Nighthawk X6s doesn‘t allow my Wifi SSID but all my other Nighthawks are ...

zwuba
Tutor

Nighthawk X6s doesn‘t allow my Wifi SSID but all my other Nighthawks are ...

Hi Folks, 

First off my SSID is "Zwu's WiFi" and there's no way I want to change it due to >50 devices using it already.

I own 3 Nighthawk devices (X8, X10 and X6s) and I've been using my Wifi SSID ever since and I've never ever had any issue with it (even with older Routers).

Now when setting up my X6s it is complaining that the SSID may only contain out of 32 characters so I removed one character after another and found out that the ' is the issue!

As soon as I enter any SSID that contains a ' my X6s does not allow me to save my settings even if I disable SSID broadcasting and turn of the 2,4Ghz net.

Sounds like a firmware restriction - maybe too restrictive ... 

Is there a way to bypass this check possibly a firmware update in near future?

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 10
zwuba
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk X6s doesn‘t allow my Wifi SSID but all my other Nighthawks are ...

Just did a short lookup about how the SSID syntax is defined:

The maximum length of a WiFi network name is 32 bytes/characters.

SSIDs are case sensitive, thus "abc" is treated as a different name than "aBc".

Special characters (spaces, periods, dashes, underscores etc) are allowed. Its probably best to avoid the pipe character (vertical line). And, any use of a special character may be asking for trouble.

So by reading this it's clearly a firmware bug to disallow my choosen SSID, isn't it???

Message 2 of 10
antinode
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X6s doesn‘t allow my Wifi SSID but all my other Nighthawks are ...

> [...] any SSID that contains a ' [...]

I'd call it a bug, but Netgear might disagree.  I've seen other cases
where Netgear router firmware mishandled special characters (PPP
credentials), so I would not be amazed by this in an SSID.

I've also seen a case where one router had been perfectly happy using
an SSID which contained an apostrophe, but its replacement would not
accept it.  (Both makers/models long forgotten.)  In that case, there
were few devices to reprogram, so we just gave up, chose a simpler SSID,
and reprogrammed the devices.

> [...] possibly a firmware update in near future?

I would not hold my breath waiting.  Especially if you don't complain
through an official support channel.

Message 3 of 10
zwuba
Tutor

I don't think Netgear will be able to convince me that their X8 and X10 Router happily accepts this SSID and the X6s does not because it is not "correct" Smiley Happy

... but yes you are correct I will need to complain through a "official" channel - can you somehow point me where to find this address?

Message 4 of 10
antinode
Guru

> [...] point me where to find this address?

https://www.netgear.com/support/
      https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Message 5 of 10
zwuba
Tutor

Thx antinode!!

I just manually checked my firmware on that X6s EX8000 and it says 1.0.1.164 and when I'm trying to perform an automatic firmware update check it does never end ... the wheel keeps spinning forever.

So I was manually checking and found that there's a way newer version 1.0.1.202 available so I loaded it right away and used the manual firmware upload but the X6 is keeping complaining that this firmware in INCORRECT for this device!

Then I tried to load a little older version (1.0.1.196) but with the same result ...

IMHO the story about the SSID is purely a firmware issue so i hope the latest one could fix it - it's at least 45 builds newer than the one I've installed Smiley Sad

I think I will try to do a factory reset on it once again and start from scratch or does anyone know this kind of strange behavior for the firmware update???

Message 6 of 10
antinode
Guru

> [...] used the manual firmware upload but the X6 is keeping
> complaining that this firmware in INCORRECT for this device!

Which file did you (manually) specify?  (Hint: "<anything>.zip" would
be the wrong answer.  "<something>.img" seems to be the right thing.)

"EX8000" is the model number on the product label?  ("Nighthawk X6s"
is not a model number.)

> IMHO the story about the SSID is purely a firmware issue [...]

Sure, but I'd guess that it's an _old_ firmware bug, so I still
wouldn't hold my breath.

Message 7 of 10
zwuba
Tutor

Ohhhhh damn you are right ... I just uploaded the zip-archive thinking it will unzip by itself ... damn stupid old man here Smiley Happy

I will repeat my test once I'm back home and let you know!

Oh and yess it is showing EX8000 - sorry for the confusing namings!

Message 8 of 10
zwuba
Tutor

Alright - once you're doing it the way it's designed it's working Smiley Happy

Installed the latest firmware and now my SSID is accepted and working perfectly! 

Thx for the help

Message 9 of 10

You seem to have sorted out your problem, but for future reference the EX8000 is a "WiFi Mesh Extender".

You posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers.

If you need more help in future, you might get better and quicker replies, and find other answers, over in the appropriate section for your device:

WiFi Range Extenders & Nighthawk Mesh - NETGEAR Communities

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E