Highlighted
Follower

Time Machine and DLNA from one USB Drive?

I'm considering the R7000, something that was unclear from reading the manual was if I could support Time Machine backups and DLNA / media sharing from one USB drive.

Obviously performance of the drive might be an issue, but I'd really like to know if this is possible (the Asus RT-AC68U appears to support both at the same time, but doesn't look quite so good).
Message 1 of 3
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: Time Machine and DLNA from one USB Drive?

Standard8 wrote:
I'm considering the R7000, something that was unclear from reading the manual was if I could support Time Machine backups and DLNA / media sharing from one USB drive. ... .

Our WNDR3700 was hooked to a (USB2) HD with Media, Data, etc. in 4 separate partitions - DLNA worked on the media, file transfers worked on all. Did not try TM then.

Don't know yet about the R7000, but hoping to use TM + DLNA with multiple partitions,
Message 2 of 3
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: Time Machine and DLNA from one USB Drive?

Today I got the DLNA server and the iTunes server working
- can select and play music on iPad and on iPodTouch, using Apple's Remote app
- noticed that AirPlay from these devices can send to multiple speakers (we're using Airport Expresses), whereas Apple's Music app can only send to one at a time
- but, not getting the album graphics like in iTunes
- both devices get the same music as last selected by either one
Also can select the R700 as a shared iTunes library in the MacMini in another room

Now, setting up TimeMachine for the iMac (wired to the R7000) - using a separate partition on the WD MyBook 3TB (Mac) - transfer speed seems fair, peaking to about 50MB/s

Beginning to like this router!
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements