R8000 Firmware Version 1.0.2.44_1.0.96

AudiTuner
Star

Release Notes:
1. [New feature] Supports Dynamic QoS.
2. [New feature] Supports remote access with the genie app.
3. [Bug fix] Fixes the upnpd daemon crash issue when the R8000 router receives a SOAP message from QNAP NAS that is over the maximum length.
4. [Bug fix] Fixes CVE-2014-3566 (POODLE: TSL vulnerability).
5. [Bug fix] Improves the wireless connection stability between the R8000 router and the EX7000 and EX6200 extenders.
6. [New feature] Supports Dynamic QoS.
7. [New feature] Supports remote access with the genie app.
8. [Bug fix] Fixes the upnpd daemon crash issue when the R8000 router receives a SOAP message from QNAP NAS that is over the maximum length.
9. [Bug fix] Fixes CVE-2014-3566 (POODLE: TSL vulnerability).
10. [Bug fix] Improves the wireless connection stability between the R8000 router and the EX7000 and EX6200 extenders.

Message 1 of 118
AudiTuner
Star

Re: R8000 Firmware Version 1.0.2.44_1.0.96

My apologies for the formatting error above. Changes are below.

New Features:

Message 2 of 118
    CladMaster
    Aspirant

The same format error shows up within the router as well.
    Message 3 of 118
    Cyberdude52
    Novice

Upgrade went fine...do I need to do a hard reset?
    Message 4 of 118
    Retired_Member
    Not applicable

based on this taken from the manual I guess not, seeing that the release notes don't mention it.

When the upload is complete, your router restarts. The upgrade process typically takes about one minute. Read the new firmware release notes to find out if you need to reconfigure the router after upgrading.
    Message 5 of 118
    TANWare
    Star

Some quick impressions.

1.) I have two USB drives. The USB 3.0 would not recognize. On reboot it would recognize but would not allow a password on the 3.0 drive. I had to disconnect both drives and then reconnect them.

2.) Stated connection speeds get kicked down more often and to lower speeds. This is using the smart connect.

3.) Throughput down from the USB 3.0 is down slightly on download but seemed up slightly up uploading to the USB 3.0.

4.) Dynamic QoS seems to work but from the USB 3.0 drops upload speed to the USB from 22 MBs to about 20 MBs. Also the upload speed drops to match at about 20 MBs from 31+ MBs. This is a huge improvement over the prior QoS that would make the USB drives match the internet pipes speed.

For now, with the pipe reduction under USB 3.0, I have QoS disabled. My pipe though is 60mbps down and 30mbps up so it is not really needed here as of now.
    Message 6 of 118
    lurzan
    Novice

Cyberdude52 wrote:
    Upgrade went fine...do I need to do a hard reset?

- It's always better to do a soft reset to the router after every firmware upgrade process
    Technologies make work easier

Nazrul Haque
    Message 7 of 118
    TANWare
    Star

I did the soft reset but it did not fix my USB drive issue. I had to do a hard reset. My biggest issue is with the primary drive I could not password protect the route. Unprotected I could connect to the drive but protected I could not.
    Message 8 of 118
    big_j_ny
    Aspirant

Question to all of those that have already upgraded to this new firmware:

In terms if wireless connection stability, is this definitely worth upgrading from the previously release firmware OR should we stick with the previous firmware for now?
    Message 9 of 118
    TANWare
    Star

TBH, I never had a stability issue so it is hard to say. I can tell you it seems the connection rates will drop a step more frequently. Probability is the setup is giving in to the speed drop rather than risk instability at the higher connected speed.
    Message 10 of 118
    Retired_Member
    Not applicable

on previous FW when checking connection rate it was always 780 and bouncing up to 866.7 Now when checking it's 866.7 like the r7000. Weather or not it means anything is yet to be determined.
    Message 11 of 118
    Cyberdude52
    Novice

I have noticed when I turn on Dynamic QOS my download speeds go from 126 down to 35 down. When I turn it off its back at 126 down. Any ideas?
    Message 12 of 118
    TANWare
    Star

126MBs or 126mbps? I had not tested the internet on QoS yet.
    Message 13 of 118
    TANWare
    Star

I can not live just edit so I have to post again. I loose only 1-2 mbps up and down to QoS but I am the only one on the router using bandwidth right now. Be sure to use ookla to measure the bandwidth too. I get of my 60/30mbps about 58/28mbps.

Now if others are pulling bandwidth it will slow your connection down. Same may be especially true if they are doing a Multimedia file and connection and you are just doing a file download. This is what QoS does.

It is Quality of Service after all. It is meant to try and keep all the streams in check so that everyone keeps up service with no disruptions. Even with my fairly fast pipe the kids can get hit. I was running a lot of USB tests along with ookla the other night and the kids were complaining about the internet connection. for their devices. Usually it is not an issue as even file downloads only run at maximum 1/3 of my DL pipe.

Now where this will really help is people doing the file sharing. QoS will slow that down as you and your other devices start using the net and multimedia. Now you could look at connected devices and make yours from high to highest priority. Not too sure it will help but at least you will know you have the most priority.

Now if you go with a custom FW it may allow better control of QoS, but I am fine (at lest so far) with it as is.
    Message 14 of 118
    NetGearHead5
    Guide

Been running the release for a few days now. The streaming in-house from my Synology NAS has been very good. Just watched the whole router spontaneously reboot though. Aggravating.

Do most people that run with this router have two laptops and one smartphone? I have a REAL set up at my house: 3 consoles, 2 desktop computers, 1 laptop, 10 android devices, 5 webcams, etc. It's serious. Netgear should send out a Tech to diagnose in a serious environment. Brother, I've got one.
    Message 15 of 118
    TANWare
    Star

If all you have is 2 laptops and 1 phone there is no reason for the R8000.
    Message 16 of 118
    Rizzed
    Novice

Sorry for barging in onto this thread, but i didn't want to create a new thread as it is related to this new firmware.

I like to torrent a lot (well, not that much, only about 4 torrents downloading simultaneously), and have noticed that the moment my internet speed reaches above 12.5MB/s, the LED's on the router will immediately turn off, and the power LED turn's red. Following that, the WiFi shows no internet, but stays connected. Only after about 2 minutes, the router reboots promptly.

I did not have this issue with the previous firmware though, i even did a full factory reset via the reset button on the router (depressed for 30 seconds), and only changed the DNS server, WiFi settings (SSID and password). That's it.

Possible issue with the new firmware? Any solutions? I do not want to downgrade as the speed on the AC band feels slightly faster.
    Message 17 of 118
    TANWare
    Star

Unfortunately my speed gets no where near there. With 60 mbps I only see about 7.3MBs with ookla. It does sound like the speed is crashing the router. I would ask though have you tried a hard reset from the back of the router?
    Message 18 of 118
    Rizzed
    Novice

Yeah, i tried to reset via the reset button (depressed for 30 seconds), and via the web interface, but to no avail.

Strange though, now i'm getting random disconnects from my room (which usually maintains a stable connection). I will try uploading the previous firmware version back later and see if the issues still persist. Otherwise, it might as well could have been a hardware problem.
    Message 19 of 118
    TANWare
    Star

Another question, the 12.5 MBs is at the limit of a 100mbit connection. Is your WAN connected at Gigabit or just 100 BaseT? If just 100BaseT you may be flooding the routers WAN port.
    Message 20 of 118
    CladMaster
    Aspirant

TANWare wrote:
    If all you have is 2 laptops and 1 phone there is no reason for the R8000.

TANWare,, there was no reason for you to make this comment, you are out of line, we can do as we wish with our $$$.
    Message 21 of 118
    TANWare
    Star

Yes you can do what you want with your money. I am not saying not too buy it, I am saying there is no real need for it over say a R7000. If all I had to worry about were the three mentioned devices (ever) I would have never went with the R8000, in todays landscape of devices this however is a rarity. Between streaming players, networked TV's and other home devices, along with our phones and table and lastly computers and printers, well our homes have become am hive for WiFi activity. Even if not right now, this could well be the case in the near future for the perspective consumer.

In the context of the conversation as well I am well in line. The poster is complaining people use too few devices to need a R8000. He, for the moment and in the 3 device case, may be right. You have to though look case to case as to whether a R8000 is a needed router. This is why there are so many options out there to fit so many situations.

I am here to help, and am a consumer just like a lot of people here who purchased and am using the R8000. I also privately recommend a lot of various hardware purchases and there are actually very few people I know who need this kind of WiFi connectivity, but for those who do I say go for it!
    Message 22 of 118
    Rizzed
    Novice

Definitely, the speed tests of 973Mbps for the download and upload speed shows it all.
    Message 23 of 118
    TANWare
    Star

Wow, that is a pipe plus! I am not sure any consumer router can handle that amount of traffic sustained. With all the extra features demanding some CPU time as well I could easily see the R8000 becoming overwhelmed. Did the old FW handle this? I ask as maybe with the QoS either the CPU demands are too great or at full capacity a bug in the QoS is causing the crash.
    Message 24 of 118
    ch3val
    Novice

Testing of the latest firmware shows that the Dynamic QOS service has a problem. Even though the speedtest correctly identifies the download speed, the upload test is missing the 100s digit.

I have 150 download and 150 download speed with Frontier FOIS. Without dynamic QOS I get speedtest results of 148 down and 150 up. However, using the speedtest on the router I get 147 download but only 49 upload.
    Message 25 of 118
    Top Contributors
    Discussion stats
    Announcements