Readyshare Vault doesn't find ReadyNAS on R8000

TimSchneider
Aspirant

Readyshare Vault doesn't find ReadyNAS on R8000

Hello,

I have a ReadyNAS backup device connected to my R8000 router. I have just installed the Readyshare vault software, but when the software in run (initiated through the genie software) the vault software does not find my readyNAS and states "No ReadySHARE devices found".

Is this a common problem? am I missing something?

Cheers

Tim

Message 1 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Re: Readyshare Vault doesn't find ReadyNAS on R8000

Hi

For ReadyNAS, you may need the ReadyNAS Vault instead of the ReadyShare Vault. 

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23703/related/1?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

Message 2 of 12
TimSchneider
Aspirant

Thanks for the response, however from my reading of ReadyNAS vault, that I did look at before making this post, this backs up the data on my ReadyNAS system to a cloud backup, which isn't what I'm looking to do.

I'm looking to use the Readyshare Vault, which is accessed via the Genie software, to manage the backing up of my PC to the ReadyNAS device. 

The issue is the Readyshare Vault software doesn't find the ReadyNAS device on the network.

Message 3 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi TimSchneider,

The ReadyShare Vault is used for ReadyShare feature of the router. Which means there should be a USB drive connected to the router via the USB port. Since ReadyNAS is a network storage, that will be the reason why it will not be detected the ReadyShare vault software. Check the KB below ReadyNAS back up feature.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29788

JamesGL 

Community Team

Message 4 of 12
storm1985
Prodigy

@TimSchneider

Readyshare vault - you are backing up data using the Readyshare USB disk or HDD connected to the USB PORT of the R8000.

ReadyNAS Vault - you will backup your data using ReadyNAS connected to the LAN PORT of the R8000

That is why you can NOT use the ReadyShare Vault for your ReadyNAS unit. You can use the built in backup job options on your ReadyNAS unit. Check this KB for OS 6 ReadyNAS. 

Message 5 of 12
nukecity
Aspirant

I found the same problem. From my PC, I could not run the ReadySHAE Vault ("No ReadySHARE device detected") or the from the NETGEAR Genie ("Please connect a USB device"). But it worked fine on my iPhone.

I was able to make the PC worked if I logged in to the PC with the Local Administrator (instead of my usual login ID). Then, the device was detected. I can find no setting in the router's configuration where I can change or add a login ID / password. I think this is a shortcoming with NETGEAR.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 6 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi nukecity,

There might be restriction on your user login profile when it comes to network sharing. You might need to check it since it works when using the Administrator account.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 7 of 12
nukecity
Aspirant

My user login has Administrator privileges, and the password is the same as the router and the Local Administrator profile. The Netgear apps have no function that allows me to store a User ID (only Admin is allowed). Other routers I have used in the past allowed me to create multiple User IDs. Since I can see the USB drives in Windows File Explorer with my normal profile, I don't think there's any login profile restrictions regarding network sharing. What does the router use to recognize the user?
Message 8 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi nukecity,

What is the model number of the drive connected to the router? Are you using a ReadyNAS?

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 9 of 12
nukecity
Aspirant

No, I'm not using a ReadyNAS. I just have a HD connected to each of the USB ports in the N8000 router. So, from my PC, I log in with my normal account (with Admin privileges). I can see the drives in File explorer, but not with the Netgear app ReadySHARE. But if I log in as Administrator, then I can see the hard drives. My iPhone has no issues seeing the hard drives.
Message 10 of 12
nukecity
Aspirant

To clarify, when I log in as Admonitrator on my PC, I can see the hard drives using the ReadySHARE app.
Message 11 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi nukecity,

I just want to verify, when you say Admin account, is it the the administrator account of your computer or is it the admin of the router? If it is the admin account of your computer, this means that the user account that you were using has limited rights on accessing network folders.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E