Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 Nighthawk Locks/Blocks CD/DVD Drive

mzinkan
Aspirant

R7000 Nighthawk Locks/Blocks CD/DVD Drive

Hello,

R7000 Nighthawk updated to latest firmware within the past month.  I don't know where to find the version via the Genie software, but there are no newer firmware updates available to me.

My PC runs Wndows 7 Ultimate, 64-Bit, in a home environment.  The router is used wirelessly.

I just discovered that a fairly recent problem with data discs not being recognized by my CD/DVD drive (they're immediately ejected, with a message to insert a blank disc, as it thinks that I want to burn to a new disc), is because my R7000 Nighthawk router has the drive locked!  I learned this using a free program called "Unlocker."  So, if I want to install new software, I must open Unlocker and unlock the drive, first!  I tried it again today, using a slideshow disc.  Unlocker showed that the Netgear Genie was the only thing locking the optical drive!

HOW IS THIS EVEN POSSIBLE?

Any ideas/suggestions?

Should I revert to a previous firmware version for my router?  If so, how do I accomplish that?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sincerely,

MikeZ

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 36

Accepted Solutions
mzinkan
Aspirant

Re: R7000 Nighthawk Locks/Blocks CD/DVD Drive

Hello Again Folks,

Yesterday afternoon, Netgear sent me an email wanting me to to test a new version of Genie.  Upon opening my email today and seeing the notice, I downloaded and installed the updated version and put it to tthe test.

I am happy to report that I did not find any issues with this updated version of the Genie software!!!

I would guess that it will be made available for download soon.

Sincerely.

Mike Zinkan

View solution in original post

Message 26 of 36

All Replies
microchip8
Master

Obviously the solution is not to use the Genie app and to report the issue to NETGEAR so they can fix it.

That said, I find it hard to believe that the Genie app will lock your CD/DVD drives, or the R7000. The router itself has no access to your PC drives at all. Don't always believe third-party software in what it says

if you want to go back to a previous firmware version, just flash that version. There's nothing special needed. Just make sure to reset to factory default afterwards

Message 2 of 36
IrvSp
Master

Never heard of this either? Sort of hard to beleive.

Do some troubleshooting to pin down the problem.

Any of these steps might give some answers:

• First I'd look at the EVENT VIEWER and see if you can locate any sort of entry for the same time that the DVD failed?
  • Boot into SAFE MODE and see if it happens?
  • Disconnect the network connection and see if it still is a problem (disconnect if wireless, disable a wired connection).
  • Check to see if programs or services that might use a DVD drive are active in TASK MANAGER, and if so, close/end them.
  • Make sure you have the latest driver for your DVD drive from the Manufacturer's site.

"  I don't know where to find the version via the Genie software,", well it is on the top right of the Genie imbedded in the router viewed with a browser. You need your GATEWAY address, most likely 192.168.1.1, and you get that by opening a COMMAND PROMT (Windows Key + R, enter CMD) and entering IPCONFIG.

========

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

========

Now open a browser and use the Default Gateway as the URL. Then you'll get prompted for USERID and PASSWORD. Enter admin and password and press enter. You'll then see the firmware version on the top right.

Message 3 of 36
mzinkan
Aspirant

Thanks for your response.

OK, I diabled NETGEAR Genie from autostarting and had no problems accessing data discs in my optical drive.

I started Genie, and could not access my optical drive (it went through the same routine of ejecting and asking for a blank disc).

I opened Unlocker, and Genie was again the culprit, so I unlocked the drive.

I could then access the data disc.

This is repeatable.

There were no applications running via Task Manager.

SO, the problem IS the Genie program.  For what it's worth, my Genie program is v2.4.26.

Message 4 of 36
mzinkan
Aspirant

Thanks for your response.

OK, I diabled NETGEAR Genie from autostarting and had no problems accessing data discs in my optical drive.

I started Genie, and could not access my optical drive (it went through the same routine of ejecting and asking for a blank disc).

I opened Unlocker, and Genie was again the culprit, so I unlocked the drive.

I could then access the data disc.

This is repeatable.

There were no applications running via Task Manager.

SO, the problem IS the Genie program.  For what it's worth, my Genie program is v2.4.26.

I will look for a way to notify NETGEAR about this particular issue.

Message 5 of 36
mzinkan
Aspirant

Hello,

I don't see a way to contact Support to advise them of my issue, without paying to do so.

If anyone has access, please forward my issue to them.

Thank you in advance,

Mike

Message 6 of 36
IrvSp
Master

I CAN CONFIRM this on my PC. Dell XPS 8700 with a Toshiba PLDS DVD+-RW DH-16AES and running Windows Genie 2.4.6 version.

Oddly if I put a R/W DVD already burned it isn't rejected if it isn't a bootable drive. All I see is a DESKTOP.INI ready to be written. A bootable drive is rejected with the Dialog box asking for a drive. Once Genie is EXITED the drive works fine and all files are readable.

Windows Genie isn't worth using it seems. Use a BROWSER instead.

@ElaineM, can you report this problem.

Message 7 of 36
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I will forward this to our engineering team.

By the way, what's the Genie version?

@mzinkan Kindly register your product and PM me your Customer ID.

Message 8 of 36
IrvSp
Master

We both reported it on Genie 2.4.26 version for Windows (I had a typo, 2.4.6 but it should be 2.4.26 as well).

Message 9 of 36
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks @IrvSp

Message 10 of 36
reedaf4
Aspirant

I have recently discovered this same issue on my Puget Systems Serenity computer with Netgear Genie v2.4.26. After no solutions to the CD Drive read problems I had were found by the PC manufacturer, I was advised to do a complete restore of my hard drive, reinstalling Win 7 Pro, drivers, and all peripherals and software. After all this, both my CD/DVD drives were again working perfectly, reading all discs. But, the last program I installed, Netgear Genie, immediately caused both drives to stop reading data, with the same symptoms described in these replies. Uninstalling Genie restored full disc operation. I reported this problem to Netgear Tech Support two days ago, but the rep indicated they had not heard of this problem before. She took my information on this problem, said they would look into it. We really need a solution to this issue from Netgear. soon.
Message 11 of 36
mzinkan
Aspirant

Hi Elaine,

Product was registered back in 2014.  I've sent you my Customer ID.  Let me know if you should need any additional info.

Thanks!

Mike

Message 12 of 36
reedaf4
Aspirant

As an addition to my earlier post, I'm using the new Netgear Nighthawk X8 on my computer system. Have absolutely no idea why Netgear Genie would affect the cd/dvd drive's ability to read data discs on my desktop, but I'm now convinced this is a problem that at least three other people have reported online about. We really need a solution from Netgear on this.
Message 13 of 36
IrvSp
Master

@ElaineM, just got off the phone with L2 support. I can NO LONGER reproduce the problem. Works fine? Tried a few different DVD's, all worked fine?

Don't know what the problem was but it appears to be cleared now?

Message 14 of 36
reedaf4
Aspirant

Just went back and re-installed Netgear Genie v2.4.26 to see if condition was fixed here.  It is not fixed for me.  Immediately after re-installing Genie, my DVD drives once again failed to read any data.  Once I uninstalled Genie, my DVD Drive was immediately reading data on the disc properly. Still hopeful for a solution.

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 15 of 36
IrvSp
Master

@reedaf4, I suggest you call them then, @ 866.246.5732 and provide case number 27177813. They'll need you to have TeamViewer (https://www.teamviewer.com/en/) on your PC so they can connect.

In my case Genie was already installed on my PC so I just started it. Checked before starting that I could read a DVD which I could, started Genie, and it still worked...

They are trying to connect to people with the problem. Elaine I guess opened it up on my name, but I'm sure if you call and say you have the same reproducible problem they'd be glad to connect and troubleshoot.

TeamViewer is safe, you can disconnect if you think the tech is doing something you don't like. I use it often to help friends.

Message 16 of 36
reedaf4
Aspirant

I'll followup on this soon. Problem for me is I can't seem to read any disc's data in my drives once Genie is installed. Even when the Genie program isn't actively open, some feature is running in the background I'm sure, and I can't read the data. All I see is the disc is in the drive (Windows Explorer) and a single line entry in the left pane that shows something like files waiting to be written and ("desktop.ini") listed below it. All goes away when Genie is uninstalled, then the Windows autoplay window reappears, and the data files on the disc reappear. Very frustrating.
Message 17 of 36
VE6CGX
Master

Just learn to live without Genie. Real man does not use stuff like that. He can do everything with his own hands, LOL!

I never use Genie from day 1 when I picked up NG product. Now I just pretend there is no Genie out there. No wasting time

with frustration, peace of mind. IMO. Genie will never be a perfect product because new stuffs keep coming out.

People using other brand routers chugg along OK without omething like Genie. Oh, I just noticed Synology came out

with router manager V1.  for their router.

Message 18 of 36
IrvSp
Master

Sure you don't need it, you can do about the same things with a browser. Still, if it is broke, it should be fixed. Some people may want to use it, so it should work, period.

I never use it myself, but I did test to see if the problem was real, and I had the problem. Don't now, but have no clue why?

Message 19 of 36
VE6CGX
Master

Yesrs ago when Genie was first introduced it was advertised a lot. Sounding like it'd do pretty well all for you. Over the years more devices came out, it's been changind for the better but as far as I can see it holds the user from gaining real networking knowledge. Look at the topics come on the forum. How many times Genie confuses and causes frustration for specially new users. I often ask if the poster is using Genie as a first question. Non NG brand users get along without anything like Genie. Genie also eats some memory space and cpu time when it is running in the back ground. In the days of DOS we all had to type this and that. Maybe then people were smarter? I often wonder.

Message 20 of 36
mzinkan
Aspirant

Hi Folks,

I am working with a Netgear technician on the problem

Regards,

Mike

Message 21 of 36
mzinkan
Aspirant

Hi Again Folks,

NETGEAR set up a TeamViewer session with me last Friday, to access my computer, but then they changed it to this morning, which was okay with me. This morning I waited for over an hour after the appointed time, but they never contacted me.

I'm at a loss.

I'll post a follow up, if I ever hear from them.

Mike

Message 22 of 36
mzinkan
Aspirant

Hi Folks,

Okay, a Netgear engineer accessed my PC sometime last night. I'll let you know what the results were, once I hear from them.

Mike

Message 23 of 36
mzinkan
Aspirant

Hi Again Folks,

Well, twice again this week we were supposed to have another follow-up TeamViewer session, but neither happened.

I'm getting frustrated with dealing with a Level 2 technician in California (not his fault), who must then deal with their engineering team in Taiwan. The hours of operation in Taiwan vs. here in the U.S. are a big problem, it seems, even though I leave my PC open to them all night.

I'll post more if/when some results are found.

Mike

Message 24 of 36
mzinkan
Aspirant

Hi Again Folks,

I last heard from a second Level 2 technician on September 05, who said that they had not received any feedback from the engineers yet, but would let me know as soon as they have an update.

I'll post any future response.

Mike

Message 25 of 36
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 35 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7