Slow WIFI Speed

coxd
Aspirant

Slow WIFI Speed

I just got 1 GIG internet install.  I'm able to get close to that speed (about 900 Mbs) when plugged into router.  I can't get anywhere close to the speed with wifi.  I'm using 5g and my wifi analyizer is showing good strenght.  Best I've got is 393 download and 588 upload.  What should I do to increase speed or is this the limit for the router?  I'm using a mac book pro for this test.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Re: Slow WIFI Speed

@coxd wrote:

I'm able to get close to that speed (about 900 Mbs) when plugged into router.  I can't get anywhere close to the speed with wifi. 

In the real world, rather than a laboratory or marketing department, wifi is never going to be as fast as wired.

The speed you get is down to several factors, not least the performance of the wifi clients, in this case the Mac Book Pro. What are the best speeds that people get with one of those?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 5
coxd
Aspirant

I've read that it should be closer to 800 Mbps.  When I look at my network connection on my mac in the Network Utility is says the link speed is 1.3 Gbit/s, but when I run the speedtest app getting 340 Mbps.

Message 3 of 5

@coxd wrote:

I've read that it should be closer to 800 Mbps.

Where?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 5
coxd
Aspirant

They were able to get 800 here

https://www.custompcreview.com/reviews/testing-apple-macbook-pro-touchbar-wi-fi-3x3-mimo-make-differ...

Do I need to upgrade to a device like the following with MIMO in order to get these speeds?

NETGEAR - Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements