Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7000: OSX printer sharing

nnnn
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000: OSX printer sharing

I have a small office of Macs and an HP LaserJet 3050.

I used to have it shared via Bonjour from an Apple Airport Extreme base station, but have replaced that with a Netgear R7000 Nighthawk.

So far, I've gotten it to work with the Netgear USB Control Center app. The problem with this app is that anytime you want to print, you have to launch the app, connect to the printer (as long as one of your co-workers hasn't left for lunch after forgetting to disconnect from it), print your document, manually disconnect, and close the app. Not efficient.

I'd like to get it working via Bonjour, which this support document suggests is possible. However, when I get to step 5, it shows a pop-up menu appearing when I press the '+' button in Printer Preferences. This doesn't happen (at least not in OSX 10.9.5). Instead, it pops up an "Add" window with the following tabs: "Default", "Fax", "IP", "Windows". Should I be punching something in to the IP tab?

Main goal here is to have a shared printer that appears in everyone's printer list, and can be printed directly to hassle-free. Possible?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
nnnn
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk R7000: OSX printer sharing

Solved. The ol' unplug/replug seemed to do the trick. Even though the R7000 had been seeing the printer fine (ReadyShare USB Control Center based printing was successful), it wasn't serving it up over Bonjour. Unplugging USB and plugging in again has fixed it.

On OSX 10.10 and higher, it appears as documented in the dropdown menu from "+" under "Nearby Printers"

ON OSX 10.9 and below, it appears in the "Default" tab of the "Add" window

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
VE6CGX
Master

I am not familiar with that particula printer. Is it capable of LAN port connection or wireless connection

to the router? For me I use color laser multi-function printer wirelessly connected to a router.

Message 2 of 6
TheEther
Guru

@nnnn wrote:
I'd like to get it working via Bonjour, which this support document suggests is possible. However, when I get to step 5, it shows a pop-up menu appearing when I press the '+' button in Printer Preferences. This doesn't happen (at least not in OSX 10.9.5). Instead, it pops up an "Add" window with the following tabs: "Default", "Fax", "IP", "Windows". Should I be punching something in to the IP tab?

Try selecting the "Default" tab.  My Bonjour-reachable printers show up there.

Message 3 of 6
nnnn
Aspirant

The printer doesn't have any special networking, just USB connection.

I just assumed that when the Nighthawk claimed it could share USB printers with OSX, it meant it would do it in a more OS-native, convenient way than having users individually manually connect to the printer through a third-party app and freeze out all other users while they're connected.

Is the link I shared just referring to printers with their own Bonjour network sharing? It mentions connecting the printers via USB, which led me to believe none of the printer's own networking capabilities were involved.

Message 4 of 6
TheEther
Guru

The link you referenced certainly states like the Nighthawk can share a USB printer via Bonjour.  The R7000 manual, however, makes no mention of Bonjour support.

Message 5 of 6
nnnn
Aspirant

Solved. The ol' unplug/replug seemed to do the trick. Even though the R7000 had been seeing the printer fine (ReadyShare USB Control Center based printing was successful), it wasn't serving it up over Bonjour. Unplugging USB and plugging in again has fixed it.

On OSX 10.10 and higher, it appears as documented in the dropdown menu from "+" under "Nearby Printers"

ON OSX 10.9 and below, it appears in the "Default" tab of the "Add" window

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7