Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

Nighthawk X10 R9000 can't turn off wifi to individual devices?

Just purchased this top of the line Netgear router and was shocked to find out thta it does not have the ability to shut off wifi service to individual devices! I was previously using a ASUS AC3100 router which their router phone app does this. Why would Netgear not think this is an important parental control feature? When you are try to get your kids on their phone or ipads it a great feature.

Please let me know if Netgrear will add this feature in the future to their phone genie app.

Thanks!

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
Highlighted
Master

Re: Nighthawk X10 R9000 can't turn off wifi to individual devices?

Netgear Genie tries to do this but misses to mark according to some past postings and Asus use a dd-wrt based firmware different from Netgears frimware but I have heard that there is version of dd-wrt for the r9000 but not if worth using and how well it works.

Message 2 of 7
Highlighted

Hard to tell what you are trying to do from the limited information you provide – are these  devices with access details, or anyone in the outside world? – but have you investigated the use of Access Control on the R9000?

See page 44 of the manual, which is somewhere here:

>>>R9000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR<<<

Which phone genie app is this? Android? iThing?

The Android app buries access control in the Network Map. I can't afford an iThing.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 7
Highlighted
Aspirant

Our Asus Router can be controlled through a phone app. The app allows the user to shut off internet services for individual devices that are using the router, both wired and wirless decives, like an iphone, ipad ps3, laptop... This is a easy way to make sure our kids are not on their phones or ipads in the middle of the night or if we want them to take a break. I was just surprised that the top of the line netgear router failed to have this feature. I seems like a easy thing to program into the app and it's a great prerental control. I spoke with netgear and this feature is currently unavailable.

I hope this will be added soon...

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 4 of 7
Highlighted
Master

I can see what you want to do Netgear's firmware is limited and the parental controls in Genie  some say do not work as well as they want, I heard that some say the r9000 has a dd-wrt firmware version but have not tryed it or know if it is worth the installation on the router or what features you may lose or gain may be worth looking into before you make any choices about get features like the Asus had as the Asus used a dd-wrt based firmware. Your are wanting to block mac address for both the wired and wifi devices I have seen others routers allow this just selecting the device without a app installed on your computer or other devices.

Message 5 of 7
Highlighted
Aspirant

Has there been any traction one this feature?

I just got he R9000 for Christmas and would also love the feature to disable specific devices.

BTW... Loving the this router so far.  I also came from an Asus router.

Message 6 of 7
Highlighted
Aspirant

I went back to ASUS AC 5300 and it work fairly consistently with the phone and always work thourgh a desktop or laptop on WiFi. Still very dissappointed that the top of the line Netgrear does not have this feature.

Message 7 of 7