Power brick works fine but router doesnt power up netgear nighthawk r8000

aswath
Aspirant

Power brick works fine but router doesnt power up netgear nighthawk r8000

Hi,

I recently purchased a r8000 out of ebay ( so no warranty) it was working fine when one day i had a power surge and when it came back  my router wouldnt  turn on  i thought the power brick might have gotten fried or something and went to local  shop to check if he had alternatives. The tech person checked my brick and told me its working fine  you dont need a new one,so  whenever i tried plugging it on i keep hearing a tick sound ( like how a clock hand moves if you listin slowly)  and all the lights flicker like it has low voltage . Im not sure what the problem here and i spent a lot on this router .. any help would be appreciated

Message 1 of 7
myersw
Master

Re: Power brick works fine but router doesnt power up netgear nighthawk r8000

Sounds like the router is probably "fried".  Sounds like the power surge damaged the power supply in the router. Only other possibility is that the power brick will test fine with no load, but under load it fails. Hard to know without another one to test with.
Now you know why it is recommended to use a battery backup with surge protection. Can get a small one for around $50-60 US. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 2 of 7
William10a
Master

A static test of a power supply can be missed leading it needs to be under a load to see if is work correctly. Do you smell any burning order from the router?

A simple light bulb rated for the voltage of the adaptor would give a quick test if the power supply is working or not by lighting up at full brightness or not a old trick to test early tv switch mode power supplies and discharged them.

remember a led based light bulb will not work since the voltage droping circuits in them use a capacitor to drop the voltage due to a resistance  cause cause by the value of the cap and frquency of the line voltage alone with a load resistor

and current limiting resistor, and the dc volt will not respond the same the cap will block it in must casts.

Message 3 of 7
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi aswath,

I would say double check the power supply with the other user's suggestions. Have you tried doing a factory reset on the r8000?

If you are also able to use a different power supply that is correct for the device.

Please let us know. :]

- Jason N

Message 4 of 7
myersw
Master

@JasonN wrote:

Hi aswath,

I would say double check the power supply with the other user's suggestions. Have you tried doing a factory reset on the r8000?

If you are also able to use a different power supply that is correct for the device.

Please let us know. :]

- Jason N

How does he do a reset when it won't power up?

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 5 of 7
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi myersw,

By pressing the factory reset button on the back. Aswath was mentioning that the lights flicker when he plugs in the power supply. It is worth a try to see if pressing the factory reset button does anything.

- Jason N

Message 6 of 7
Pschiele79
Aspirant

Hey I have this same router, I was lucky enough to buy mine off some idiot for dirt cheap(we won't discuss where he got it!) He didn't have a proper power supply with it, it was 12V 3A and it's supposed to have 12v 5A And I'm also running TomatoUSB SHIBBY F/W, I experienced identical problrms. I ordered a 12V 5A power adapter off Amazon for under $20 , now this thing soars, I've got the transmit power boosted and it works down the street. With Netgear Firmware it sucked 100%. Now it's the greatest router I ever owned. I'm gonna buy a used R7900 off FB marketplace for $20 And do a mesh setup. Hope that info helps you.
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E