Nighthawk x10 dropping internet

ODoylerules16
Aspirant

Nighthawk x10 dropping internet

My nighthawk drops internet couple times a week.
The lights are still blinking white. They don’t turn red saying no internet.

I called charter they cleared up that it’s not the modem. I called net gear she told me to change things in the settings. And talked to fast and told me that she couldn’t repeat them unless I bought the warranty. If someone could please help me fix this before I throw it away. Thank you.
Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk x10 dropping internet

What firmware are you on?

Does it loose connection to hardwired devices as well or just the wireless?

When you say the internet drops but the wifi lights are still on, please expand this. Does your devices stay connected to the wifi and your just unable to browse, do you loose connection back to the router, tell me more.

What fixes the issue?

When you say you called charter and cleared up its not the modem. How do they know? What modem/firmware is it? 

More details is better than less as it helps narrow the problem. 

Thanks!

Current Setup: CM2000-> SXK30-> GS716v2-> Arris W31 x2-> Pi-hole->
Message 2 of 11
plemans
Guru

here's the support page for the x10. it has manual, firmware, etc. for more resources. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R9000

Message 3 of 11
ODoylerules16
Aspirant

I’m on the latest firmware. 1.0.4.28

Internet drop for all devices. WiFi and Ethernet. All devices are still connect to the router and the devices just say no internet. WiFi and Ethernet.

The internet light is blinking white and the 2.4 5ghz channel lights are blinking white.

How to fix it is a power off and power on

Charter said the modem has internet and the internet isn’t going through the router. I plugged my pc Into the modem and the pc worked. I don’t know the modem model. It’s just one charter gave me. Has a Ethernet plug and two phone jacks.

Tech support told me to change WiFi Chanels on 2.4 and 5. And told me to do 3 other things. But I couldn’t hear them and then I was told to buy the extension on tech support before she could repeat them.

My internet. Is 200 down and 10 up
Message 4 of 11
plemans
Guru

If you're loosing internet on both ethernet and wifi connected devices, it isn't your wifi channels. Its either the modem having issues or the router.

And charter saying the modem is still connected, doesn't really mean it is. All they're doing is sending a signal to the modem at that time and getting a response back. Its a fragment in time that they check.  The modem should have model numbers on the back of it.

Your kind of caught in a catch-22. You need to figure out if its truly a router problem or if its a modem problem. do you have a spare router or modem you could swap out to see if the problem still persists?

If you don't, you could always reset your router back to factory and just change the most basic settings (wifi) to make sure its not one of your settings causing the issue.  Or even rollback 1 version of the firmware to see if it was a firmware update that caused the problems.

another option, if its happening quite frequently, is just leave a computer connected directly to the modem and use it. If the problem crops up again, its a modem issue. If it stays solid the entire time, its more likely to be the router. 

Can you access your modem configuration page and post your connection speeds and logs? modem is usually at 192.168.100.1 but not always. See your modem providers manual for it.

So some options to try to narrow the problem. Let me know how it goes.  

Message 5 of 11
ODoylerules16
Aspirant

The problem is I’m not home during to the day to catch the internet go out. It goes out random times. I only know when it does cause my security cameras go down.

Also i believe on the charter thing. Cause when I plug my computer into the modem when there’s no internet. I have to reboot the modem so the pc can get internet.

When the internet goes out in the router. Everything says connect. No lights change on the modem or router.

It’s a really odd problem I can’t figure out. And I can’t log into the router when the internet is down.

The only way I can fix it when it goes down is a reboot of the router. When I get home I’ll trouble shoot some more.
Message 6 of 11
plemans
Guru

So when it goes down, you can't access the x10's configuration page? Can you ping it when it goes down?

I'd try a reset and then a rollback if it doesn't fix the issue. 

Message 7 of 11
ODoylerules16
Aspirant

No. When the internet goes down. And then when I try to go to router login.com I can’t log in it says no internet.

The lady at charter did say that when she said the modem was offline on her end. It was online at my end.
Message 8 of 11
ODoylerules16
Aspirant

Also I didn’t try to ping the router
Message 9 of 11
ODoylerules16
Aspirant

Also when I got off the phone with charter. And log into the router. It started checking the internet. I had to do a new password and log in for the router and gave me the option to change the names of the network and said thanks for setting up the router.
Message 10 of 11

Better hope it is not the router. I purchased mine last year from Best Buy and had it for about 4 months before it started to drop all the wired connections (sometimes both) every 3 to 4 hours. A few days to a week afterwards, it would lose all the configuration on a daily basis and sometimes twice in one day. I tried everything including reverting back to default firmware etc. I contacted Netgear support numerous times and no joy.  I asked for a refund which they offered to send me another refurb router and I said no way.  I paid for new not used and demanded they either send me a refund or a new router. They sent a new router after I said I would pursue legal action against them.  The new router seemed to have resolved the issues for a few months but it did lose the configuration settings about 3 times so far.  At least it was not occuring on a daily basis.  The new router does have an issue with being able to get to some sites it had been to previously or just random sites.  Once I reboot the router it works fine for a day or so before it does it again. I am stuck with this thing and trying to make the best of it.  I should have pursued a refund and got something else.  A $50 router is more reliable than this thing.  

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements