Re: Router crashes several times a day

nwstehle
Aspirant

Router crashes several times a day

The router (purchsased in November) was fine for about 2-3 months.   Then we have had to frequently re-boot and it has been much worse than the previous router (over 5 years old).   This situation began before the pandemic hit us and internet using increased.     The ISP is Spectrum.   Working with them, it seems the issue is allowing the internet connection to pass from the cable modem (Motorola, purchased in November as well)) through the router.    Connecting to the router's WiFi works great.       One of singificant the issues was a teenager's use of Discord voice chat over the network.   That has stopped but the the problem has not been eliminated,  and while re-starting every so often is to be expected, certainly not twice a day or more (up to 3-4 or more).      Having a stable internet connection is important for being able to work from home, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.    

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 13
Rhyalus
Apprentice

Discord should not have been the problem with the router.

Do you know if your router was set to upgrade the firmware automatically?  It is odd that the router was fine up to a certain point.  Your best bet is to check your firmware and then either a) upgrade to the latest and see if there is an improvement, or b) downgrade to whatever you were using before (assuming you can determine what that was).

Unfortunately, a lot of people are having issues with these Netgear routers.  I have the 7000 and everything was great on the old firmware.  But now things are no longer stable since I upgraded due to know security flaws.  I am taking this oppotunity to upgrade to a wifi6 router.  And I decided to go with Asus and not Netgear....  the new unit arrives on Wednesday.

R

Message 2 of 13
spcrick
Apprentice

Upgrade to the latest hotfix fw.. seems pretty good for me for the past 48hrs
Message 3 of 13
nwstehle
Aspirant

Thanks!   Not sure if it was set up automatically but do not think it is.  Generally update firmware as needed.    Try to wait to make sure the update is stable most of the time.   Hard to know though.

The firmware is current.   

It was fine initally, then became worse.   Thought it was use of Discord voice chat on a PC (eliminated its use) and things were better.   Now we are back where we were 2 months ago.   The frequent re-booting has been necessary about 4 weeks.   Maybe the Dicsord use was just coincidental.   Not able to keep a log of outages and usage patterns.   That said, it happens later at night when most of the house is off the network (or should be) so it does not seem to be any one thing.  

Would hate to have to drop money on another router but will if Netgear cannot get its house in order.   

Message 4 of 13
spcrick
Apprentice

When you say the fw is current.. are you on 11.100 or 11.104 ? 11.104 is a beta and it was a hotfix to address a vulnerability some of the netgear routers had. You may need to go to netgears website to download and install it because if you check for updates on the router itself.. i think it only shows up to 9.88 as latest.
Message 5 of 13
nwstehle
Aspirant

Firmware version is V1.0.11.100_10.2.100.

Message 6 of 13
spcrick
Apprentice

Ok so i was using 11.104 for a few days and everything seemed fine for 48 hrs until i was actually working today. Router restarted itself twice today so im reverting back to 9.42. I think its time to find a new router... RIP r7000 sigh
Message 7 of 13
Rhyalus
Apprentice

I am still ok.... been three days....  but I ordered a new wifi6 router, anyway.

I have been doing a lot of work, so far so good.

R

Message 8 of 13
spcrick
Apprentice

Which WiFi 6 router did you purchase?  I have a hard time deciding which one to get.  I forgot when I upgraded the fw.. could've been more than 48 hours.. not sure why it was working well and then rebooted twice today so far.. worst part was it happened when i had to join a conference call.  

Message 9 of 13
Rhyalus
Apprentice

I should receive the Asus RT AX88U by tomorrow.  It was between this and the TPLink AX6000 but the reviews I read were better for the Asus.

I'll report back on my thoughts.  Elsewhere in the forum I have posted my plan to use the R7000 as a bridge for some devices in my living room, and possibly use it for 2.4GHz devices.

R

Message 10 of 13
nwstehle
Aspirant

Interesting.   The Asus router is over a year old.   Wish I had known about WiFi 6 about seven months ago.   The purchase was of an urgent nature though.

Did not see this one come up in searching for good routers.   Did see the other one though.

Would like to be able to hold off until WiFi 6e comes out.   Supposedly early next year.

Still awaiting a response from Netgear.    This doorstop is not even a year old.

Message 11 of 13
Rhyalus
Apprentice

Wifi6e is based on 6GHz, so I expect the range will be shorter...  add in the fact that you also need wifi6e clients to make use of it, and it doesn't seem worth the wait at this point.

Out of 20 devices in my home, only three or four can even handle wifi6....

BTW, now that I have ordered the new router, my R7000 is rock stable (.104).  I upgraded the firmware from 100 to 104 without doing a factory reset.  🙂

R

Message 12 of 13
spcrick
Apprentice

After 2-3 days of being stable, the router restarted on me twice in the afternoon.  Me and my wife were in the middle of working so I decided to revert it back to 1.0.9.42 for the time being. At night time, I decided to give it a try once more so i reset the router.. then upgraded to 104 and reset it once more.  It worked for an  hour before i decided to finally go back to 1.0.9.42 for good again sigh.  So far that is still the most stable version for me.

Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E