Highlighted
Initiate

Speed Slowed downed after updating R8000 Firmware v1.0.4.28

How did this happeend? after updating to the latest firmware V1.0.4.28 which was just released, I realized that my speed has tremendously slowed down by 60%, I have found that previously some owners of other Netgear router face the same problem

IMy issue is that I have a 1gigabit line and was previously getting consistant speed of over 500mbps - 800mbps and download of more in the previous firmware and after downloading now, it seems I am only getting maximum up to 200mbps. how is this so?

Is anyone facing this issue also? Please help

Regards

Isaac

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6
Highlighted

Re: Speed Slowed downed after updating R8000 Firmware v1.0.4.28

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

This is a nuisance because you then have to reconfigure the device all over again.

You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. But that may just bring back the fault. Then again, at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

With gigabit internet check that QoS is turned off. (You don't need it at that speed.)

There is support for the R8000, including a manual, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>>> R8000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<<

If all else fails, roll back to the previous firmware, the one that worked. There are other reports of doom and gloom with the R8000.

Search - NETGEAR Communities R8000

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 6
Highlighted
Initiate

Hi Michael, I've yet to reset to factory worrying that there will be more complication. It's gonna be Xmas soon but will try resetting it and let you know what happens after.

Thanks for the reply and Merry Xmas to you.
Message 3 of 6
Highlighted
Master

@michaelkenward

From your post "There are other reports of doom and gloom with the R8000"

Now who is being negative?  Smiley Wink

Soapbox on;

After literally years Netgear still has not gotten the R8000 firmware to a good state without major problems. I suspect the issues lie both with Netgear and Broadcomm the chip manufacturer who insists on venders, Netgear in this case, use binary blobs of code rather then giving them the source. Also charge for licensing of the code. If I were Netgear and getting poor code from my vendor that I was paying money to I would be pushing hard for fixes. 

Soapbox off:

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 4 of 6
Highlighted
Master

@myersw wrote:

Soapbox on;

After literally years Netgear still has not gotten the R8000 firmware to a good state without major problems. I suspect the issues lie both with Netgear and Broadcomm the chip manufacturer who insists on venders, Netgear in this case, use binary blobs of code rather then giving them the source. Also charge for licensing of the code. If I were Netgear and getting poor code from my vendor that I was paying money to I would be pushing hard for fixes. 

Soapbox off:

Uhh, how do you know that NG doesn't have the BroadComm source? Even if they don't, do you know if NG has the most recent Binary or not?

Now in the first case, IF NG did have the source, they'd be fools to mess with some code they don't know or understand. It is more likely that NG has a Binary and a set of API's to call the code with. So would other users of that binary. If they all had the same binary then they'd ALL have the same problem.

NG is in a bind as are others if BroadComm refuses or is slow to release a fix, however I'd expect if many had the same problem an emergency binary would exist. All NG would need do then is rebuild the firmware and release it.

Since I've not seen a lot of similar problems reported (yes, ALL NG BroadComm products would most likely include the same code) even with the 3rd party firmware, then it is probably safe to exclude that binary as the problem.

For all any of us know it could even be a h/w design problem, but then the question is WHY doesn't everyone have the problems? Even does a LARGE percentage of R8000 users have this problem?

Don't be so quick to blame anyone without proof or supporting data. Routers are complex with many combinations of settings, devices they handle, channels on the SSID's, where located, and even the experience of the users, not to mention the variety of ISP's and speeds. If you think you can test every possible variation and ship without a problem, well, I'd be surprised.

Message 5 of 6
Highlighted

@IrvSp wrote:

NG is in a bind as are others if BroadComm refuses or is slow to release a fix, however I'd expect if many had the same problem an emergency binary would exist. All NG would need do then is rebuild the firmware and release it.

Since I've not seen a lot of similar problems reported (yes, ALL NG BroadComm products would most likely include the same code) even with the 3rd party firmware, then it is probably safe to exclude that binary as the problem.

For confirmation of this concept, check last year's "Chromecast flood", when routers of many brands fell over after Google's Android team unleashed some crummy code on the world.

It took Broadcomm some time to lurch into action before anything got fixed. Only then could Netgear and other makers come up with permanent fixes.

But you do realise that some people here are permanently wired to ignore technical evidence? (Think of them as the local equivalent of the Trumpkin's stand on climate change, or anything else come to that.) When see "Netgear" alongside "R8000" their fingers hit the boilerplate text buttons that  spew out useless, and ill-informed, guff that helps no one.

This stuff is complicated. Any simple explanation is almost certainly wrong.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements