Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No Internet with R7800 and Arris TG862 Modem

OorTael5
Aspirant

No Internet with R7800 and Arris TG862 Modem

I'm trying to install a new Nighthawk AC2600 R7800 router with my existing Arris TG862 from Time Warner.  When I try to follow the installation instructions I can connect to the router's wifi but then there is no internet connection.  I spent over two hours last weekend troubleshooting with Netgear tech support only for them to decide I needed to exchange the router.  They even had me try to manually update the router firmware.

So I exchanged the router, and today I tried again. And I ended up with the same results.  When I connected to the router's wifi, it showed no internet connection but after a long time loading I was able to actually get through the initial setup steps this time -- all the way to naming the 2.4G and 5G networks, but then when I hit "Finish" it said connection had been reset and there was no internet connection. I put the modem in bridged mode and turned wireless off with no effect. I could not get back into router setup trying routerlogin or 192.168.1.1.  I tried powercycling the modem and router and all the normal steps.  

During my troubleshooting with the last router and this one, I also tried resetting both the modem and router and installing with the modem already in bridged mode and wifi off.  I tried connecting the router with LAN ports instead of the WAN port. I've factory resetted the modem and tried multiple times.  I tried multiple devices and I tried getting an internet connection wired to the router. I've confirmed that the ports work fine on the modem by connecting an ethernet cable directly to my laptop.

I feel like I have to be missing something that needs to be done with the modem to make this work.  I'd very much appreciate any ideas.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
LeeH
Prodigy

Re: No Internet with R7800 and Arris TG862 Modem

I assume you've tried testing your cables by using each one individually connected between your computer and the modem ensuring they all give you an internet connection.

Try using your computers MAC address in the modem.  Connect the computer up to the router and log into the routers web interface.  In the Basic tab select Internet.  Scroll down the page and under Router MAC Address select Use Computer MAC Address.  Click Apply at the top of the page.  Test out the router. If it didn't work try powering the router off then on.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
LeeH
Prodigy

I assume you've tried testing your cables by using each one individually connected between your computer and the modem ensuring they all give you an internet connection.

Try using your computers MAC address in the modem.  Connect the computer up to the router and log into the routers web interface.  In the Basic tab select Internet.  Scroll down the page and under Router MAC Address select Use Computer MAC Address.  Click Apply at the top of the page.  Test out the router. If it didn't work try powering the router off then on.

Message 2 of 5
William10a
Master

If a windows computer in the lower left corner you see a box for lan or a wifi symbol with yellow triangle on your screen on the task bar along the buttom of the screen or close depending on windows version and browser.

I use the same modem a hateful modem but have phone service with them and have to use.

Here is the way I fix my Internet connection problem I lose power

1 unplug the modem(remember to remove the battery as well) and router

2 let sit for a minute or two

3 plug modem back in(remember to put battery back)

4 wait for modem lock in

5 plug in router and wait for it to lock

6 turn on a computer and check to see if you have the Internet now

I hope this helps

Message 3 of 5
OorTael5
Aspirant

LeeH, never in my life have I wanted to reach through a computer screen and hug someone. That worked, and it was such a simple fix. Thank you so much!  As an aside, I can't believe the Netgear tech support couldn't suggest that during the course of a two hour conversation...

Message 4 of 5
William10a
Master

The problem is the cheap modem/router that the cable company uses with a good modem you would never have  had this  problem it is a 2.4ghz n router to top it off.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7