Re: R9000 X10 Firmware Version 1.0.5.18

kc6108
Luminary

R9000 X10 Firmware Version 1.0.5.18

New Features and Enhancements:

• Supports Plex media server version 1.19.4
  • Supports additional ISPs from Asia in the ISP profile list on Internet Setup page
  • Updates the iQoS database to version 1.80
  • Updates the Ookla engine to version 3.7.0.6
  • Updates the China gaming VPN Funjsq engine to version 2.2.29

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes the SAMBA issue when the file size is greater than 2 GB

Download Link: 

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R9000/R9000-V1.0.5.18.zip 

Lack of planning on your part does NOT constitute an emergency on mine.
Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 17
fercho1974
Guide

Anyone upgrade to the 1.0.5.18 firmware yet?  Issues / comments / concerns?  I've been bit too many times by the lack of QA & regression testing at Netgear.  Zero confidence in their SDLC process.

Message 2 of 17
softerist
Apprentice

Info about newest router firmware (1.0.5.18) for Nighthawk X10.

There are some problems that haven't been fixed since almost one year I think.

1) Readyshare from USB_Storage not working properly since firmware version 1.0.5.2 - and this is a very big problem

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R9000-X10-Nighthowk-Firmware-Version-1-0-5-8...

2) QoS it's also damaged since firmware version 1.0.5.2

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Start-QoS-Failed-12-2019/m-p/1843904

3) Plex Media Server no longer available for download or update since firmware version 1.0.5.18. Downgrading the firmware to any version doesn't fix anything

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Plex-Media-Server-not-working-on-Nighthawk-X...

Message 3 of 17
schumaku
Guru

@Christian_R  does Netgear QA not have an R9000 at hand for testing?

How comes .18 was not made available (months after the .15 Beta) in the Beta community?

Worst: Why was the telnet option removed from /debug.htm please????? Appears somebody does hate when we look under the hood! 

On .15 we discovered the udhcpd.leases was not updated at all. And why ever some RD heroes decided to go away from the to udhcpd - prohibiting now to introduce the year-long requested automatic local DNS feature readily available on the original code (but never made available by Netgear).

@softerist wrote:

1) Readyshare from USB_Storage not working properly since firmware version 1.0.5.2 - and this is a very big problem

Agree, authorized access does still not work (admin and password). Changing the password does not help either. Shame Netgear!

@softerist wrote:

2) QoS it's also damaged since firmware version 1.0.5.2

QoS started nicely on the .15 Beta. 

QoS started after the update from .15 to .18 for me.

Disabling QoS and Enabling QoS again works here on .18.

Potentially related to an old QoS DB? No idea - here we have netgear-detection-db-v1.80  Release Date: Mar 23 2020

@softerist wrote:

3) Plex Media Server no longer available for download or update since firmware version 1.0.5.18. Downgrading the firmware to any version doesn't fix anything

Plex Version Update
 Enable Automatic Plex New Version Update

Current Plex version: 1.18.3.2156-349e9837e  Jan 14, 2020

New Plex version: 1.19.4.2935-79e214ead  Jan 14, 2020

A new Plex version is available. Do you want to update?   Update Now

...release date for this new Plex version in late June 2020, so the date is another bug, this does end in (the typo is free)...

Unknow error.  

...whatever happened under the hood. 

Netgear does continue to ruin the small remaining reputation in the consumer router business (here a 499 USD unit...).

Message 4 of 17
DerekV
Guide

As I noted in another post, this update is causing random reboots - the beta was more stable. I did a manual update this morning to see if anything changes.

Message 5 of 17
fercho1974
Guide

Ugh that is disappointing for sure and frustrating. Especially with working from home due to COVID, stability is essential with the router. I hope they fix the reboot issue soon without further breaking other things.
Netgear should really take a look at their sdlc process and make changes. Their testing of new firmware is simply horrible.
Message 6 of 17
schumaku
Guru

Well, there is much more than just the lack of SDLC.

We have here - for Netgear - a unique router based on a plain basic Linux application platform. All got Plex (if they want), China got a VPN gamer client. Any many other features readily available on other router of the similar generation, for example a generic VPN client (ideally with policy routing as available on the gaming models) for connecting to VPN services customers want does still not exist.

Even basic authenticated SAMBA access to the USB connected storage is broken for more than a half year now.

Message 7 of 17
DerekV
Guide

I reinstalled and still had issues with reboots. So I turnedf off QoS and it's been stable for close to 24 hours.

My Orbi RBK50 gave me far fewer issues albeit at less throughput.

I'm inclined to give Voxel's open source firmware a shot this weekend before I jump ship completely.

Message 8 of 17
tabarnes19
Star

Very disappointed in the firmware. Tried the 1.0.5.18 from the 1.05.02 and nothing but constant internet drops and lack of abiliuty to access readyshare files.

I spent a premium on this router for readyshare integration as well as plex and the updates have done nothing but break these features and make things more difficult.

Message 9 of 17
fercho1974
Guide

Ive pretty much thrown in the towel with Netgear.  Been using them since I can remember, but i just give up.

I am waiting for a Firewalla device and probably going with Ubuquiti AP's.  I hear nothing but god things from their customers, none of this mickey mouse crap.

Message 10 of 17
labatt
Prodigy

@fercho1974 wrote:

Ive pretty much thrown in the towel with Netgear.  Been using them since I can remember, but i just give up.

I am waiting for a Firewalla device and probably going with Ubuquiti AP's.  I hear nothing but god things from their customers, none of this mickey mouse crap.

I jumped to Ubiquiti and have not looked back. They just work for me. network never down and no slowdowns. I use an Edgerouter 4 as well. 

Modem CM2050V
Message 11 of 17
fercho1974
Guide

may i ask what AP's you went with and how many?

Message 12 of 17
labatt
Prodigy

@fercho1974 

To keep us from getting banned, have had happen once. PM me and I can give you details. 

Modem CM2050V
Message 13 of 17
fercho1974
Guide

Roger that, noted and done.

Message 14 of 17
JonKeys
Apprentice

Waited a few weeks before I reported back on this firmware. I was hoping Netgear had finally listened and got their act together, but many existing issues remain. 

Improvements over the previous beta firmware 1.0.5.15:

1) Some ReadyShare issues improved. The admin credential issues and connection problems when switching Wireless Networks) has been resolved. (Previously you had to reboot the laptop in order to gain access to ReadyShare again if at any point you moved off and then back to the Wi-Fi network that inhabited ReadyShare (R9000) e.g. To a mobile hotspot and then back to the home network).

Remaining Issues:

1) The ReadyShare auto media refresh mechanism still does not work properly. It eventually stops working and then has to be activated manually each time in the ReadyShare advanced settings. Restarting the router does not resolve the issue once it appears. Only performing a factory reset gets the auto refresh to work again.

2) ReadyShare external drives/USB issues remain, and they're very bad!. 2 USB devices still can not be used at the same time without creating massive instability. e.g. Drives disconnect randomly and disappear every few days etc. But even with just 1 drive, every few weeks, the drive will just randomly disconnects and refuses to reappear. After about 2 hours of turning the router on and off, disconnecting and reconnecting the USB devices in question, it is possible to get the USB devices to be detected again, but there is no clear or consistent set of things to do to accomplish this. And the time involved in resolving it, is massive. ReadyShare just decides to stop working with external USB drives, and then after a significant amount labour and fiddling, it suddenly starts working again. Horrific is the only word to describe the experience. 

What a terrible company for not having fixed all of this yet. I've been reporting on these issues for almost a year. I regret spending so much money on this product, and will never buy NetGear again. I recommened you don't either.

Message 15 of 17
y777
Aspirant

Thank you guys for letting me know that I will save the horror and skip this upgrade 

- just like I had to roll back and skip all previous updates -

I bought this router for the external USB and Plex with SMB Shares. There is no need for me to yell out frustrated it stopped working after an update. 

Thanks!

Never netgear again!!

Message 16 of 17
zaileion
Aspirant

Constant random reboots.  10 or more a day.  Very upsetting.

Firmware 1.5.0.24

I am trying to disable the QoS service but there is no disable...  Does anyone know how to disable?

I can remove the check next to dynamic.

Then there are 2 options under INternet Bandwith, 1 says let speedtest determine my speed and the other says let me set the speed but I have to choose one or the other...

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements