Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 -cant get to work with iptv

Snowmatt
Tutor

R7000 -cant get to work with iptv

Hi, I am having problems getting my r7000 working with plusnets iptv.. Recently signed up for it and they sent me their crappy router which supplies their iptv perfectly but i cannot figure out how to get the nighthawk to do this..

Running firmware 1.0.4.30. under the advanced settings there is an option for enabling VLAN/Bridge which I have had some success using - the iptv works for a bit but no internet traffic apart from iptv gets passed to the youview box - so cannot watch netflix etc. It also stops working after i change channels so it doesn't seem like the right fix anyway

Plusnet cant supply me with any details for the vlan tags, so not sure where to go from there.. whenever i enable that the internet just doesn't connect - tried vlans 10, 101, 301 and anything else i could think of..

I have read that on some firmwares there is an option to enable VLAN/IPTV, but i can only see 'Enable VLAN/Bridge' on mine.
Is this feature even supported on the R7000? or would running DD-WRT instead work?
Hope someone can help 🙂
Thanks

Message 1 of 31

Accepted Solutions
ASHD3
Tutor

Re: R7000 -cant get to work with iptv

@bill1228 wrote:
Cannot speak to DD-WRT and IPTV but the latest XVortex firmware supports IPTV and is reported to work. Of course there is the question of will this work with your supplier?
Link to that info:
http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/asuswrt-merlin-on-netgear-r7000.71108/page-11#post-2636...

Link to the firmware info:
http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/asuswrt-merlin-on-netgear-r7000.71108/

Runs very well on my r7000.
--bill

And we have a fix!!!! Flashed the CFW, quick reboot of the router and a bit of higgery jiggery - working YouView with IPTV enabled.

Here is a note in case others stumble accross this forums and fall into the same hurdle. These are the settings you need once you have flashed the CFW:

You must configure 'Enable VPN + DHCP Connection' to 'No' under the WAN option.

Settings used were:

- Have router on the latest firmware: 3.0.0.4.374.130

- Use the following settings in LAN > IPTV:

- 'Select ISP Profile' = None

- 'Choose IPTV STB Port' = None

- 'Use DHCP routes' = Microsoft

- 'Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy) = Enable

- 'Enable efficient multicast forwarding (IGMP Snooping) = Enable

- 'UDB Proxy (Udpxy) = 0

I hope this proves use for others in future and thanks for your assistance all.

Spoiler
Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 31

All Replies
bill1228
Guide

Cannot speak to DD-WRT and IPTV but the latest XVortex firmware supports IPTV and is reported to work. Of course there is the question of will this work with your supplier?
Link to that info:
http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/asuswrt-merlin-on-netgear-r7000.71108/page-11#post-2636...

http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/asuswrt-merlin-on-netgear-r7000.71108/

--bill
Message 2 of 31
Snowmatt
Tutor

Thanks for that. I will try that firmware. Apparently the stock firmware should be able to do it but have run out of options with it,
Thanks for replying 🙂
Message 3 of 31
ASHD3
Tutor

Hey SnowMatt,

Just a quick enquiry, did you manage to get this issue sorted with the R7000 Router? I am in the exact same dilemma and Netgear appear to do there utmost best to avoid you at all costs - if it's beyond that 90 days (without linking you to the American Directory to pay a bomb). Just wondering how your luck panned out?

Thanks,

A

Message 4 of 31
TheEther
Guru

Most IPTV providers use IP Multicast but most firmware for consumer routers have little to no support for IP Multicast.  The R7000, however, has an option to enable IGMP Proxy under Advanced > Setup > WAN.  Uncheck the Disable IGMP Proxying box to enable it.  See if this fixes your IPTV problems.

If it doesn't work, then you will need connect your TV settop boxes directly to the ISP's router.  You can either use your R7000 as a router behind the ISP router, or use it as an AP.  There are pro and cons for each setup.  You can look at the FAQs on http://dslreports.com for various setup configurations.  The FAQ for Verizon FIOS is very detailed.  Not all of the options listed may necessarily apply to Plusnet.

Message 5 of 31
ASHD3
Tutor

Thanks for your contributions.

I have been through that process as you mention Ether originally, following all the guides available and from the Netgear website (as the OP mentioned) looking at VLAN tags here. These sadly did not produce any result and also leaded in struggling to find the VLAN tags for the ISP.

I want to avoid having multiple pieces of equipment plugged in more specifically so with the router not being VDSL enabled. After looking at Bill's post from earlier on, I will give it ago flashing this CF and see how the results entail. I just wanted to know if Snowmatt had any luck doing so with being on the same VISP. However I can see Bill added a note to say this is running smoothly on his device.  

Again, highly appreciated for the help.

Message 6 of 31
ASHD3
Tutor

@bill1228 wrote:
Link to that info:

--bill

And we have a fix!!!! Flashed the CFW, quick reboot of the router and a bit of higgery jiggery - working YouView with IPTV enabled.

Here is a note in case others stumble accross this forums and fall into the same hurdle. These are the settings you need once you have flashed the CFW:

You must configure 'Enable VPN + DHCP Connection' to 'No' under the WAN option.

Settings used were:

- Have router on the latest firmware: 3.0.0.4.374.130

- Use the following settings in LAN > IPTV:

- 'Select ISP Profile' = None

- 'Choose IPTV STB Port' = None

- 'Use DHCP routes' = Microsoft

- 'Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy) = Enable

- 'Enable efficient multicast forwarding (IGMP Snooping) = Enable

- 'UDB Proxy (Udpxy) = 0

I hope this proves use for others in future and thanks for your assistance all.

Spoiler
Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 31
TheEther
Guru

@ASHD3 wrote:

Thanks for your contributions.

I have been through that process as you mention Ether originally, following all the guides available and from the Netgear website (as the OP mentioned) looking at VLAN tags here. These sadly did not produce any result and also leaded in struggling to find the VLAN tags for the ISP.

Can you confirm that you tried enabling IGMP Proxy on stock firmware, and it didn't work?

Message 8 of 31
ASHD3
Tutor

Hey Ether,

Yes that's correct.

Regards,

Message 9 of 31
TheEther
Guru

Good to know.  I upvoted your solution.

I cut the cord a while ago, but while I still had IPTV, I kept the STBs directly connected to my ISP's residential gateway and all my other devices connected to my router.  Beyond not having a router that supported IGMP, I wanted to keep the STBs segregated.  The paranoid in me just didn't trust those boxes.  It's not easy to tell if they are snooping around on your network without running a traffic sniffer (cue the horror stories about nosy smart TVs).

Message 10 of 31
Snowmatt
Tutor

Hi, no I didnt get anywhere with this. I am still trying however so will post back here if i do figure it out. I did try enabling the IGMP proxy, but that didnt change anything. Apparently using the VLAN options will work, but whenever I enable this, the router wont sync to the internet.

I was loathe to install another firmware but i may do this if it works.

Message 11 of 31
Snowmatt
Tutor

I will try the XVortex with the settings suggested, thanks!!

Message 12 of 31
pcfarrar
Tutor

Will Netgear ever add IPTV (multicast) support to the R7000? Most competing routers on the market have this functionality. It's reached the point that I'm just going to have to buy an Asus RT-AC68U as I need this feature for BT TV in the UK.

Message 13 of 31
Snowmatt
Tutor

Hi Pcfarrar.. I managed to get the R7000 working by installthe the xvortex firmware which now works a treat. Quite a painless upgrade. The firmware is based on the Asus firmware, so i guess the Asus would work as well.

Message 14 of 31
pcfarrar
Tutor

xvortex firmware looks ok but I notice its not completely stable...

It should be very straightfoward for Netgear to add support to the existing R7000 firmware.

Message 15 of 31
Snowmatt
Tutor

I have found it stable tbh, although only been using it a week. I think it would be straightforward and i can't understand why it doesnt do it already. There is a beta firmware for the D7000 which turns this feature on, so I guess that the R7000 will follow, but Netgear support appear to have no idea about anything.

I am not sure i will go back to netgear firmware even when this is released

Message 16 of 31
netwrks
Master

@pcfarrar Do not attempt to load basic ASUS firmware on your R7000. The Xvortex firmware for the R7000 is a special build.

Message 17 of 31
pcfarrar
Tutor

I'm well aware of that fact, I've been running DD-WRT on my R7000 occasionally. My main issue is that Xvortex firmware isn't 100% stable and given the relatively low cost of routers it's easier just to buy an Asus RT-AC68U than mess around flashing my R7000.

Message 18 of 31
Snowmatt
Tutor

It would be good if Netgear made this feature available on the R7000. Am sure many customers would want this - a lot of major ISPs are now offering IPTV using multicast so its a bit surprising that it is not working on these routers

Message 19 of 31
netwrks
Master

EDIT:  So sorry @pcfarrar  My comment was intended for  @snowmatt  That was the objective anyway.. I run it on two r7000's. But you're right, whatever works for you. Asus. Netegear. Your call..  That was the objective anyway.. I run it on two r7000's. But you're right, whatever works for you. Asus. Netegear. Your call..

Message 20 of 31
TheEther
Guru

@Snowmatt wrote:

It would be good if Netgear made this feature available on the R7000. Am sure many customers would want this - a lot of major ISPs are now offering IPTV using multicast so its a bit surprising that it is not working on these routers

Snowmatt, I know you got things working with Xvortex.  I do wonder if the VLAN bridging feature on stock firmware would have worked, too?  Specifically, enable the Bridge Group option under Advanced > Advanced Setup > VLAN/Bridge Settings, then check the port that is connected to the IPTV box.  This should provide the IPTV box direct access to the ISP router without NAT translation by the R7000.

Anyway, if you ever go back to stock, maybe you could try it.

Message 21 of 31
Snowmatt
Tutor

Well, i thought it would work either that way or using vlans. Using the bridge setup did partially work, and enabled iptv to be broadcast (although intermittant), the youview box could not access the internet, just the IPTV part. So things like netflix, iplayer etc did not work. 

Message 22 of 31
TheEther
Guru

@Snowmatt wrote:

Well, i thought it would work either that way or using vlans. Using the bridge setup did partially work, and enabled iptv to be broadcast (although intermittant), the youview box could not access the internet, just the IPTV part. So things like netflix, iplayer etc did not work. 

If IPTV worked, then the box was able to obtain an IP address, so Internet should have worked, too.  Strange that it did not.  Oh well.  Thanks for trying.

Message 23 of 31
GusTTavo
Aspirant

Hi there!

I am trying to follow up with the threads and would like to say that I am also looking forward to have the IPTV feature in the R7000. Like some you mentioned I am also getting the IPTV from my internet provider but can´t use my R7000 anymore. It is a nice router and I would hate to have to buy another expensive one. Netgear should please its customers to keep them loyal.... in my opinion!

Message 24 of 31
Snowmatt
Tutor

I have heard that netgear will be addressing this in an upcoming firmware for their routers. I dont know if this is true but i read that someone form netgear confirmed it..

Message 25 of 31
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7