Highlighted
Aspirant

Nighthawk X6 R7900 Lower LAN side Throughput

My ISP upgraded my speed to 500mbps. Yea! Well, not so much because my computer, which is connected to the Nighthawk X6 R7900 via a GS605 switch, cannot even approach that speed. Most tests put it around 190mbps. When I use the router's built in speedtest I get the old 248mbps. When I connect my laptop directly to the ISP Cable Modem the speeds are around 480mbps.

I have reset the router (major PITA because it is not easy getting back into the router to upload my backup settings) and still no joy. I test the router's speed (both on the router and with my desktop via Ookla's app) with a clean setup, meaning my backup is not yet loaded and nothing else except the switch is connected, and still no joy.

Questions: 1) Is there some hidded setting or tweak needed to get the new speed? 2) What else could be causing my speed issue? 3) Unrelated to the above, why must I be connected to the Internet before I can access the router after a reset? Major PITA!

I'm not exactly a noob on networking but neither am I an expert either so any help is very much appreciated and will follow with many kudos!

DR.PC

Message 1 of 6
Highlighted
Master

Re: Nighthawk X6 R7900 Lower LAN side Throughput

t

Questions: 1) Is there some hidded setting or tweak needed to get the new speed? 2) What else could be causing my speed issue? 3) Unrelated to the above, why must I be connected to the Internet before I can access the router after a reset? Major PITA!

You should be able to access the router even if it is not connected to the Internet/modem. We need to know what your setup is. What modem are you using, what is the firmware version, number not something like latest. 

If for example, the router is set to AP mode then it would be relying on the ISP router to provide IP address. Reason to know what is in front of router, is it just a modem or modem/router and how the router is configured.

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 2 of 6
Highlighted
Aspirant

OK, the modem is an ARRIS model DG2470A, P/N DG00DLQ2470. As for its firmware, I have no clue because I cannot access that part. (at least that is what the ISP people say) The modem belongs to the ISP - Comporium.

The router is bridged from the modem, so not in AP mode. Its firmware version is V1.0.3.10_10.0.38 and according to the update check there is no other version available.

Setup is: ISP Modem -> R7900 -> GS605 Switch -> Win 10 (1803)

Hope this sheds some light on the situation!

Dr.PC

Message 3 of 6
Highlighted
Aspirant

Any ideas?

Message 4 of 6
Highlighted
Master

Sorry I do not have any specific ideas outside of reset and reconfigure. If you do a reset, see if the speed is good without doing any configuration, except for maybe the WAN connection. 

If you search the forums you will find you are not the only one experiencing these issues. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 5 of 6
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thank Bill for your time thinking on this issue. Yes, I've noticed through my research that this phenomena seems to be quite common with not just the R7900 but others as well. Some have had success with resets, I have not. After 4 very frustrating resets I am still seeing the slow speeds. I still have not figured out why the reset process seems to get stuck at the "looking for other routers" process. This makes a reset take over 30 minutes before I finally get to the login window.

I will over the weekend install an older router to see if I can recreate this slow WAN-to LAN speed issue. I'll let you know what I find, if that data will be helpful.

Dr.PC

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements