Re: Nighthawk R6700 crashes almost daily

mmaxd
Aspirant

Nighthawk R6700 crashes almost daily

A few months back, I purchased this router. As part of setting it up, I updated the firmware to the latest version. Once up and running, it began to basically crash every couple of days. By "crash" I mean that my WiFi networks were no longer available, my TV which is hardwired into the router had no internet connection, and the power light and the light for the port that the TV is plugged into turned red. I could fix the problem by unplugging the router for ~10 seconds and then plugging it back in. Doing that 3-4 times a week isn't really an option though.

In doing some research, I learned that upgrading the firmware may have been the issue. So I did a factory reset of the router and went through the setup process again, but this time did NOT upgrade it. It still continued to crash, though.

Does anyone have thoughts on what could be causing this? Let me know if other spec/info are needed. Thank you!

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
myersw
Master

Doing a factory reset does not change the firmware version so you are still on the new version that you seem to think has given you problems. Knowing the crap firmware Netgear is putting out I would not be surprised. In order to get to the older version you have to reinstall it. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 2 of 4
mmaxd
Aspirant

Thank you! I currently have firmware version V1.2.0.16_1.0.1

How do I find old firmware versions at this point?

Message 3 of 4
myersw
Master

Go to Netgear download center. Select your router and you will get a list of firmware and other stuff. This will be the most current. Look down at the lower right and you will see a little purple pointer. Click on it and you will get a list of previous firmware. You are on your own at that point if you do not know the version that worked for you. Might be a download try and see a few times. I always do firmware updates manually do not like automagic updates. Remember to do a reset after the firmware install. I save the file away then on PC for future use. You will need to download the file and unzip it then install though the UI. Steps are in the manual and here on line. To get you started here is the link to the download site.

https://www.netgear.com/support/download/

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E