Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X6 R8000 Slow Internet Speed

kilthor
Aspirant

Nighthawk X6 R8000 Slow Internet Speed

Anybody else having issues with speed after the firmware upgrade to 1.0.4.84 that just came out??  I have 1GB internet speed and before the firmware upgrade speed test would show between 920mb and 960mb download speed.  After the upgrade it now shows 230mb-250mb.  All advanced features such as QOS, parental controls static routes, etc....are all turned off.  Is this a known issue with the firmware?  I have plugged directly into the modem and I get the 900mb+ speed.

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 Slow Internet Speed

what modem is it connected to? 

did you try a factory reset? sometimes that helps after a firmware change. 

If it doesn't, I'd simply downgrade the firmware. 

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to not enable Traffic Meter. I this slowed speeds down.

@kilthor wrote:

Anybody else having issues with speed after the firmware upgrade to 1.0.4.84 that just came out??  I have 1GB internet speed and before the firmware upgrade speed test would show between 920mb and 960mb download speed.  After the upgrade it now shows 230mb-250mb.  All advanced features such as QOS, parental controls static routes, etc....are all turned off.  Is this a known issue with the firmware?  I have plugged directly into the modem and I get the 900mb+ speed.

Message 3 of 6
kilthor
Aspirant

Factory reset is an absolute last resort.  I did find the issue.  I had to uncheck Access Control.  Netgear needs to fix their routers firmware.  There is no good reason that having access control checked should slow speeds from 900+MB to 250MB.  This leaves my network extremely vulnerable as I cannot decide to allow or block a device.   This should be considered HIGH priority to correct and maybe a defect in the product.

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Access Controls do no effect being vulnerable. 

Please make contact with NG support and let them know what your experiencing. The more they know the more apt they will get it fixed. https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

When access control is enabled, the router has to inspect traffic. Which requires disabling ctf (cut through forwarding) that is needed to hit gigabit speeds. That was how devices released in 2013/2014 (as this was) managed to hit gigabit speeds. With ctf disabled, the cpu has to inspect the traffic and doesn't have the power to inspect in realtime at gigabit speeds. Thats why it causes speeds to drop. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7