Re: R7900P dropping internet requiring reset every few days

@Mlaraujo wrote:

I can not understand Netgear not participating on this forum??? help...Customer service??

Netgear's small team makes regular appearances here, but you have joined in on a conversation that started a long time ago, back in December. Maybe they are busy dealing with new issues.

In any case, this is a mostly user-to-user forum. If you have a new device, you can use the official channels for support in the first 90 days.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 101 of 286
Greg0130
Apprentice

Alas, even the 1.1.4.6_1.1.85 isn't totally stable.  After a week my wife noticed connectivity was not very good so she power cycled and it came back immediately.  I am installing my new Synology AC2600 ($195 and free shipping from Amazon) this afternoon and will keep everyone posted.

I too wonder why we don't hear anything officially from Netgear.  I think they are totally baffled and don't want to admit it.  Or they just don't have the correct level of software engineers to troubleshoot these issues.

Message 102 of 286
G-Eazy
Aspirant

Just wanted to add my experience here.  I bought a 7900P from Costco less than 2 years ago.  I stayed up to date with the firmware and it worked for a good while but when I switched ISPs to Spectrum, I noticed that the performance on the router was getting worse and I was not receiving the speeds I was paying through Spectrum.  Then one of the LAN ports on the router would only connect at 10MBps. I rebooted the router during troubleshooting and got the solid amber light on the power which means the router was practically dead.  Since Costco is so awesome, I was able to exchange for a new 7900P.  Within 2 days of hooking it up, I noticed the performance stability issues you all are mentioning.  Before you know it, i was rebooting every 2 days or so and then googling the issue and came across this thread.  And then I got the amber light of  death again and couldn't boot up the router anymore.  Frustrated, I returned the 7900P 2 weeks later and settled with an Asus AC3100 from Best Buy which has been working very well since 3/22/18.  

I really wanted to like the 7900P but as consumers, we obviously shouldn't have to settle with these issues out the box.  I really wanted to try an X10 but read that some users were still having the reboot/performance issues.  I don't know what the issue is but I think it's important that everyone posting at least provide your current ISP and what model modem you are using.  As I mentioned, I am currently with Spectrum and I am using their modem which is an Arris TM1602.  I noticed my internet speeds would gradually get slower until 2 days later I was getting less then 1Mbps up/down and had to reboot.  Like I said, I don't know what Netgear's issue is but I have a feeling it has to do with either the ISP or compatibility with the modem talking to the router.  Before I had Spectrum, I had a different local ISP that was Fiber-to-the-home (so I didn't need a modem) and I was running on the 7900P for almost 2 years without issue.  

And lastly, obviously not everyone with the 7900P is having the issue, but I think there's a lot of users like us out there with these problems, so much so that Netgear should at least address or acknowledge the problem.  Either way, after this experience I might as well just stick with the Asus router.  I will continue to follow this issue though until there is a definitive resolution.

Message 103 of 286
Greg0130
Apprentice

Just for completeness my ISP is Spectrum and I have my own Arris SB6141 modem.  I returned the R7900P to Costco and installed the Synology AC2600 on Saturday afternoon and so far so good.......

Message 104 of 286
Greg0130
Apprentice

Further report. After a week the Synology AC2600 hasn't required a reboot and is working beautifully. I had one small question for support and was promptly answered with good advice. On another thread, Netgear is still pushing their 1.3.0.11 as a fix. I tested two versions of that firmware and it didn't work.
Message 105 of 286
dr2white
Aspirant

AFter having to reboot my router several times a day for weeks now, I'm done with Netgear.  going to the Synology as well.  What a disappointment reading all of these posts that have the exact same problem as me for months but nothing has been done.  I've been waiting for a firmware update and nothing.  This is embarrassing.

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 106 of 286
Obiwan_
Apprentice

I have been reading in other threads that the WAN connection drop that has effected all firmware versions after V1.1.4.6_1.1.85 It appears that it  has something to do with Smart Connect. The temporary solution is to turn off Smart Connect. The last reported firmware version that worked consistantly with Smart Connect was V1.1.4.6_1.1.85 . Unfortunately there are security issues that this old version does not address. Have any of you shut off. Smart Connect and had your connection issues resolved?

I have two R7900P routers hooked up at my location. Both with static IPs. One was running R7900P-V1.3.0.10_1.2.2 with Smart connect disabled and the other running R7900P-V1.1.4.6_1.1.85 with Smart Connect enabled. I had a 72 hour run with no drops. On 3/27/18 I contacted Netgear Support via email about the WAN dropping, they emailed me back acknowledging issues with WAN dropping with the R7900P. They attempted to contact me via phone after hours at work. I emailed them My cell and they called me 3/29/18 in the afternoon. After a brief conversation and acknowledgement of the WAN dropping problem, I was given access to a beta version (test) . I have downloaded it into both routers and setup Smart connect on both 3/29/18 2100 PDT.

As of 4/1/18  21:30 PDT everything is still running. If this beta  version continues to run without incident we finally may have a solution to the unstable WAN connect/drop.

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 107 of 286
TKaz
Aspirant

After a week, the router locked up again requiring a reboot. Enough. I returned the router to Costco. So far my Asus AC3150 (RT-AC88U) is working great.
Message 108 of 286
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Give it the beta test at least one week before you can come to conclusion....
Message 109 of 286
Obiwan_
Apprentice

What was the ID on the Beta firmware?
Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 110 of 286
nedra
Tutor

I think I'm going to check into the ASUS. I have 3 of their computers & they work flawlessly (except when I'm connected to this Netgear router)

Message 111 of 286
nedra
Tutor

THANKS, WHERE DID YOU BUY YOUR ASUS?

Message 112 of 286
TKaz
Aspirant

I believe there are a lot of options for where to purchase Asus routers. My Asus AC3150 (RT-88U) happened to come from Amazon.com because the price was right and I tacked on the 2-Year SquareTrade protection plan. Good luck! 

Message 113 of 286
netgeerisgoo1
Aspirant

This router was running fine for a while and then a firware update happenend. Now every day it stops working. I called their customer support and they want to charge me money for them to give me technical support over the phone! hahahahahahaha! They must be kidding me! I am just going to return this to costco. Do not buy Netgear they will handicap your router and then charge you money to fix it, with no guarantee to fix it. Horrible

Message 114 of 286

@netgeerisgoo1 wrote:

This router was running fine for a while and then a firware update happenend.

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

@netgeerisgoo1 wrote:

I called their customer support and they want to charge me money for them to give me technical support over the phone! hahahahahahaha!

The classic rip off. But it is "free" for the first 90 days.

Out of interest, does anyone know of hardware makers that provide free lifetime support? If you can name names that might be enough evidence to persuade Netgear to change its attitude.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 115 of 286
dr2white
Aspirant

Well, synology was doing a similar thing so I have already sent it back to Amazon. I did do a factory reset, turned off Smart connect and now the night hawk has worked for two days (before I needed to reboot 2x per day).
Message 116 of 286
Obiwan_
Apprentice

I have two R7900P routers hooked up at my location. Both with static IPs. One was running R7900P-V1.3.0.10_1.2.2 with Smart connect disabled and the other running R7900P-V1.1.4.6_1.1.85 with Smart Connect enabled. A 72 hour run with no drops. On 3/27/18 I contacted Netgear Support via email about the WAN dropping, they emailed me back acknowledging issues with WAN dropping with the R7900P. They attempted to contact me via phone after hours at work. I emailed them My cell and they called me 3/29/18 in the afternoon. After a brief conversation and acknowledgement of the WAN dropping problem, I was given access to a beta version (test) . I have downloaded it into both routers and setup Smart connect on both 3/29/18 2100 PDT. One is Running my location with 10 fixed IPs and 9 various wifi connections on 2.4 and 5 ghz and the other router is just a test setup.. Both of these Routers are still running without incident, 4/7/18 1800 PDT Nine days.

Message 117 of 286
Greg0130
Apprentice

My Synology has worked perfectly ever since I got it - about two weeks ago. Smart Connect is working as it should. Only problem was a Daylight Savings Time issue which has since been corrected.. Tech support was quick and to the point. Much, much better overall experience.
Message 118 of 286
6T9Boss302
Aspirant

Well, I've been a member of this R7900P Frustration Club ever since I updated the firmware to the current version 1.3.0.10.  Of course Netgear wanted to charge me for live support, wouldn't even acknowledge these issues exist with other users.  Sure hope the next firmware release addresses this issue.

Message 119 of 286
user12272017
Tutor

I ended up buying a smart socket from amazon ~10 bucks and setup a reboot at 2am everyday

since then I no longer have any issue. I understand this workaround might not be the best solution for everyone, 

but since I really like this router (besides that internet issue), I guess it's short term solution until (hopefully) netgear engineers come up with a real firmware fix.

Message 120 of 286
tvbob
Apprentice

Just a quick note..  I am beta testing a version of the firmware that has been running completely solid for almost one month.   Trust me that the Level 2 support people are painfully aware of the 7900P firmware issue.

Most recent contact with them is that they are awaiting the actual release version of the firmware.

In the scheme of things, this is really a pretty decent router.

BTW..the local Costco now has a whole bunch of this router model on the shelf.  A recent restocking.

Keep the faith..

Bob

Message 121 of 286
TerryPh
Virtuoso

@tvbob.
Did you run the beta FW with full stress test, ie all supported features are enabled with attached devices....?
Message 122 of 286
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Duplicate post... Sorry
Did you run the beta FW with full stress test, ie all supported features are enabled with attached devices..
Message 123 of 286
Greg0130
Apprentice

I gave up and purchased the Synology.  It has been rock solid, and other than missing a 5GHz channel, I like the features and tech support appears to be much more responsive.

Regarding the 7900P,I tried 1.3.0.11_1.2.2 and 1.3.0.11_1.2.3 and neither worked.  I agree the router has a lot of neat features but all overwhelmed by very poor customer and technical support.  Having to do the same tests over and over again for different "engineers" and expecting different results is the definition of idiocy.

Message 124 of 286
Dmack70
Aspirant

Will wait for beta release. A lot of things today don't work as planned until a few updates. Its just nice when they come out the box working flawlessly
Message 125 of 286
Top Contributors
Announcements