Highlighted
Tutor

Re: R7900P dropping internet requiring reset every few days

Same here, Only had this router for a few weeks and it is great but I have to reset it every other day and it kicks all my programs ofline that need to be on 24/7 for work. I hope they fix this soon or back to Costco. I'm using V1.3.0.8_1.2.1

Message 26 of 286
Highlighted
Virtuoso

I know Netgear has lots of problems of their routers recently since December last year , mostly involving internet connection instability, and that defeat the purpose of routers.
Just for the time being, my guess is that newer firmware causing the problems.
For R7900P, I wonder if you can downgrade to, say, FW 1.1.4.6 or even 1.1.4.4 to see if the router stays stable?
Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 27 of 286
Highlighted
Tutor

Other people in this thread and other threads with the same problem said they upgraded to the newest firmware becuase of the same problem. I don't know if it will help but seems like the only choice at this point.

Message 28 of 286
Highlighted
Virtuoso

I really mean any firmware released prior to November 2017.
Message 29 of 286
Highlighted

Please suggest the older fw# and from where we can download. I can give a try?

Message 30 of 286
Highlighted
Tutor

Howdy

As far as other routers, after much research (and I'm not an expert) the one that keeps coming up is the Asus RT-AC3200. Apparently the RT-AC3100 is the same thing with 4 LAN ports instead of 8. So I went with the 3100. We'll see how it goes. The Netgear is going back to Costco. 

Message 31 of 286
Highlighted
Tutor

Two more restarts in the last 3 days. Have decided to abandon the Netgear and am trying the ASUS RT-AC3100 which has gotten great reviews in a multitude of forums.

Good luck to those of you sticking with Netgear.

Message 32 of 286
Highlighted
Virtuoso

For R7900P, I wonder if you can downgrade to, say, FW 1.1.4.6 or even 1.1.4.4. These can be downloaded to your PC from the NETGEAR support site.
On side note, ASUS routers are also my favorite, particularly the high-end AC routers. I have been using ASUS RT-AC 88U router at my other house, for quite a long while, and it is superb also in its performance and stability. But I also with NETGEAR in its solid stability in the past.
Just recently, problems came on and I know they are working quite diligently to get those solved. How long will it take? Who knows...
Message 33 of 286
Highlighted
Guide

Reading all posts, the suggestion to go back to a firmware version before November 2017 could be a solution. I have not tried it as I have returned my R7000P router to the store today and exchanged it for a R7000, which I have been using for years at another location for years. Both R7000 routers are running smoothly. Spec wise there is not much difference between the R7000 and the R7000P (prisewise the R7000 is cheaper), so for me this is now a working solution (after a month of trouble with the R7000P......)

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 34 of 286
Highlighted
Apprentice

@jblankev What a joke. Did you see:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Feedback-for-R7000-New-firmware-1-0-9-18/m-p...
I wish you luck with your R7000.
I bought a new Linksys WRT1900ACS.
I wasn't able to make my R7000 stable again. Not even with an old firmware. And I am not the only one.
Message 35 of 286
Highlighted

@jblankev wrote:

.....I have returned my R7000P router to the store today and exchanged it for a R7000

You have been warned:

Re: R7000 keeps losing 2.4GHz wireless connectivi... - Page 12 - NETGEAR Communities

If anything, based on what I have read here the R7000P has had fewer reports of these problems.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 36 of 286
Highlighted
Guide

Thanks for the warnings and the R7000 thread. I agree that there are less posts on the R7000P, I had not looked at the R7000 thread for a while. It is just that I had a R7000 running smoothly for years and which I upgraded to latest FW and that one is still working fine (even though I now read in the R7000 thread that other people have issues). Because this old R7000 was running smoothly, I bought the R7000P end of November 2017. After having all the trouble with this new R7000P and reading only the posts on that one, I decided to return it and change it to a R7000, which I trusted, based on the old one. I installed this new R7000 and the only thing I noticed, that was different after installing (by the way, I had to reboot my modem once to get the internet setting OK, my modem is running in bridge mode) is: the MAC address of the Internet Port is one higher than the MAC address of the LAN port. This is also the case for my old R7000. I remember that for the R7000P thsi was not the case: the MAC address for the Internet Port was the same as for the LAN Port. Maybe that was the issue with the R7000P? I am not an expert, so I can not tell.

I will see what happens over the next few days. I have a 30 day free return policy from the store, so I can still bring it back...

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 37 of 286
Highlighted
Apprentice

@jblankev Be smart, return it.
Message 38 of 286
Highlighted

@jblankev wrote:

It is just that I had a R7000 running smoothly for years and which I upgraded to latest FW and that one is still working fine (even though I now read in the R7000 thread that other people have issues).

This is one of those bugs that does not hit everyone. Nor is it consistent in what it does and how you handle it.

This makes me suspect that some of the complaints are down to causes beyond the firmware. But we may never know that.

My guess is that most people have no problems – or there would be even more messages here.

On the R7000P, as far as I can tell the only difference between that the the R7000 is in the chipset, Intel rather than Broadcom. Then again, Netgear rarely says much about its technology and what has changed.

Good luck. Let's hope you don't need it.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 39 of 286
Highlighted
Guide

An update from my side (probably the last one in this thread). As described earlier, I swapped my R7000P (bought end of Nov 2017) for a R7000, as I was using an older R7000 (bought March 2016) without any issues. Both routers are upgraded to the same latest FW version 1.0.9.18_1.2.27. and both routers have the same settings (the only difference is a different ISP). My old router is still running smoothly, the new one from Nov 2017 has the same issues as reported in this thread for the R7000P. It does not have the specific 2.4Gz dropping issue as reported in the R7000 thread. So for me the conclusion is that the issues are hardware related, not (only) FW. I am wondering if there are others that also have older R7000 routers with latest FW running OK.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router,R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 40 of 286

@jblankev wrote:

I am wondering if there are others that also have older R7000 routers with latest FW running OK.

The long running discussion of the R7000 (v1) I linked to before has seen some interesting recent developments on that front.

This isn't the place to go into the details, so I leave it to you to check it out.

Just another user.

Message 41 of 286
Highlighted
Star

Just curious are you all running QOS? I do not have a problem with dropping the internet but I do have the speed drop dramatically every few days unless I reboot it. I should be getting 275 Mbps download and if I don't do a reboot every few days it will drop to as much as 20 Mbps. I was running QOS and I just disabled it to see what happens.

Message 42 of 286
Highlighted
Guide

Same issue, took firmware update (V1.3.0.8_1.2.1) on Sunday (1/21/2018), and have had to reboot my R7900P twice, once Tuesday (1/23/2018) and again this afternoon (1/25/2018).
From the Router Console, all shows green, but clearly it isn't. (All devices lose all internet traffic)

For someone who works from home full time, this is extremely frustrating - especially since it's started happening so frequently. 

I'll note though, since getting this router less than a year ago, this is the only issue I've had with it. 

Wish NetGear did more testing on their firmware - or did a phased rollout to get feedback from those consumers who actually use their products. 

Message 43 of 286
Highlighted

Have you tried rolling back to the earlier firmware?

If this is a genuine firmware issue, and not Chromecast disease, that will bring you back to where you were before the update.

If you roll back and the problem persists, then Google is your enemy. It put out an update in December that has caused ructions all over the place, including Asus and TP-Link.

Netgear has fixes in the works for Chromecast disease for the R7000 and D7000. The R7000P may be too new for it to have enough victims to know about it.

Just another user.

Message 44 of 286
Highlighted
Guide

I will try rolling back and see. 

I'm missing the connection between this 'Chromecast Disease' you mentioned and it impacting my R7900P router providing passthrough internet connectivity to my cable modem across my plethora of devices (iPhones/iPads, AppleTVs (3rd gen & 4K), Vizio SmartTV (using YahooOS), Apple MacBook, HP PC Running Win10, Asus Running Win8, HoneyWell Smart Thermostats, etc)

If I'm missing something on how 'Chromcast Disease' could be impacting my R7900P 2 days after updating it's Firmware which was done nearly a month after 'Chromecast Disease' was introduced and I hadn't had an issue until the Firmware... please fill me. 

Message 45 of 286
Highlighted
Initiate

My provider is Nextlight and they use a high speed fiber.  Any chance that has something to do with this?  I'm taking mine back to Costco.  Netgear was going to ship me a new one but I had to pay the shipping and be without internet waiting for the return.  If Netgear would get this fixed I'd buy another one.

Message 46 of 286
Highlighted

@HotWhls55 wrote:

If I'm missing something on how 'Chromcast Disease' could be impacting my R7900P 2 days after updating it's Firmware which was done nearly a month after 'Chromecast Disease' was introduced and I hadn't had an issue until the Firmware... please fill me. 

Like I said, if you can roll back and restore sanity, this probably has nothing to do with Chromecast.

Remember, when troubleshooting firmware, reset your device after you flash. Did you do that when you upgraded to the latest version?

Just another user.

Message 47 of 286
Highlighted
Aspirant

New to this thread and here because of same issue. Mine drops connection essentially every 24 hours around 8-9am.
Message 48 of 286
Highlighted
Guide

Remember, when troubleshooting firmware, reset your device after you flash. Did you do that when you upgraded to the latest version?

Reset your device? Are you referring to the router receiving the new firmware, or each device which connect to the router?

By reset, are you referring to restart/reboot - or some bigger reset functionality?

After applying/installing the latest firmware, I followed the NetGear prompts to restart my router - aside from that, nothing during the installation of the latest firmware. 

For two occurrence of restarting the router, I've used the GUI from the Admin Console. (If rolling back the firmware doesn't resolve, my next restart will be a ground up power cord restart of my entire network)

I haven't rolled back the firmware yet (wife is working from home today too, and do not want to interrupt her work day), however, that's the route I'll be taking next. 

Message 49 of 286
Highlighted

wrote:

Reset your device? Are you referring to the router receiving the new firmware, or each device which connect to the router?

By reset, are you referring to restart/reboot - or some bigger reset functionality?

Sorry. I should have been clearer.

The reset I have in mind is a factory reset, using the "button" on the back.

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems – it is a bit like the old support advice to turn the thing on and off or throwing spilt salt over your shoulder – a factory reset is something to try if you have issues with new firmware.

In theory you shouldn't need to do it, but when you have tried everything else and issues persist it is nuts not to try it.

There is a manual for the R7000P somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> R7000P | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

See pages 12 and 153.

It is a bit of a bugger because it wipes out any carefully created settings. You can always backup your settings before you flash, and if your problems persist you can restore the backup because the reset clearly hasn't helped. You could restore the backup anyway, but that runs the risk of writing the bug back into the settings.

It still isn't clear to me if the R7000P suffers from Chromecast disease or if firmware is the problem, or a bit of both. If it is just firmware, the rolling back to earlier firmware is worth trying. I have an R7000P that keeps on running, but it has beta firmware so I can't check the current production release.

Just another user.

Message 50 of 286
Top Contributors
Announcements