Re: R8000 Firmware

NGUser2187
Tutor

R8000 Firmware

Is this device going to be getting any new firmward updates?  Last release was in November of 2015.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 38
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 2 of 38
Retired_Member
Not applicable

2 months and counting......................

Message 3 of 38

When are we actually going to see an update? Every other device Netgear still supports has receieved multiple firmware updates since the last update for the r8000. We all know it's not because the current firmware is so polished, so why make us suffer? We did not spend big money to be neglected by the manufacturer with the best reputation for keeping their devices up to date and running well. This is pretty rediculous, I used to recommend Netgear to everyone.     Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 38
meatloafkitten
Initiate

Given how the feature and performance updates/fixes for the R8000 have lagged behind those for other Netgear models, I sincerely hope the primary "benefit" of this supposed firmware update is not just a security patch.

I've quietly monitored this forum for updates related to the disappointing performance of my R8000 for the past year, but I thought it was time to speak up. Maybe if enough people like me complain something will be done? Shouldn't be necessary at all to get a company to support its products, but I guess that's where we are now.

Message 5 of 38
NGUser2187
Tutor

NetGear wants people to request firmware upgrades on their idea suggestion page...

https://twitter.com/NETGEAR/status/770358684006297600

I regret my purchase and recommending it to folks.  

Message 6 of 38

Absolutely rediculous.... They want us to tweet suggestions to beg for a firmware update to fix this mess? They had enough time to push out two crap firmware updates for the r7000 and than post another firmware update to fix it... meanwhile I have to factory reset my r8000 once every 2 months because the firmware is junk and hasb't been updated in almost a year! Models that came out AFTER the last r8000 firmware update have receieved multiple firmware updates since their release.

I don't think I could regret my purchase any harder than I do right now   

Message 7 of 38
NGUser2187
Tutor

Took the time to suggest the obvious idea, per their tweet.  I hope y'all will continue to support this thread and the linked idea in an effort to get increased exposure and official response with substance, from someone outside their social media team.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/R8000-Firmware/idi-p/1133697

Message 8 of 38
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Correction 4 crap versions for the r7000

Message 9 of 38

Ironic that even here in the forums, we're also neglected. No responses from Netgear, no ETA, and yet we wait Smiley Sad

Message 10 of 38
BoDEAN
Apprentice

WHEN will we see an update?!  Shame we spend THIS MUCH MONEY on a router, and the support is horrible!

Message 11 of 38
TANWare
Star

Biigest rip off ever. Top router at the time and crap support. Support was so, ans is, so bad they had to change the forum software to hide the problems and lack of proper responce. I now contantly tell others to stay away from anything netgaer as it is the worst junk with no responsible support.

Message 12 of 38
Willpower
Aspirant

I agree. I am all out of patience now and I have, just like Netgear, all together given up on this device.

The R8000 is clearly abandonware and I will avoid and discourage the use of any and all Netgear equipment from now on, regarding myself, my friends and all our clients in my country. I cannot even express my disappointment over the lack of support and lack of information/replies from Netgear's side regarding firmware upgrades. 

Time will tell if I will find it worth the effort to put our corporate lawyers on this case or if I will just move on with another brand and never look back. 

Message 13 of 38

Meanwhile,  Would it kill Netgear to at least respond to this thread? No ETA on the new firmware... Not even a "oh no we haven't given up on your poor suckers... I mean loyal customers"

You have very unhappy customers calling out for your help, calling out for answers! Perhaps this needs to be escaleted to social media so people will know what they're getting into before giving Netgear any more money.

As much as I love having to factory reset my R8000 every few months so it will run right again, I don't. But the good news is even if they continue to ignore us, Google will be showing off their routers sooner. I will have no problem switching and continue to tell anyone who will listen to avoid Netgear like the plague.

Thanks for nothing, Netgear.

Cheers! 

Message 14 of 38
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

NO ETA as of the moment for the new firmware. I will let you know if it is already available for release.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 15 of 38

Is there a beta firmware we could test? Really, anything would be better than what we're working with now.

This is pretty redicluous, disappointing, and concerning all at the same time.  

Message 16 of 38
funkytechmonkey
Initiate

I came to the fourms today to see if there was an update as well. I have to admit. I HATE MY R8000. It has been nothing but a headache. I am about to smash this thing with a hammer. It is such a POS. Like others have said. I have to hard reset it every month or two. Just trying to log into the management site is a PITA!. That stupid router login redirect site is CRAP. I wish DD-WRT had better reviews on the R8000 so I could wipe netgears crappy firmware off of this sucker. 

Come on Netgear... whats the deal? 

Message 17 of 38
markswift
Aspirant

They don't care. They abondoned the R8000 last year. It's abondonware.

Do what I did and buy an ASUS. I've already replaced my R8000 (use it as a repeater now). So glad I did!

Message 18 of 38

It's hard to even fathom at this point. Next month it will be one year since the last firmware update for the r8000. To add insult to injury, the last firmware update was essentially dead on arrival (or release?) So Netgear, if you're not going to help us out, at least have the decency to come out and tell us this flat out. Give us a beta at least, that would still be better than nothing. Or how about a release date for this mythical firmware we so desperatly need. You talk about adding features to the next firmware update in one post, but can't even tell us if or when we will see it.

Apple just released an update for their iPhone 7 and 7 plus, what if the update crippled the device and didn't bother to release their next update until over a year from now? The sad part is a lot of people paid more for this router than one would pay for a new iPhone with a contract.

People would be rioting in the streets. It would be all over the news, blogs, and social media. I'm not sure why there is not far more outcry for this outrage.

Anyone have any tech blog buddies looking for a story? Send them over to this forum post, please!

In the mean time, I'll just have to keep calling out Netgear until we finally get an answer or some relief. 

Message 19 of 38
TANWare
Star

Give it up. This company has proven it is a joke, did not used to be but now it is. Just keep shouting loud and clear to anyone that will listen not to get sucked in as well.

Message 20 of 38

Netgear still had enough time to to develope and release the r9000 though, and yet still nothing for the r8000..... Give me a break!  You think anyone is going to pay $500 for your latest piece of abandonware after they come to this forum?  SMH

Message 21 of 38
fibercarbon
Tutor

NETGEAR when are you putting new firmware for the R800? I paid a TON of money for this thing........

Message 22 of 38
TANWare
Star

Read the thread, they do not care at all. This site was modified to this format so that others can not easily see how bad support is.

Message 23 of 38
DOOMZ
Aspirant

Whats going on? I have been waiting for almost a year for a new firmware update! WHEN ALREADY!!! You guys are going to loose a lot of customers like this...

Message 24 of 38

I would love to have some update on my router,  paid a grip of money for it and it's not worth the cash.  It's been over a year sense there's been an update on the firmware.  Crazy,  windows and had massive updates, IOS update, Android update and yet, the firmeware on the r8000 that cost north of $300 has the same software from last year!  Someone needs to step up and fix this!

Message 25 of 38
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E