.  I had 2, just got a 3rd today, and ordered another a minute ago. On the one I got today I updated f/w to the latest, reset defaults, loaded my standard configuration file, unplugged my old 6300v1, plugged in the new one and it is flawless.  I buy thes for only $59.99 w/ no tax and free shipping (got it in 2 days). And they are just like new.

So, I've got 4 r6300v1's for $40 more than the price of 1 r7000.  Hmmmm.  Step me through this slowly.

I should add that since I updated to .76 and now .78 I haven't had ANY DNS problems.  Could Netgear have actually fixed that?  Oh, oh, now I'm jinxed

1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 105 of 149
madhatter
Apprentice

Maybe you know how this works, as I have never really understood upstream QoS.  What I do, and it seems to work, is I prioritize my VOIP devices because my bandwidth is 50mbs down and only 5mbs up and my problem with VOIP was always my upstream bandwidth.

So i give highest MAC priority to VOIP devices (2xObi, 1xOOMA and 1xNETTALK), high priority to streaming (AMAZON FIRE, SLINGBOXES, etc.), low priority to FTP and printing

It seems to be working great, but I don't understand the options for

Turn Bandwidth Control On

Uplink bandwidth Maximum 7KbpsMbps  what, exactly does this do? and what is the purpose of the field for Uplink Bandwidth Maximum. The explanations I have read make no sense to me at all. And on the r7000 it was equally (if not more) confusing

1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 106 of 149
netwrks
Master

Upstream QoS. From what I have read, it looks like it pertains to gaming. Alot of the new routers the focus is on gaming. So, it seems to me with what they vaguely describe is all the upstream priority being given to a gaming device(s). This NGLink may explain it best. I don't use it as I have enough bandwidth. On the 6300 the only QoS I ever used was port based. 

Message 107 of 149
madhatter
Apprentice

fascinating ... thanks.  I've turned it off.  Let's see what happens/  

1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 108 of 149

Re: New Firmware Version 1.0.4.30

Sorry for cross post, but this is the original thread I found where the NetGear employee above linked to the other thread. Anyway, factory reset did not solve the issue for me.

Message 109 of 149
madhatter
Apprentice

i didn't see where turning off Bandwidth control helped in any way.  I think QoS for the r7000 is optimized for gaiming in a way that is different than previous routers.  I cam see where the r7000 might be the weapon of choice for gamers.

For me, since I don't game at all, VOIP management is very important.  

1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 110 of 149

While I'm here.  QOS is just for partitioning a scarce resource, if you don't have a big enough pipe.

What do you think is better?  Super wide lanes (a big, raw, dumb, pipe) big enough for all traffic to drive through fast?  Or, driving around a traffic cop standing in the middle deciding whether to queue folks?

Message 111 of 149
ringlord
Apprentice

Just want to add that I also experienced problems (mainly connectivity dropouts) after upgrading to 1.0.4.30.

I called Netgear support and they told me to do a factory reset and reflash.  My initial thought was "comeon why go thru that kind of hassle" so I didn't.

After reading some posts in this topic that suggested that this was indeed solving the issues for them, I decided to bite the bullet and also

• did a factory reset
  • flashed the firmware again
  • did a factory reset
  • entered my specifics from scratch

This indeed solved my problems (running for a week now).

While I do think that it is unfortunate and too much hassle (flashing the new firmware should be enough in itself), I am glad I could solve this.

Saved me from returning the router to the vendor.

So thanks to the community for convincing me.

Message 112 of 149
ringlord
Apprentice

Too bad but I have to add to my previous comment that I still experience the same issue as reported in other threads.

Sometime the R7000 stop sending the SSID on the 5Ghz band.

Devices connected to that SSID loose connectivity at that point.

Really unacceptable performance for such a pricey router, given the effort users have to put in to make it work somewhat...

Message 113 of 149
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Actually I haven't had the problems you  have mentioned in your post, but you may try XVortex-ASUS-Merlin FW, I have seen that almost everyone is happy with it, and it gives outstanding performance as well as perfect signal. The support from the community is magnificent, eveyone will help you, to overcome your issue 😉 .

~W 

Message 114 of 149
madhatter
Apprentice

did you try reapplying the firmware a couple times?  Some have reported that works.  For me, I didn't have time to mess with it, so I reverted to my trusty R6300v1.  I couldn't tell a performance difference and the 6300s are rock solid, I have 4 of them.  All operate perfectly on .78 firmware.

1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 115 of 149
madhatter
Apprentice

oops, I see that you had it working for a while and then it started to fail.  Sorry about that

1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 116 of 149
SteveWellings
Initiate

Just want to add my name to the list of people with 5 Ghz problems after going to .30.  Had no issues with .28.  Went to .30, and now couldn't connect to the 5 Ghz channel.  The SSID would randomly appear and disappear as being available on devices.  When you did try to authenticate the device to it, it would say the password was bad even when it wasn't.  I also noticed on the home screen of the basic tab on the router, the 5 GHz SSID and password no longer scroll by.  Was able to get reconnected to the 5 Ghz channel by back reving to .28 - though back reving did not fix the 5 Ghz SSID and password not scrolling on the home screen.  Factory resetting did not fix these issues either, and I tried various combinations of FW/factory reset.  I can make the 5 Ghz problem come and go by just going back and forth between .28 and .30.  Definitely an issue with the FW.  Maybe there are some slight differences hardware wise in the total R7000 manufacturing run, that weren't acounted for in the FW, that have created this issue?  Could explain why some have this issue and others do not.

Have never had an issue on all previous FW upgrades.  Will not just click on "Update" automatically anymore after what happened - been trying to sort this out off and on for a couple weeks when I could spare the time.  Googling didn't turn up anything on it but these forums did for me today!  Tnx!

Message 117 of 149
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

Welcome to Community!

I would like to ask if all of your 5GHz devices are having problems with the 5GHz of the router. Please provide the exact model number that are having this issue.

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 118 of 149

Hardware VersionR7000

Firmware VersionV1.0.4.30_1.1.67

The issue is intermittent, and I have not been around/paying close attention recently (I type this from a hardwired connection - so much better). I experienced the issue where both regular and guest 5G frequencies stopped broadcasting entirely despite being active in the firmware settings. The issue lasted at least 24 hours, I flopped over to 2.4g in the interim, I think it lasted 48-72 hours, then they magically came back.  I also experience the issue of intermittently flaky 5G connections, drops/disconnects, etc. Devices wirelessly attached to 5g are a couple windows phones (lumia 1020 and 925), an android phone (so much malware!  LG cheapo model...actually might not be on 5g come to think of it, not sure, it's not mine but am aware it experiences frequent disconnects), and an ms surface rt.  Diagnosing network congestion with another device displayed that the frequencies I am on are clean.

At this moment I am not experiencing any obvious issues, but it is super frustrating when it occurs.

Message 119 of 149
Retired_Member
Not applicable

unfortunately I have to agree with others that this issue has happend for me too, twice, it didn't happen before, but this week I had connectivity issue with the 5Ghz band, however it doesn't have such a big imapct on my work/network, but still ... 

it would be great, if Netgear Team pay more attention to this router! everyone knows, that this router is robust, but the Stock Firmware is not very stable ... , sad 😞

MODEL:       R7000

FW Version: V1.0.4.30_1.1.67

Message 120 of 149
madhatter
Apprentice

I don't understand the meaning of the word "robust". I guess.  I tried the 7000 and found it to be overpriced and underperforming.  I think "robust" should be applied to wine and removed from techie lingo ... it is such an overused word.

1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 121 of 149
madhatter
Apprentice

curious, how many exact different model numbers of R7000's are there?

1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 122 of 149
Retired_Member
Not applicable

As you may know, This isn't some linguistic forum, so you may apply it to whatever category you may want, we (at least "I") don't care, and if you see the benchmarks, r7000 has performed better than the competitor (Asus) and like I said in my previous post, you can try XVortex-FW as well, it's very stable, has strong signal and outstanding (should we remove outstanding from technology field as well?! :|) speed.

Message 123 of 149
netwrks
Master

@madhatter wrote:

I don't understand the meaning of the word "robust". I guess.  I tried the 7000 and found it to be overpriced and underperforming.  I think "robust" should be applied to wine and removed from techie lingo ... it is such an overused word.

I agree. No idea why Robust was ever used in techie jargon. I would have to say, this stuff is anything but robust!!

Message 124 of 149
madhatter
Apprentice

not being critical of this forum, it's that over the last few years this word has become as over used as the phrase "at the end of the day" ...  or "jusst saying" 

1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 125 of 149
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E