Re: Parental Controls Impacting Game Connectivity

Wiziwig
Follower

Parental Controls Impacting Game Connectivity

When I enable the Parental Controls via the NetGenie app, my son is unable to connect to online gaming (Minecraft) through his WiiU gaming system.  The WiiU console says that it us unable to connect and I should check the DNS settings.

This happens regardless of the filtering level selected (low, medium, high, custom). Even when I exclude this WiiU from the parental control settings under the device manager (setting to "none") he is still unable to connect to online gaming.  Once I completely disable all global parental controls for the entire network of devices (setting global filtering level to "none"), he is able to connect freely with no error or issues. 

I have tried multiple setting changes, including custom filtering where I only block certain categories, but the issue remains  Obviously, I would like to be able to filter certain content on other newtork devices (phones, etc.) without limiting access to online gaming through the WiiU device.

Help appreciated. 

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Parental Controls Impacting Game Connectivity

try putting the wiiU in the netgears dmz
https://kb.netgear.com/1118/How-do-I-configure-a-device-to-be-in-the-DMZ-on-my-NETGEAR-router
Current setup: CAX80->Trendnet TEG-S380->GS716T-> RBK752->pi-hole
1.4gig download/50mbps upload
We’re members of the public helping out on our own time.
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E