Re: R8000P FIRMWARE ISSUE ONGOING

BobStevenson
Apprentice

R8000P FIRMWARE ISSUE ONGOING

Obviously an ongoing issue as there is not a fix at this time. I wanted to share this however:

Got a brand new in the cellophane R8000P exactly like the other one. Once connected it wanted to update from 1.4.1.42 to 1.4.1.50, which is NOT the latest firmware available for this model. I refused the update. I then downloaded, to my PC, the latest firmware, 1.4.1.62. I unzipped and uploaded to the router. After reboot, my firmware version was 1.4.1.62, the latest.

The other router, same model, it was automatically upgraded to 1.4.1.50 and now I can neither downgrade it to 1.4.1.42 nor upgrade it to 1.4.1.62
I have used every way possible way from different protocols to console commands. Seems that once these things are at 1.4.1.50 they are there forever.....or so it seems.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 26

I don't dispute there is an issue, but mt upgrade history is 1.4.1.24 > 1.4.1.30 > 1.4.1.42 > 1.4.1.50 > 1.4.1.62.  There's only one hardware revision of the R8000P according to the support portal. I have no idea why some can upgrade and others can't (manually) but enough users have reported the issue now. I reported it to the mods a month ago and still nothing.

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 2 of 26
BobStevenson
Apprentice

Only an assumption from your post: if you were able to go from 1.4.1.50 to 1.4.1.62 and some are not then it stands to reason that a piece of hardware is different. I used to be R&D guy and we had an issue where the board guys received the same programmable IC except it was a rev 2 and we designed for a rev 1. We had to modify our code to compensate for the new input requirement. It happens even when you specify no subs. Idk...you got lucky!
Message 3 of 26
labatt
Mentor

@shadowsports wrote:

I don't dispute there is an issue, but mt upgrade history is 1.4.1.24 > 1.4.1.30 > 1.4.1.42 > 1.4.1.50 > 1.4.1.62.  There's only one hardware revision of the R8000P according to the support portal. I have no idea why some can upgrade and others can't (manually) but enough users have reported the issue now. I reported it to the mods a month ago and still nothing.

Come on. You are talking about Netgear. Do you really expect an answer from folks that cannot provide a working firmware after years? Sold off my r8000  and r8000p a couple of years ago due to firmware issues and it seems nothing has improved. No oversite, no testing, and no QA on new firmware from what I can observe. Off shore company should be fired. By the way, Netgear used to be my go to. 

Went toward commercial products and could not be happier. Solid, fast and never down 1 gig Internet network with coverage for whole hard to cover house. Whats not to like? Will say I have been happy with Netgear modems. They seem to just work unlike the routers. They have to be more careful with firmware or the ISP will not allow the modem. 

Message 4 of 26
BobStevenson
Apprentice

Since my deal with netgear is done and I’m a consumer and I am not a stockholder and I am never ever buying anything netgear again ......
Folks, it took me arguing and consistently contacting support for almost 3 weeks!! To get an RMA for my R8000P stuck at 1.4.1.50. They sent me a new one. My previous post describes what I did with the new one. Old one on its way back to Netgear via FedEx. THAT IS THEIR FIX! Another one to fight with!! New in is at 1.4.1.62 so I am the ginea pig when the next firmware version hits. Will I be able to upgrade or not? That is the question not yet answerable by me or the freakin’ manufacturer!!! Really? Yes, really! Best of luck folks and I’ll be seeing you on the next firmware release I’m sure.
Message 5 of 26
BobStevenson
Apprentice

Real quick.....anybody try to flash these boat anchors with a third party vendor? Dd-wrt or ??? The old r8000p; I wasn’t able to break into once it auto updated to 1.4.1.50. Have we got a guru here that has the time to find the serial port to solder a serial cable to to force feed this barely living creature? Linksys has pads on their board to solder a serial cable to and you can flash anything you want. I’m still using a linksys flashed with dd-wrt as a public hotspot and it is a workhorse! Should have stuck with what works I suppose. It just aggravates me to no end the fleecing of consumers with sub par products and no tangible support.
Message 6 of 26
labatt
Mentor

This a write up for r8000. Most Netgear routers have the same setup. Even pins. Have used this how to on more then one Netgear router. 

https://www.myopenrouter.com/article/how-set-serial-console-netgear-r8000

Message 7 of 26
BobStevenson
Apprentice

@labatt Thank you. If I have issues with this R8000P, I'll put my WRT3200ACM back in-line and the boat anchor apart and play with it. So far 1.4.1.62 is working as designed....so far! I believe if folks bug them enough and use outside resources, like the FTC, they will get true support. Beware that if they send another unit, it will be the same model with the possibly the same issue and you have 10 days to return the defective unit or they will charge you for the retail price of the replacement. Very difficult people to work with. WAY too many levels/departments/eschelons! Didn't "they" tell us, when we were growing up, that all this technology crap was going to make our lives so much easy and faster and efficient? And paper was pretty much going to be a thing of the past? Pretty much goes in the same category as that warning of doing something else too much was going to make you go blind! LOL!

Message 8 of 26
BobStevenson
Apprentice

Thank you. If I have issues with this R8000P, I'll put my WRT3200ACM back in-line and the boat anchor apart and play with it. So far 1.4.1.62 is working as designed....so far! I believe if folks bug them enough and use outside resources, like the FTC, they will get true support. Beware that if they send another unit, it will be the same model with the possibly the same issue and you have 10 days to return the defective unit or they will charge you for the retail price of the replacement. Very difficult people to work with. WAY too many levels/departments/eschelons! Didn't "they" tell us, when we were growing up, that all this technology crap was going to make our lives so much easy and faster and efficient? And paper was pretty much going to be a thing of the past? Pretty much goes in the same category as that warning of doing something else too much was going to make you go blind! LOL!

Message 9 of 26
BobStevenson
Apprentice

WELL! Here we MIGHT go again! New firmware version just released, 1.4.1.64

Will be TRYING to update later today. Will post results here. Interested to know if people on 1.4.1.50 can update AND whether the update feature actually "sees" the new firmware.

We've Enhanced Your Product's Security.
Please Update to the Latest Firmware.
Your products have the following updates available:
R8000P
Learn how to update here
Serial Number: XXXXXXXXXXXXXUse the Nighthawk App to update your firmware
App Store 
Google Store
If you don't have an iOS or Android capable device, visit this page.

Watch this video to learn more:

"Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body.  The invalid HTML has been removed."

LOL! Exactly what I would've expected from NetGear....invalid HTML! Geeez! Probably what's wrong with the server too!

Message 10 of 26
nwork
Apprentice

Ok, so did the update work? I'm on .50 and the .64 update doesn't work, just like the .62 didn't.

Message 11 of 26
KennyG944
Star

.50 appears to be permanent for the R8000Ps.  Like one of the others here in this feed, got my replacement R8000P and the .50 one is on it's way back via FedEx.  My replacement is on .42 and I'm basically holding there until I hear from others on .64.  Only thing I've noticed since installing the replacement is that Armor is no longer showing on my Nighthawk phone app. 

Message 12 of 26
BobStevenson
Apprentice

Just attempted to check for updates via nighthawk app....it says that my firmware is up to date HOWEVER, it is NOT. Brand new router updated to 1.4.1.62 and now won’t update to 1.4.1.64! Am I surprised? Nope! This is pure stupidity!! Going to Best Buy today to replace this thing with anything EXCEPT NETGEAR!
Message 13 of 26
BobStevenson
Apprentice

Three freakin weeks of arguing back and forth, paid for rushed shipping, get a new unit and the same issue!! WTF Netgear??? Obviously Netgear has one big 1D-10T error! How sickening to be played by them. Purely Theft by Deception! Last dime you get from me!!
Message 14 of 26
Ghost_
Initiate

Originally purchased this router approx less then 90 days ago. I started to noticed that there was a huge drop of speed on upload not so much on download. I decided to go on the app to see if there was a firmware update available, none. I went on the website it stated there that there was a update. I tried several times to do the manual upload. I was unsuccessful to do it, I had the ending of .50 firmware at the time. After being disconnect several times from customer support and walk through uploading the old version and doing some crazy resets, the customer service rep told me I had a defective router. 

Took a trip to Best Buy the next day and I begged and pleaded and kiss the managers hand so they can do the exchange for me since I had no idea they only did 15 day return policy. Finally , got the exchange. Shortly after I went online to the router login after hooking everything up. I was surprise the router had the firmware version of V1.4.1.42 even after downloading the Netgear app to register your router, it did a "update" check. In conclusion at the end I was able to do a manual upload of the latest firmware from my knowledge V1.4.1.64 .

Message 15 of 26
BobStevenson
Apprentice

WELL FOLKS.....After fighting and fighting and arguing and TTFP and everydamnthing else....DID NOT WORK. THIS MORNING, I opened the Nighthawk App on my phone, because the BOAT ANCHOR wasn't working, to REBOOT. I initiated the reboot and the app had an orange button that said "UPDATE". I initiated the update and Voila' it actually updated to 1.4.1.64 from 1.4.1.62! I guess the goofballs finally decided there WAS an issue! POS still VERY slow in intializing the second 5G network...IF it comes up at all! I needed to reboot twice to even see the second 5G network and connect. It still has BUGS....like when going to a website and initially it indicates that the server can't be reached then connects to the site. It is NOT A SEAMLESS TRANSACTION between the PC and the router....IT HAS A LATENCY somewhere or a BOTTLE-NECK. More than likely it is their POORLY written firmware code. It was the reason no one could update as designed.

Post back your experiences with this BOAT-ANCHOR now that they have finally opened the door to update. Personally, this the LAST EVER NetGear ANYTHING! Support sucks, technical knowledge sucks, customer service sucks....AND!!! My RMA that they said would have a NEW SUPPORT period like a new unit was BS!!!! I have been thrown off of My Support and ALL my support tickets were closed by NetGear!!! They say my support time is over when in actuallity I should have support from the day I accepted the RMA package at my house....LIKE THEY SAID! Stay away from these folks....NO GOOD!! LIARS. CHEATS. FLEECERS. NETGEAR SUCKS IMO.

Message 16 of 26
BobStevenson
Apprentice

AND FURTHERMORE....If you want to throw me off of here for speaking the truth about Netgear, that's fine too because this POS ROUTER is on FB Marketplace right now! So sick of these JACK-LEGGED companies fleecing people for profit just to satisfy a bunch of rich-ass  stock holders! UP YOURS NETGEAR!

Message 17 of 26
nwork
Apprentice

LOL! Ok, so now the Nighhawk app and the desktop router interface both let me know that a firmware update is available. WOW, supposed big step forward, super excitement etc. I do the update and... surprise, surprise, I'm still on .50. What the hell!?!?

Message 18 of 26
BobStevenson
Apprentice

WHAT A JOKE HUH?

After 3-4 weeks and you get your RMA, when you get the new one it SHOULD be at 1.4.1.42

DO NOT, DO NOT use their update function because it wants to go to 1.4.1.50!

Download the latest update from the support site on your PC, unzip and place the .chk on your desktop and manually update the router to the latest version.

TFTP does NOT work with 1.4.1.50 either.

And don't let them send you down some dark path changing things in your previously fine PC!

Support people have CANNED ANSWERS and NO technical knowledge whatsoever.

Anyhow, that's how I did mine FYI.

Something seriously wrong with 1.4.1.50....IN FACT, there is something seriously wrong with N.E.T.G.E.A.R !

HEY, I'll sell you mine! REAL CHEAP! My new Linksys works as designed, as always. AND better thru-put! AND no "mysterious" DoS attacks, etc. I believe those are initiated by NETGEAR to persuade you to pay for the security "feature" on their routers. No better than APPLE slowing down and introducing bugs to older iPhones in an effort to MAKE you upgrade.

Best of luck!

Message 19 of 26
nwork
Apprentice

Still waiting on the RMA. They're really taking their time with it :). I'm seriously considering going back to my rt-ac87u, which is still working flawlessly after many years. Problem is I spent alot of money on this and I don't feel ok with reselling a thing I know is not working as it should (contrary to some companies having no issue with mass sales of defective products).

Message 20 of 26
KennyG944
Star

The biggest problem is Netgear outsourcing everything to India.  Get rid of these consulting firms like Tata and hire some real local expertise here in the good old US of A.  But the problem is, they don't want to pay them.  Why pay real technicians when you can outsource and pay their "techs" a fourth of what you'd pay a US employee? 

Message 21 of 26
Keved57
Aspirant

My R800p got stuck on firmware Rev “50” after an auto update 👎.
Sent it back and got a replacement and did a manual upgrade to Rev “64”.
Now I see Rev ”66” is available but I will wait a while .

Not good Netgear
Message 22 of 26
tken
Initiate

With the latest firmware - 68 - I can't reach NAS from Windows PC. And Linux PC failed to get its IP address by DHCP.

I downgraded to 30 which is the last version supporting Time Machine backup. And I have no problem with it.

Message 23 of 26
andyschloss
Aspirant

I also got stuck at version V1.4.1.50_1.3.10.  I have four months left on the hardware warranty and I called and told them the hardware was defective. The tech tried to get me to talk to tech support which I politely told him I do not need support. I need the router to upgrade. I pointed to all the posts on this issue. He was polite and gave me an RMA. We'll see what happens next. I still have my old WNDR3400 and it has always worked perfectly so I wrongly assumed my next one would be as good. I should have listened to my son.

I think it might be time to gather large Twitter accounts  and write the issues to @netgear. I had success with Bluehost and Avis on Twitter.

Message 24 of 26
DeadTaco
Tutor

This problem is still ongoing, and I just contacted Netgear tech support, but because the router is a month out of warranty, I'm screwed.  Even though Netgear is the one that damaged my router, there is no recourse.

Just like with everyone else, the router reboots after the update, the version never changes. I've tried flashing it through the web interface, through the netgear phone app, through a direct Ethernet connection, by downloading the firmware and uploading it to the router, and through TFTP. Nothing works.

v1.4.1.50 of the firmware is flawed and will destroy your device.  Thanks Netgear.  I'll spread the word about how godawful your products are.  Cripes.

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 30 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E