Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 Wireless Issues w/ Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Works Fine w/ other Devices

donEddie7
Aspirant

R7000 Wireless Issues w/ Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Works Fine w/ other Devices

Hello,

I've recently begun to have issues connecting my Surface Pro 4 tablet to my home Wifi even though other devices have no trouble connecting via Wifi or Hardwired. My firmware version on my router is V1.0.9.6_1.2.19. Wireless Settings below.

The problem: My Surface is able to connect to either the 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz Wifi bands. When opening a browser (any browser), pages begin to load then never complete. My Surface never shows that it is disconnected, but sometimes will show limited connectivity. Sometimes, the page finishes loading, other times it will half load or not load at all. Sometimes, it only appears that the internet is moving VERY slowly whereas others, it's clear the connection is dead. The behavior is the same with both bands. We have other devices at home that are hardwired or connected to either wireless band and have no issues at all. Devices connected to wireless are Apple iPhones and iPad, another Windows laptop, a Wireless printer, AV Receiver, TV. All of those devices are able to connect without issue. Nothing has changed with our setup at home. We use a Netgear Modem, and connection is great when connected directly to the modem, so I don't suspect issues with that. I've also got several hardwired devices, some of which are always on and never have connection loss.

Things I've tried to fix:

• Connecting directly to modem, any device works fine.
  • Hardwiring from router to Surface Pro 4 using an ethernet adapter, works just fine.
  • Brought an entirely different Surface Pro 4 home from work to test, same issues. Both are wunning Windows 10 Pro x64 Creator's Update. Both have been updated with all Windows Updates.
  • "Forgot" all networks, connected "fresh" to both bands, no change.
  • Uninstalled Wireless Adapter from Surface and restarted, no change.
  • Uninstalled Wireless Adapter and Forgot Drivers from Surface. Installed Drivers from Microsoft Provided Drivers. No Change.
  • Attempted to ping google.com or cnn.com while connected to the wireless, the pings seem to go through just fine. Occasionally, I will encounter one with a high response time, but others are consistent.
  • Replaced the Router entirely with another R7000, same issues.

Much of my testing leads me to believe that there is some incompatibility with the Wireless Drivers the Surface is using and the Netgear R7000 Router, but I haven't found anything definitive online. I've also had trouble finding threads with my specific problem. I wasn't really sure where to look so I figured I'd post in case anyone had any ideas. I work in IT and have been frustrated by these issues. Hopefully someone can help. Thanks!

Notes:

• Smart Connect is Disabled
  • Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence is checked on.
  • Channel is Auto for 2.4GHz
  • Mode is up to 600 Mbps on 2.4GHz
  • Channel is 153 for 5GHz
  • Mode is up to 1300 Mbps for 5GHz
  • Transmist Power Control is 100% for both bands.
  • Security is WPA2-PSK [AES] for both bands.
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: R7000 Wireless Issues w/ Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Works Fine w/ other Devices

Hi Keigotw,

A new firmware update is available. Please update the firmware to 1.0.9.32. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000059134/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-9-32

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 19

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Re: R7000 Wireless Issues w/ Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Works Fine w/ other Devices

Hi donEddie7,

Will the Surface Pro works on different wireless network?

Message 2 of 19
donEddie7
Aspirant

Yes, Both Surface devices tested appear to work fine on Wifi in my office at work. I also tried to work them off a hotspot and they worked then as well. That's why I originally thought to replace the Router. But since both Surfaces had issues with both routers, it points back to some sort of incompatibility between the two devices. My guesses is that it has much more to do with the drivers/settings for the Network Adapter on the Surface than it does with the Router, but I've found many threads blaming both sides. That's why I figured I'd see if anyone on the Netgear forums had any ideas first.

I wanted to note that I did not Backup my first Router and then restore the settings to the 2nd Router. Just in case we thought maybe it may be a corrupt backup or something. Settings were entered manually.

Message 3 of 19
TECHeSmurf
Aspirant

I have the same issue on my Pro3 and Pro 2017.

Message 4 of 19
donEddie7
Aspirant

Support offered to help me out but so far, all they've asked is if I'm using the updated firmware (I am). One "trick" I've found is that if you create a guest network on your router, your Surface will work on that. I've been using it just for the Surface so that I can at least use my Wifi. This is a real pain for such an expensive and (supposed to be) dependable router.

Message 5 of 19
TECHeSmurf
Aspirant

Hi donEddie7, I did find this on Windows Central website; http://windowscentral.com/surface-pro-4-slow-wi-fi-fix I made the change, but I'm waiting to see if it makes a difference. Scott
Message 6 of 19
donEddie7
Aspirant

I actually tried this solution once and had no improvement. Maybe you'll have better luck. I recently moved to a New Surface Pro (Surface Pro 5) and still have the issue. There's definitely an issue between that wireless adapter that microsoft uses and the Netgear Nighthawk Router.

Message 7 of 19
Keigotw
Tutor

I am having the same problem, even with the lastest firmware on R7000. Only Surface Pro 4 have issue with R7000, other computer, Ipad, iphone, Samung S8 all works

Even trying guest access on R7000, did not work well.

Surface pro 4 works fine with Netgear R8000.

I have now replaced R7000 with Linksys WRT1900AC and Surface Pro 4 is working fine.

Hope Netgear can figure out the problem with the R7000

Message 8 of 19
donEddie7
Aspirant

Yes, they've ruined it with their firmware updates. My Surface is still working only on the Guest Network, and now I'm having an issue where my phone is only getting ~ 25Mbps from the Wifi, while other devices are getting 200Mbps. It's as if they don't even test the firmware before sending it out.

Message 9 of 19
Rjp2003
Aspirant

Does anyone know if using router 7900 will resolve the internet connectivity issues with surface pro 4? Thanks
Message 10 of 19
Keigotw
Tutor

Surface Pro 4 seems to work fine now with R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.28

but there still a problem, when you make changes to settings / enable or disable something. After you click on apply and after it finish or reboot from R7000 menu. Internet and trying to access menu on R7000 is slow and terrible. 

The solution is to manual Turn off the R7000 and then back on. 

then it will be ok.

Message 11 of 19
JamesGL
Master

Hi Keigotw,

Please check this firmware.

https://kb.netgear.com/000057097/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-9-30-Hot-Fix

Message 12 of 19
Keigotw
Tutor

I didn't want to try beta firmware Version-1-0-9-30-Hot-Fix

but I went ahead and installed 6/12/18 - Firmware update 1.0.9.32 last night and seems to work fine.

no issue with Surface Pro 4.

will report back if I find any issues

Message 13 of 19
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Keigotw,

A new firmware update is available. Please update the firmware to 1.0.9.32. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000059134/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-9-32

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 14 of 19
Rjp2003
Aspirant

I installed the latest firmware on R6900, and my surface still has internet connectivity issues.
Message 15 of 19
Keigotw
Tutor

@Blanca_O

I already did, see post above yours

Message 16 of 19
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Keigotw, 

Is everything working fine using the latest firmware (1.0.9.32)? 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 17 of 19
Keigotw
Tutor

@Blanca_O wrote:

Hi Keigotw, 

Is everything working fine using the latest firmware (1.0.9.32)? 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

yes,

So far so good

will report back if any issues

Message 18 of 19
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Keigotw, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we’ve provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7