Nighthawk R7000 and Virgin Media SH3 Slow WiFi Speeds

Keegs
Guide

Nighthawk R7000 and Virgin Media SH3 Slow WiFi Speeds

Evening.

I have recently purchased a Nighthawk R7000 Router to pair with my Virgin Media SH3 as I was fed up with the drop outs that the SH3 was suffering from.

I have managed to get everything up and running via the Nighthawk App and all devices are connected and receiving internet.

My issue is that although I have a 350Mbps line (confirmed via the Nighthawk App and when connected via Ethernet) I am having major issues with anything connected via WiFi on 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. For instance the best I have managed from a speed test on my phone is 80Mbps and that is sitting within 1 metre of the Router.

It's a bit gutting as even though the SH3 was suffering from drop outs I was always able to get 300Mbps+ when near my Hub on WiFi.

I am using the latest Firmware (v1.0.9.64) and I have QoS and Traffic Management both switched off.

Any advice would be appreciated. I have carried out factory resets after updating the firmware and this still doesn't fix the issue.

Cheers in advance.

Chris.
Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 12

Re: Nighthawk R7000 and Virgin Media SH3 Slow WiFi Speeds

@Keegs wrote:

I have recently purchased a Nighthawk R7000 Router to pair with my Virgin Media SH3 as I was fed up with the drop outs that the SH3 was suffering from.

Have you put the Virgin box into modem only (bridge) mode?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 12
Keegs
Guide

Hi.

It's all in Bridge Mode (Modem Mode)

The light on the SH3 has gone pink/magenta so it's working fine.

Just puzzled as to how the WiFi can be so bad! 350Mbps to the router and only 100Mbps max being sent out even next to the router.

Chris.
Message 3 of 12
Keegs
Guide

Message 4 of 12
Keegs
Guide

Message 5 of 12
Keegs
Guide

Above are screenshots of the 2 speed tests from Modem to Router and then from Router out via WiFi

The upload speed seems to be transmitting correctly but it is the download speed that is suffering.

I don't see how the Router can receive 330Mbits from the Modem but only send out 36Mbits but on the upload side it receives 37Mbits and sends out 36Mbits.

Again this is sitting directly next to the router connected by 5Ghz WiFi and the QoS and Traffic Management functions are turned off.

Chris.
Message 6 of 12
Keegs
Guide

BUMP
Message 7 of 12
Keegs
Guide

Afternoon.

I have heard that downgrading the firmware from .64 to .42 might solve the download speed issue as it seems to only be happening since the recent firmwares and most people claim .42 was the last stable version.

Problem is that Netgear have blocked installation of old firmware in the newest version so how do we get around this?

Cheers.
Message 8 of 12

Problem is that Netgear have blocked installation of old firmware in the newest version so how do we get around this?

Nope. Can you tell us where you got that silly idea from? Then someone can correct whoever gave you the wrong information.

It is always possible to roll back to earlier firmware.

There is support material, including a manual and older firmware, for the R7000 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> R7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

Visit Firmware and Software Downloads.

Read the release notes for the version you want to install and follow the instructions.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 9 of 12
Keegs
Guide

I'm sure I had seen it mentioned a few times when browsing this forum but my apologies if I am wrong.

I'll have a go at downgrading the firmware tonight then.

I know common practice is to factory reset after upgrading or downgrading the firmware but if I downgrade quickly tonight without a factory reset after will it work normally overnight until I have a chance to factory reset and set it up properly tomorrow?
Message 10 of 12

@Keegs wrote:

I know common practice is to factory reset after upgrading or downgrading the firmware ...,

Only if you have post-flash issues. Avoid a reset if possible.

Try it and see.

Just another user.

Message 11 of 12
Keegs
Guide

So flashed the Router back to .42 and was having alot of issues with the 2.4Ghz range with my devices.

Carried out a manual upgrade using the .64 downloaded file connected to a laptop by ethernet and after a factory reset I now have full speeds both download and upload.

Thanks for the advice.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E