Highlighted

Nighthawk r7000 wifi/ hard wire failure

Here is my question.  I have had this router for about three years, it has work flawlessly untill around august, I noticed my isp speed was dropping to barely thirty mb. I thought it was the isp and really didn't worry about it, untill about a month ago, I troubleshooted everything I got network realated and did a reset on the nighthawk speeds went up to over 200 where they should be at.  Then the router would reboot and stay in a loop where the lights would be off and it wasn't rebooting, after unplugging a few times, it would actually boot up.  I was thinking maybe something didn't load correctly so I rebooted and started over again.  I made sure the firmware was up todate.  speeds are amazing. Now I noticed my wifi to my connections and hard wire would be dropped, it would say connected but not internet. I would have to relog back into my ssid or reset the router for things to work. This is getting annoying and thoughts would be appreciated.  firmware is up todate, my isp router is working fine, I checked that and actually used that for awhile no problems, I did call netgear but my warrany expired, they bascially gave me free advice on the steps that I have already taken. Is their something I am missing to cause all this all of sudden or could it be hardware failure.  Thank you. 

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 17
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Nighthawk r7000 wifi/ hard wire failure

If you truly have the R7000, firmware "up to date" isn't necessarily a good thing. And it doesn't help a whole lot as they change frequently. An actual number helps more for us and for future people looking at this.

The R7000 firmware has had issues for quite a while. The most agreed upon stable version has been the .42 version of the firmware. 

If you're on a newer version, I'd recommend downgrading to the .42 version over a hardwired connection to the router. Then factory reset afterwards. And do a manual install. Don't use a backup configuration. 

What firmware ARE you on?

What modem are you connecting to?

CM2000-> Arris W31-> GS716v2-> TP-Link M9Plus
Message 2 of 17
Highlighted

Router firmware is attached photo. My ISP router is zyxel ac 2.4 and 5. Model is emg3415-b10a it's a pretty good router I had to fight with cbell to get it. So you are thinking possibly firmware when I updated and now have the netgear security which I dont use this seems when the problems started
Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 17
Highlighted
Guru

sounds like more than 1 issue.

Issue 1 would be the firmware. I'd recommend a downgrade and see how it works.

Issue 2 would be the fact that you're using a modem/router combo device(Zyxel) and then another router in router mode (r7000). this puts you in a double nat setup.

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

If you're using the routing function of the zyxel, then putting the R7000 in AP mode is probably the easiest fix. Otherwise, you can put your zycel in passthrough/modem only mode. Contact your isp or xycel for the best way to do that with that specific device if you go that route. 

Edited this part out. Was thinking of a different post.  

Message 4 of 17
Highlighted

I will downgrade firmware , I believe when I first set up my router I was using only as an ap. With the resetting I didn't realize I placed this is router mode. So I will change that. I just realize my router is assigning ip address 192.168.0.1 which my ISP router should be giving the ip 192.168.200.1 etc. One other thing my zyxel the wifi is off I cant bridge or really change the settings since two of my tvs are wireless and have their only bridge/modem fioptics. I will double check what you mention thank you.
Message 5 of 17
Highlighted
Guru

I hope it works well for you! 

Let us know how it goes

Message 6 of 17
Highlighted

I will thank you for your help
Message 7 of 17
Highlighted

One last question. If the above steps I correct , was causes the router to simply reboot and stay in a loop. A few minutes ago I was surfing the internet and noticed I had no connection and I look at my router their are no lights on. Then two mins later it reboots
Message 8 of 17
Highlighted

Message 9 of 17
Highlighted

I rolled back to 1.0.9.64 firmware. Hope this works as well
Message 10 of 17
Highlighted
Guru

Also try flipping that router over. From the looks of it you have it wall mounted with the front facing up. heat rises and its got vents at the back and sides. maybe you're having some heat issues which is the death of electronics. 

Message 11 of 17
Highlighted

I was offered 35 for the router, since it getting old, I sold it, the router I was interested in nighthawk ax3000 it's on sale 99 from 199 do you have any thoughts or reviews. Or just stay with my isp router are they any good zyxel ac to be honest I have only used isp router for passthrough I have really used it as my router
Message 12 of 17
Highlighted
Guru

I've never used the RAX35/40 devices so I don't have a personal opinion of them currently. 

I have used the RAX200 but that's a whole different category of router in comparision. 

I hate to say this, but I'd probably try using just the Zyxel router and see how it works for a bit. If it doesn't cut it, then upgrade. 

I'm not pushing the RAX devices yet as the firmware still seems a little beta in terms of features and stability. It'll get there but it takes time for any new technology (wireless 6/AX) to mature. 

Message 13 of 17
Highlighted

Thank you. I will do that.
Message 14 of 17
Highlighted

After looking at reviews I went in bought a linksys wrt32x hopefully it's good as my old r7000
Message 15 of 17
Highlighted
Guru

hopefully it works well for you!

Message 16 of 17
Highlighted

Thank you.
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors