R8500 issues with adding a switch

soginator
Aspirant

R8500 issues with adding a switch

So my house came pre wired for ethernetl. Great. I wanted to add a switch to the main hub where all the wires are in the master bedroom closet, and have my router in the hallway upstairs for maximum coverage. For whatever reason though, if I connect the switch at the hub and the router in the hallway, I get IP address conflicts. However, if I connect the router at the hub, and the switch in the hallway, it works just fine. I find this odd because with my old router I never had this problem. I upgraded to the r8500 because I have a gigabit connection now, and would prefer this router works. Any idea on what is causing it?

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 21
StephenB
Guru

Re: R8500 issues with adding a switch

I'm not certain that I understand the topology.

Is the "main hub" a device, or is it just where all the connections terminate?  If it is a device, can you give us the manufacturer/model?

Do you have two ethernet connections to the hallway?

What model is the switch?

Are you connecting your ISP ethernet cable to that switch?

The way this normally is done:  The ISP ethernet is connected to the internet port of the R8500 (and doesn't go through the switch).  You can use a patch cable to get this connection to the hallway from the wiring closet if you like.  You also need a return ethernet cable from one of the router LAN ports back to the closet.  That is connected to the switch (along with all the other lines).

Message 2 of 21
soginator
Aspirant

Sorry the hub is not a device, just the area where the Ethernet cables terminate. I would like to connect my Netgear prosafe gs108 there. From there, I would connect the Ethernet cables to the rooms and then the r8500 in one of the rooms. So what I'd like to do is modem > gs108 > r8500. I could do this is my previous home with a different Netgear router. With the r8500 I am forced to do modem > r8500
Message 3 of 21
LeeH
Prodigy

Are you running the R8500 as an AP or a router?  It sounds like you need to configure it as an AP and get your IP addresses from the modem DHCP server.

Message 4 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@soginator wrote:
So what I'd like to do is modem > gs108 > r8500. 

If this is a modem, then it has to be 

modem -> R8500 -> gs108 -> everything else.

So you need two ethernet lines to the hallway.

if this is a gateway then gateway-> gs108 ->r8500 will work if the R8500 is in AP mode.

Message 5 of 21
soginator
Aspirant

Okay so running two ethernet lines won't work.
The modem is a modem...or whatever Cox gave me for the fiber connection. It only has a single connection so I'm pretty sure it is a modem and not a gateway.
Is there something the size of a switch that I could use as a gateway (must have a minimum of 8 connections)? All of this stuff connects in a cabinet that I would like to close and never look at again, and another full router would be too big.

I did try to run modem > gs108 > router as an AP but that did not seem to work.

Message 6 of 21
LeeH
Prodigy

Just wondering what speed you are trying to support.  If it is gigabit then there is no easy answer.  If it is something less then maybe a powerline adapter would work for you.

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/powerline/PLP1200.aspx

You will never get the maximum rated speed of the powerline adapter but you may be able to get very good speed with newer wiring.

You could use your existing wiring run to your router at full speed and then connect one of the LAN output ports to a powerline adapter and use the other adapter in you closet to receive the network signal from your router to supply network connectivity to your switch.

I replaced my CAT5 cables with CAT7 cables and they are probably the best answer for buying new cables.

Message 7 of 21
soginator
Aspirant

I'm not overly worried about the top speed. It only makes a minor difference when I'm downloading a new game or something. The ping I wouldn't want to lose. I do have cat 6 cables and I'm usually around 925-950 up/down. So maybe this will work. Thanks.
Message 8 of 21
LeeH
Prodigy

Please let us know how you solve this and mark your solution as solved so other people with the same issue can use your solution.

Message 9 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@soginator wrote:

I did try to run modem > gs108 > router as an AP but that did not seem to work.

No that won't work, you need a router.

Depending on your ISP, you might be able to replace your modem with a gateway (modem+router).  Then you could use the R8500 as an AP, and you wouldn't need more equipment (just different equipment).  You'd leave the gateway wifi off (assuming whole house coverage).

If you want to connect all the ethernet cables in the closet, you should get a bigger switch.

FWIW it is possible to multiplex both the internet and lan connections to the router, though it is a bit complex.  You'd use smart switches in both the closet and the hallway, and set up a VLAN for the internet path. I'm using that approach, and it works fine unless you have > 500 mbit ISP speed. But it does require a bit more network knowledge that most homeowners have.  Once set up, you can easily move the router to any room that's wired with ethernet.

Message 10 of 21

As the switch is non manageable it should not be an issue.

Try to reboot the router or factory reset!

Message 11 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@aalexandrebeta wrote:

As the switch is non manageable it should not be an issue.

I don't know which configuration you are referring to, but modem > gs108 > router won't work if you attempt to connect other devices to the switch.  

Message 12 of 21
soginator
Aspirant

Well I tried the power line method, and while it did work, it dropped my speeds from 950/950 to about 35/25. I'll let it run for a few more hours in case the network needs to work something out, but I'm not holding my breath. I'll check with my ISP and see if I can have the modem replaced, but since it is a fiber  modem and I do not rent it (it stays with the house) I doubt it.
I am okay with configuring a VLAN on a managed switch. Any instructions you can point me to?

Message 13 of 21
LeeH
Prodigy

Could you use your switch to supply Internet to all your wired connections including the router, then use the router as a Wireless Access Point (WAP)?  To bad there is no way to run another network cable.

Message 14 of 21
soginator
Aspirant

I tried that and for whatever reason it didn't work. If there is some setting I'm missing I'm game to try it, but I just assumed all I'd need was to hit the box next to make the router an Access point.

Message 15 of 21
LeeH
Prodigy

Yes, something isn't right.  You shouldn't be getting IP conflicts with your router in AP mode.  It should have the DHCP server off when running as an AP.

Message 16 of 21
soginator
Aspirant

DHCP is off, though I only found that setting under LAN and not wireless. I set it to wireless access point and it's still acting strange. I'll give it another hour or so and hopefully it will work out whatever issue is happening.
Message 17 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@LeeH wrote:

Could you use your switch to supply Internet to all your wired connections including the router, then use the router as a Wireless Access Point (WAP)?  To bad there is no way to run another network cable.

That doesn't work, and people here keep advising him to do it anyway. Smiley Frustrated HE HAS A MODEM, NOT A GATEWAY.  THE SWITCH CAN'T ACT AS A ROUTER.  

@soginator wrote:

I tried the power line method, and while it did work, it dropped my speeds from 950/950 to about 35/25

Impressive service.  If I had realized that, I would have recommended against powerline - it simply can't match that.

Here's the options:

(1) You could put the R8500 in the wiring closet (assuming it fits), and see what wifi speeds you get in the house.  

(2) You could also get an R7000 for the closet, and turn it's wifi off.  Then deploy the R8500 as an access point in the hallway.

Either way, you can continue to use the switch, just connect it to one of the router's lan ports.

(3) You could pay someone to run a second ethernet cable from the wiring closet to the hallway, and put the R8500 there.  Use a short ethernet patch cable in the closet to connect the modem to ethernet run that goes to the router's internet port, and connect the return LAN cable to the switch (along with all the other connections).

There are a couple of 8-port gigabit wired routers out there btw.  I looked because the space sounds tight in the closet.  But none of the ones I found can keep up with your 950/950 speed.   The Netgear FVS318G for instance has LAN->WAN throughput of only 250 mbps.  Similar models from other vendors couldn't keep up either.  I think the issue is that they have business-class firewalls, which slows their performance.

Message 18 of 21
soginator
Aspirant

The router is too big to fit and I have to use a table or something to support it in my already cramped closet otherwise I wouldn't even worry about it. R7000 would result in the same issue. Looks like I'll be paying someone. Or I might be able to do it myself. I do know there's attic access.
Message 19 of 21
LeeH
Prodigy

You said "The modem is a modem...or whatever Cox gave me for the fiber connection".  I wonder if Cox could charge you an extra couple dollars and give you a modem/router and then you wouldn't have to buy anything more or run an extra cable.  Call them and see what they can do.

Message 20 of 21
soginator
Aspirant

I intend to ask them tomorrow.

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements