R7500 in AP mode and USB Printer

KenV9999
Guide

R7500 in AP mode and USB Printer

Hi,

I recently upgraded my home network on FIOS. Rather than creating a double bridge, I decided to leave the FIOS router as the primary router/DHCP server, but turned the WiFi radios off and am using the R7500 in AP mode to provide WiFi connectivity (WiFi on the FIOS Quantum Gateway is horrible - 5Ghz band unusable at > 10 feet).

Now that the R7500 is no longer the primary router, it seems that the USB printer that I had connected can no longer be shared. On Windows 10, the Netgear USB Control Center application doesn't see the printer (don't get me started about the USB Control Center on El Capitan).

Is this to be expected in AP mode? Is there any way to work around this if that is the case?

Message 1 of 7
JamesGL
Master

Re: R7500 in AP mode and USB Printer

Hi @KenV9999,

Welcome to Community!

This will be fixed on future firmware released however there is no ETA.

Regards,

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 2 of 7
mondenath
Prodigy

Why you are not doing bridge instead AP. Does it increase any signal range. I doubt converting to AP will lead some features will not work.

Message 3 of 7
KenV9999
Guide

There have been a lot of posts on DSLReports with people with problems using the double bridge with the Quantum Gateway - that it works for a while but then requires a reboot every few days.

The main reasons to use it in my mind are 1)if you have a complicated NAT scheme which isn't supported, 2) if you need QOS or 3) the NAT table on the Gateway is too small. I really don't meet any of these, so to avoid the hassle of rebooting every few days, I switched to AP mode. In addition, I would need to relocate the Nighthawk into the closet where my ONT and QG are because the QG requires an ethernet connection to the ONT and there is no Cat 5e from there to the current position of the Nighthawk (the previous Actiontec used coax from the ONT to the router).

It does not increase range.

And as my OP states, switching to AP mode led to the USB printer feature not working.

Message 4 of 7
JamesGL
Master

Hi Kevin,

Please check your inbox as I have sent you a message.

Regards,

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 5 of 7
jpearn
Star

I am also having this problem, is there any update to this ?

Message 6 of 7
jpearn
Star

Hi James, any updates to this ? Thanks.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements