Re: R7900 Port Forwarding Disappears

dabungis
Aspirant

R7900 Port Forwarding Disappears

I made sure firmware was latest and greatest right out of the box, configured the basic settings, then added a 443 port forwarding rule, successfully tested from the internet and it works. I made a backup once I was done with all my configs. A day later I noticed port forwarding to my 443 service stopped. I checked Advanced - Port Forwarding and the list is empty. What happened to my 443 entry? I tried to add it back but now the router says there is a port conflict, but yet the list is empty.

Firmware = V1.2.1.6_1.1.86
R7900P from Costco
UPNP is still enabled

I tried rebooting, no luck. I tried disabling UPNP, no luck. In both situations the port forwarding list is still empty and it will NOT allow me to create the same 443 service saying there is a port conflict. I have reads tons of other Netgear forums all with the same issue on various firmware versions and hardware models. Frustrating.

I opened a support ticket with Netgear

Ticket# 29300427
Date 11/19/17

My current workaround since I only need access to this one server is to enable the DMZ option in Setup - WAN. However this leaves all ports exposed to my server. Bad idea so I disabled DMZ.

I see other users have tried 30/30/30 factory reset, other firmware versions, all with the same issue. It fixes the ability to adds entries in port forwarding but then all users reported that the list would disappear again.

In my ticket, I told support that I’m unwilling to factory reset or try new code unless they can show me the exact bug ID and whether or not it’s fixed. Based on reading forums dating back multiple years, it appears there is no fix. I would prefer not to have to reconfigure my router again. Lots of devices and setup that I would like to avoid unless for sure Netgear has the actual firmware fix.

And unfortunately this R7900P doesn’t run DDWRT which I usually run on all my stuff. Took a chance on this router. It is definitely much faster than my previous but lacks DDWRT and hence I’m stuck running Netgear’s faulty code (e.g. port forwarding disappears).

Will probably return to Costco if Netgear can’t fix this ongoing multiple year issue.
Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 1 of 8
dabungis
Aspirant

I just did a factory reset, then instantly a firware upgrade (even though it's the same firwmare version). After reboot, I created a new backup called "base". I then tried to restore a known good backup that had all my configs (prior to the factory reset) but it too must have been junk. It didn't have any port forwarding rules and it wouldn't let me create any due to "port conflict". I decided to restore to the newly created "base" backup to start again. This time, I disabled UPNP, made a new backup, changed Setup > LAN, made a new backup, added a few port forwarding rules, verified they existed in the list, verified they worked from the internet, then made a backup. I kept making changes like enabling wifi, then making a backup, then modifying a few other things and each time making a backup. Also each time, I went to the port forwarding screen to verify the rules still existed...they still did. Good. I even rebooted a couple times, and port forwarding still worked and the rules still existed. At this point, I continued to setup the remaining stuff in my house to connect to my router. I then made a final backup and currently the port forwarding rules still exist in the list.

I updated my ticket with some lengthy info. Of course, support basically wrote all the same rebuttal items like "did you try factory reset", "please supply screenshot of error", and so on. I feel like I'm talking to a robot. I explained my issue in lots of details, referenced the fact that tons of other people have been posting the same "port forwarding disappears" issue for years on various code and various netgear models, but yet it seems like support is just as lost. I requested that the case stay open because I fear in a day or so that my 2 port forwarding rules will magically disappear. We'll see. 

In the end, I did...

1. factory reset

2. Firware re-upgrade to same latest firware

3. made "base" backup file
4. disabled UPNP

5. updated my Setup > LAN settings

6. added a few port forwarding rules

7. continued to configure the rest of the stuff like wifi, guest network, etc

8. rebooted a couple times

9. kept going back and forth to port forwarding screen to make sure rules still exist

10. Verify rules worked by access my server from internet

11. made final backup

At this point, I'm just waiting for the netgear to magically make the port forwarding disappear. If it does, I know I have plenty of good backups that I took before the issue occurred and I'm hoping I'll be able to easily rollback to a known good backup. If support writes me anything useful, I'll update this post.

Message 2 of 8
dabungis
Aspirant

Bad news! My port forwarding settings disappeared and I have no idea why. I luckily had a known good backup file, so I did a restore and was able to get my rules back. Prior to restore though, the port forwarding rules were gone...disappeared just like every other user's complaint. I tried to add the same rules back but I received port conflict. I updated my netgear ticket, it's been escalated to level #2, but now they are putting me through a new set of questions...or really the same set. Annoying and terrible support.

"Did you down grade firmware?"

"Please take a screenshot of the port forwarding screen when the rules are there"

"Please take a screenshot of the port forwarding screen when the rules are missing"

Dumb! I already bought a new Asus RT-88u router. I'll be installing that one this week and sending my Netgear back to the store. I'm not going through troubleshooting for tech support when they can easily have someone in support grab a box, lab it up in their lab, and reproduce the issue easily.

Message 3 of 8
EK
Tutor
Tutor

Same issue on my r7000. Port forwarding via UPnP works as long as the router doesn’t reboot. If it does I need to send the rules again from the NAS. All firmware versions since purchase so pick any ver. Numbers you like.
Manual port forwarding has never worked right so I simply gave up. Warns of conflict even with UPnP off.
Omg yes.. I did factory resets and manual entry of settings etc.

Question. do UPnP entries typically disappear with simple router reboot? Maybe this is expected behaviour?
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 8
antinode
Guru

> Same issue on my r7000.  Port forwarding via UPnP works as long as the
> router doesn't reboot.  [...]

Different model, different firmware, different UPnP setting.  Good
candidate for a new thread, I'd say.

> Question. do UPnP entries typically disappear with simple router
> reboot? Maybe this is expected behaviour?

I know nothing, but that's what I'd expect.  I would not expect a
router to save such data as it went down (for some indeterminate length
of time, during which everything on the LAN could change), and then
restore them at the next system start.  That sounds to me like a recipe
for catastrophe.

In contrast, port-forwarding rules are (or certainly should be)
persistent.  That's certainly been my experience with R7000 and D7000
routers (among others, all with UPnP disabled).

> [...] Manual port forwarding has never worked right so I simply gave
> up. Warns of conflict even with UPnP off.

With my weak psychic powers, I can't guess what you did, or what
happened when you did it.

Message 5 of 8
EK
Tutor
Tutor

Sorry. That manual port forwarding was a while back. I was trying to focus on my question about expected/usual persistence of UPnP entries in general. I wasn’t looking to make someone go down a rabbit hole about manual port forwarding entries. Seemed on topic here but different model.(In same netgear defined breadcrumb trail of nighthawk routers that led me here). You identified some good points. Thank you.
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 8
antinode
Guru

> [...] I wasn't looking to make someone go down a rabbit hole about
> manual port forwarding entries. [...]

Understood.  But, if you're looking for rabbits, then a rabbit hole
may be a good place to go.  I'll wait for that port-forwarding thread to
appear.

Message 7 of 8
keverm
Star

Same problem, I am amazed by how many threads are in this community about port forwarding settings malfunctioning without any reliable response about a fix. There are threads maked solved that have no solution whatsoever. I'm sorry you had this problem, but for you and others reading, it appears Netgear has no intention of addressing it. Or in your case even acknowleding it as a bug. haha. Isn't it great when support does everything they can to blame the customer instead of just fixing their bug? I wish I read these threads before my return period ran out at staples.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E