Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8500 - Set up same SSID in 2,4Ghz and 5Ghz band

Javichu1984
Aspirant

R8500 - Set up same SSID in 2,4Ghz and 5Ghz band

Hello everybody.

I'm going to buy the new R8500, but before I wan't to know if now is possible to set up the same SSID in the 2,4Ghz and 5Ghz Band. I remember that in the past it was not possible.

There was a workaround for this:

"The way around this issue is through the popup. It seems that it is a simple javascript popup that prevents you from applying the settings. The easy way around it; is to use Firefox. Hit Apply, then ok to the pop-up. Do it again 2 or 3 times. Firefox with then ask you if you want to disable popups for this page. Check the box, and hit ok. The next time you hit Apply, the settings will be saved."

But I don't know if it continues working.

Is possible now to set up the same SSID?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
drummin1
Guide

Re: R8500 - Set up same SSID in 2,4Ghz and 5Ghz band

Yes you can set up all three radios to use the same SSID and passphrase. That's how I have mine configured. It's called "Load Balancing" in the router's manual. Alternatively, you can bind the pair of 5Ghz radios to a single 5Ghz SSID in what Netgear calls "Smart Connect", leaving you with the 2.4Ghz radio for legacy devices and the combined 5Ghz radios for the newer tech.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
drummin1
Guide

Yes you can set up all three radios to use the same SSID and passphrase. That's how I have mine configured. It's called "Load Balancing" in the router's manual. Alternatively, you can bind the pair of 5Ghz radios to a single 5Ghz SSID in what Netgear calls "Smart Connect", leaving you with the 2.4Ghz radio for legacy devices and the combined 5Ghz radios for the newer tech.

Message 2 of 6
spewak
Luminary

Javi,

Great question. I did not know that it was possible to have same SSID for both bands.

Message 3 of 6
Javichu1984
Aspirant

Thank you so much!

I thought Smart Connect will work on all the 3 bands, to move devices from the slower to the faster Wi-Fi.

So @drummin1 if you disable smart connect, you could set up all the 3 SSID manually with each own passphrase, but you could also set up the same for all the 3?

Extracted from the manual:

Load Balancing
The router uses load balancing to distribute WiFi connections among all three WiFi bands, to ensure that both the WiFi bands are utilized. Load balancing prevents overloading a single 5 GHz band and ensures that both the WiFi bands are utilized and device connections are spread across the two bands.
For example, if three mobile devices are connected to one 5 GHz band, the fourth device is automatically connected to the other 5 GHz band.
Slower devices like printers, older computers, or IP cameras connect to the 2.4 GHz band.The presence of two 5 GH bands prevents overloading when many devices use WiFi at the same time.

So I assume, the device will move automatically the devices from the 2,4Ghz band to one of the 5Ghz band... so what is the difference in the algorithm between Smart Connect and Load Balancing? Just that Load Balancing will work with all 3 bands and Smart Connect just to the 5Ghz Bands?

@spewak It's what is causing that I don't have bought it yet, because I don't want to had more than one SSID.

Message 4 of 6
NightOwl326
Luminary

No this router does not do band selection between 2.4 ghz and 5.0 ghz. Asus has that feature on their 5300. Setting one ssid for all three radios is a sloppy way to achieve the same results but does not achieve true band selection. Netgear has chosen to include this feature, and the asus inclusion of this feature has caused more problems than it solves.

Message 5 of 6
drummin1
Guide

You know NightOwl326, I can't recall where I got it in my head that one SSID for all three radios was an option. Maybe it's because I used to do drugs? Don't get me wrong, I still do drugs, but I used to too...

Sorry to Jav for misleading you about the three-radios-one-SSID thing. I read the manual cover to cover and can't find any reference to it. Regardless, I changed my settings to a 2.4Ghz SSID and a paired 5Ghz SSID. Plopped my older laptops and phones on the 2.4Ghz band as they aren't equipped for 802.11ac. Streaming devices and new phones are on the 5Ghz. Done and done.

-Mike

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7