Re: Updated Firmware on R7800 now ReadyShare drive not shared with Plex

MontyTheLab2
Guide

Updated Firmware on R7800 now ReadyShare drive not shared with Plex

Everytime I touch this router it ruins my day.

I unfortunately decided to update the firmware because I haven't done it in forever. Now my media is not sharing with my shield device properly.  

1) how can I tell what firmware I had installed on the router before the update?

I suppose if I can figure that out, I can figure out how to re-install that firmware.

on a side note, the parental controls STILL do not work & they never did. (that REALLY still makes me angry)

Thanks if you can lend a hand since Netgear support always refused to help me. 

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 18
IrvSp
Master

@MontyTheLab2 wrote:

1) how can I tell what firmware I had installed on the router before the update?

I suppose if I can figure that out, I can figure out how to re-install that firmware.

Thanks if you can lend a hand since Netgear support always refused to help me. 

Out of Warranty Support I guess?

As for backleveling the firmware, really easy.

1.  Go to the Support Page
  2. Enter your model number
  3. Select Downloads
  4. You'll see a list and at the bottom prior version button
  5. Locate one you are interested in and D/L it.
  6. It will be a ZIP file, unzip it to a location you remember, should contain a README and a .CHK file
  7. Open Genie on a brower and log in.
  8. Go to ADVANCED, ADMINISTRATION, ROUTER UPDATE.
  9. Use BROWSE button to locate the .CHK file and OPEN it
  10. Ignore the message that says the F/W is older and proceed.
  11. Done
Message 2 of 18
MontyTheLab2
Guide

thx...will read your post...I was out of warranty from day 1...Bought new open box from amazon.  That screwed me out of support.  Also spent 100 hours trying to get parental controls set up years ago to no avail....Now firmware screwed me over by messing up my readshare drive.  What does this all mean?...

I WILL NEVER TOUCH another Netgear product since they can seem to deliver what they sell.  

...but thank you for your help. Smiley Happy 

Message 3 of 18
IrvSp
Master

@MontyTheLab2 wrote:

thx...will read your post...I was out of warranty from day 1...Bought new open box from amazon.  That screwed me out of support.  Also spent 100 hours trying to get parental controls set up years ago to no avail....Now firmware screwed me over by messing up my readshare drive.  What does this all mean?...

I WILL NEVER TOUCH another Netgear product since they can seem to deliver what they sell.  

...but thank you for your help. Smiley Happy 

I feel for you... I bought my R8000 from Amazon as well but I opted for the SUPPORT plan...  4 years for $5.38...  it is questionable if it covered firmware problems, but for that price, I got it, if nothing else 4 year protection from a h/w failure.

Message 4 of 18
MontyTheLab2
Guide

still not able to see the readyshare drive in plex anymore...this is SOOOOO irritating. 

Message 5 of 18
MontyTheLab2
Guide

There are MANY people that have this issue...how on earth can this not be fixed by now?

Message 6 of 18
avtella
Prodigy

Try factory resetting and reentering changes after certain major firmware changes old data can at times cause issues of various kinds regardless of OS.

For parental controls did you follow these instructions and enable OpenDNS?
https://kb.netgear.com/25687/How-do-I-configure-Live-Parental-Controls-on-my-NETGEAR-router
Message 7 of 18
KristinaS
Apprentice

@MontyTheLab2 wrote:

still not able to see the readyshare drive in plex anymore...this is SOOOOO irritating. 

funnily. the same advice as
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/connectivity-issues-since-new-firmware-1-0-4...
use voxels fw for x4s. it is the same as a ng stock but all ng bugs are fixed. the link is
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-53sf-1-0-2-53sf-kf-updated...
no issues. rock solid. flush above your stock. setting are kept.

Message 8 of 18
MontyTheLab2
Guide

Thanks ...I was just about to try that.  Should I go ahead and do the 30-30-30 reset?

Message 9 of 18
MontyTheLab2
Guide

and in regards to Parental Controls, I continually had (and it didn't work today either) issues with OpenDNS interacting with the Netgear stuff...not logging in etc.  I had hoped it would work with the new firmware as opposed to what I had a couple of years ago

Message 10 of 18
MontyTheLab2
Guide

thank you...will try it! 

@KristinaS wrote:

@MontyTheLab2 wrote:

funnily. the same advice as
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/connectivity-issues-since-new-firmware-1-0-4...
use voxels fw for x4s. it is the same as a ng stock but all ng bugs are fixed. the link is
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-53sf-1-0-2-53sf-kf-updated...
no issues. rock solid. flush above your stock. setting are kept.

Message 11 of 18
MontyTheLab2
Guide

No luck with mod firmware.  (Did factory reset 1st)...then did 30 30 30 reset and installed latest normal firmware...no luck.  played around with Windows Credentials...no luck....turned SMB1 windows options all on and all off...both ways no luck.  I cannot access these STUPID readyshare drives.  This is ridiculous. No end user should EVER be put though this.

Message 12 of 18
avtella
Prodigy

Yeah 30-30-30 is no longer a thing. To reset just press the reset pin for a few seconds for future refrence.
Message 13 of 18
IrvSp
Master

@avtella wrote:
Yeah 30-30-30 is no longer a thing. To reset just press the reset pin for a few seconds for future refrence.

@avtella, this new news, at least to me, where is the documented?

Message 14 of 18
IrvSp
Master

@MontyTheLab2 wrote:

No luck with mod firmware.  (Did factory reset 1st)...then did 30 30 30 reset and installed latest normal firmware...no luck.  played around with Windows Credentials...no luck....turned SMB1 windows options all on and all off...both ways no luck.  I cannot access these STUPID readyshare drives.  This is ridiculous. No end user should EVER be put though this.

@MontyTheLab2, I'm sure you are having problems, but can you give some details?

What are the troubleshooting steps you took, what were the results, and what did you see or get as an error? "no luck" doesn't help understand what had happened?

Windows Credentials usually will be used to allow access and not require UID and P/W before connecting... were you getting prompts for those?

Message 15 of 18
avtella
Prodigy

Of course you can do it if you want but it’s not necessary. If UI works a simple restore to default via admin settings or reset via pin for a few seconds is much faster. Apparently 30-30-30 can in certain models be detrimental and on certain brands/models it’s useless.

DD-WRT, RMerlin (the Asus Merlin firmware dev) and some OpenWRT devs have also spoken of this.

DD-WRT
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Hard_reset_or_30/30/30

SNB Forums - Rmerlin’s post is midway down and even at Thiggins the reviewer seems to se it as more of an urban myth:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/30-30-30-resets-voodoo-or-real.26534/
He says on some models it can actually causes issues.

The 7800 troubleshooting simply says to use the pin reset for a few seconds till it blinks amber and that’s pretty much what I would use, if GUI method via admin settings was not available.
https://kb.netgear.com/30180/R7800-FAQs

I myself have not used this in over 4 years having tested various models for Netgear and going back and forth between OpenWRT/DD-WRT and stock on various routers. Last time I did a 30-30-30 was on a WNDR3700v2 and WNDR3800 in 2014.
Message 16 of 18
IrvSp
Master

@avtella, the 7800 reference says this, "for over five seconds until the Power LED blinks amber.".... and holding it longer probably wouldn't matter.

The other one with 'damage', speculative at best. " Using this today is a bad idea, as it flat out won't work with certain models, leaving you with a router in recovery mode instead of with a cleared nvram.

Always best to go with the procedure documented by the router manufacturer."

I do know at 'one time' doing the 30-30-30 worked, wiped out ALL settings on my R7000, but later f/w that didn't happen, settings remained. There was a change in the R7000 firmware though that you can do it in Genie via a browser, an ERASE NVRAM button. Never really documented and USELESS if one needs to reset the router due to a problem stopping them from logging into the router. Other changes in the readme as well, and even in setup of the router when NEW. Latest README's do NOT have 2 statements, must use wired connection, and do a reset after installing. My R8000 has a sticker on it telling me to use the NIGHTHAWK tablet/phone app to set it up.

I don't know why NG has not completely documented this or why only on some models.... but anything not on a NG KB or posted here by a Moderator (as a Sticky) I wouldn't reply on as fact.

Message 17 of 18
avtella
Prodigy

Anyway to OP:
1. GUI factory reset if available after firmware upgrade if new issues arise possibly due to old configuration data etc.

2. Pin in reset button till power light blinks amber if option one is not available. Will have the same effect as above.

The one that defiantly has issues with 30-30-30 are some of the Linksys models according to BrainSlayer as apparently it can cause them not to recover at all, I’d assume he’d know as he tests these.
Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements