Re: Ring.com Doorbell Video Not working

Mfrank45
Tutor

So, nothing is working at all? No audio. No notification when you ring the bell.? At least mine was working fully when hooked on cell. Now the video is not working on cell eather. Still have voice and can hear. 

Message 51 of 101
lynnl
Aspirant

No, I am getting the phone notification and the level 1 tech said they could see the video perfectly.  I know the video works because it's recording, and after you "hang up" you can see the video.

The problem I'm having is the "black video" issue on the live call.  So the doorbell is definitely on the wifi network, but I can't see it in the device table.

Message 52 of 101
lynnl
Aspirant

So just an update.  Tl;dr: Returning the Ring.

Had my L2 support call.  We tried opening a whole rang of ports, DMZ, and turning NAT filtering off.  None of it worked.  The tech basically admitted that the Ring just doesn't work with the R7000.  Something is blocking the video from coming through. 

Already tried and returned a Skybell due to the video also not showing up.  So I'm done with smart doorbells for now.

Message 53 of 101
Mfrank45
Tutor

That really sucks. I still like it as I like getting the notice that someone is at my door. And it works fine. If I am away on cell service.  I thought my problem would be solved since Google Fiber is coming  in here. However, ha ving seconds thoughts and seems like google fiber is not all its cracked up to be.

Their 1 gb service on gets about 300mb on wifi.  I can get that on cable.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 54 of 101
Mfrank45
Tutor

Re: Ring.com Doorbell Video Not working UPDATE 2017

In the never ending saga of the Ring/Netgear . Here is what has happened. Ring sent me another Ring to try and of course, it made no difference.

A few days ago Netgear Engineering sent me a Debugging Firmware update to load into my Router.

Then I had to activat the recording feature of the debug program and then tried to execute the video on the Ring Door bell. After, I sent a logfile of the secession to the Engineers.

Now I am waiting to see if they can figure anything out with that new info.

Will update all interested when I hear back from them.  

Message 55 of 101
lynnl
Aspirant

Thanks for pursuing this.  They're sending me a new one too (after I left an Amazon review about the issue), but I can't see the outcome being different than last time.

Message 56 of 101
Liperty
Guide

Interested in your results - I recently sent back the Ring Pro I bought.. and the replacement that was sent from the US...  Just don't want to be constantly debugging a doorbell...

-=Lip

Message 57 of 101
Chrizvi
Aspirant

I am having exactly the same issue as you guys. Live view will work for 2 days then blank after that. I am based in AU with Telstra internet using their Netgear Telstra router.. it seems to be issue with netgear devices..
the modem I got is Netgear C6300BD (provided by Telstra AU). my modem has builtin wifi and like 2 meters away now with ring pro but still having issue. my resolution atm is to reboot the modem every 2 days which is a pain..
Any update on the netgear troublebshooting from their engineer?
btw, to make it worst, I am using netgear R7000 as my access point as well.. wahhh..
Message 58 of 101
Mfrank45
Tutor

Your problem is a little different.

I never get the live video when I am connected to local wifi. On cell connection , I get live video about half the time. I get the notifications all the and the audio works all the time. I am still waiting for Netgear engeneers to let me know what , if anything, they discovered with the captured file I sent them while trying to execute the live video.

Message 59 of 101
pitmancd
Aspirant

I have a new Ring Video Doorbell Pro, couldn't get it to work, similar problems listed here, even though I have an ASUS router.  I hope this info helps someone else as I got my issues resolved simply by turning off NAT acceleration, also referred to as hardware acceleration, CTF (Cut-Through Forwarding), or FA (Flow Accelerator).

You can read more about this "feature" here:

https://routerguide.net/nat-acceleration-on-or-off/

For ASUS routers, go here in the router's settings:  LAN -> Switch Control -> NAT Acceleratinon -> Disable.

BTW, things that I tried that didn't make a difference inlcude:  enabling WAN ping, setting the doorbell to a static IP, setting the doobell's static IP as the DMZ, disabling the firewall completely, port forwarding all ports as suggested by Ring tech support.

Message 60 of 101
Mfrank45
Tutor

LIKE they say,  " been there, done that" all to no avail. Just got off the phone again with Ring support... uninstalling and installing the app and the Ring Pro.. nothing. 

At least, befoere, I could cut off my local wife on iphone and see the live video over the phone service. That is not even working now. 

Time to back up and punt.

Message 61 of 101
Chrizvi
Aspirant

I'll give this a shot. Thanks for sharing! I'll update soon for the feedback.
Message 62 of 101
pitmancd
Aspirant

If you talk to Ring, make sure you ask for level 2 tech support.  They are the ones who told me to turn off NAT Acceleration on my ASUS.  Everything's been working great since then (this afternoon) - clear video, live video, recording, motion, etc.!

Message 63 of 101
Chrizvi
Aspirant

Can you let me know your internet speed? Down/up and where are you based from? Just like to see the difference as well. Im based in AU and got 115/2.5
Message 64 of 101
pitmancd
Aspirant

I'm in the US (Texas).  My speeds are around 50/5.  I was told by Ring tech support you need around 2 for up.  But also according to tech support, even if you don't quite have the upload speed, things should still work but the video will just be "choppy".  So once you get things configured right, you should at least be getting something.  You'll defintely know when that happens.  It was night and day for me once I got things configured correctly.

I don't know why things have to be so complicated with Ring and the router settings!  Just FYI, I had previously tried to use a Skybell HD doorbell and could never get it to work.  I'm guessing it also had something to do with my ASUS router, and maybe the same setting.  And BTW, I installed a Ring "classic" for a friend who has an AT&T U-Verse router, and it just worked right out of the box, no issues whatsoever.  My guess is that the AT&T Westell modem/router is what made the difference.  I'm sure Ring (and competitors) test extensively with the major ISP's equipment.

Good luck to everyone!

Message 65 of 101
Chrizvi
Aspirant

Thanks man! Hopefully this is it. Btw my temp resolution is to reboot my modem every 12 hrs using timer and that would work. It's a pain process but hopefully this is the one.
Message 66 of 101
pitmancd
Aspirant

You're welcome!  One last thing, if you have a Windows 10 PC, download the Win 10 app if you haven't already done so.  It might help you with troubleshooting.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/ring-video-doorbell/9nblggh1qwd4

Message 67 of 101
lynnl
Aspirant

Anyone know what/where the NAT acceleration setting would be on the Nighthawk?

Message 68 of 101
Mfrank45
Tutor

Advanced setup

setup

wan setup

Message 69 of 101
lynnl
Aspirant

If anyone with a Netgear has found this works, please advise!

Message 70 of 101
Chrizvi
Aspirant

Just tried to check my r7000 with tomato firmware and by default it is disabled. So still stuck on my issue where it works for about 12 hrs then liveview would stop. Note that My internet in AU is with Telstra HFC. My modem is a netgear and router is netgear r7000. My temp resolution for now is to reboot my modem and doesnt need to reboot my router. So something with my netgear router that gets stuck on something.
Hopefully new firmware update can happen on either ring pro or my modem soon.
Message 71 of 101
Mfrank45
Tutor

Well at least your getting it to work sometimes. I have never got live video working on my netgear.

by the way, i got another email from netgear year yesterday asking all kinds of obtuse questions.

Message 72 of 101
wingate
Aspirant

I solved mine

What I done.

I start w/  my dsl modem/router which is connected  to netgear router

1.Power off "ring pro"

2. Cange port of remote GUI option  in "my centurylink modem/router "  to 444 instead of default 443

because "ring pro use same 443 port

3 Using Port fowarding option from centurylink modem/router ( not netgear router)

TCP 80

TCP 443

TCP & UDP 15063

UDP range between 16500-32768

UDP 51504/51506

I choose "Lan IP "  to my netgear router( 192.168.0.X)

Power on"ring pro"

Next
Netgear router

go to "advanced setup" port forwarding" add custom service

add

TCP 80

TCP 443

TCP & UDP 15063

UDP range between 16500-32768

UDP 51504/51506

follow their instructions

attatch device is should be " ring pro" ,choose ring pro IP

If "ring pro" ip changes,reserve ring pro ip from advanced  setup

Power off/on ...modem/router

Power off/on...netgear router ( mine is  R8000)

no device offliine ,no black screen

Now ,I enjoy Live view & all motion,notification

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 73 of 101
Mfrank45
Tutor

Well, younreally got me excited there... for a while. However, I have a ARRIS SB6183 MODEM, SO you instruction dont help me, and i am not smart enough to translate it.

Message 74 of 101
Mfrank45
Tutor

This Ring is about to drive me nuts. I added some of the services and still didnotmhave live video while on wifi. I cut off wifi and relied on cell service and i could get live video. However, i went to try to ring the bell to see if the live video would come on and THE DAMN BELL WOULD NOT WORK! Reimstalled the door bell and now the bell works, but no live video again while on cell service. 

Somebody help....PLEASE!

now.  Give me a chance to clean up all my hair from the floor.

Message 75 of 101
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements