Using R8000 with EX6200 Extenders

lancorp
Aspirant

Using R8000 with EX6200 Extenders

Is it possible to use EX6200 Extenders with the R8000? We have a long house to cover, and wanted to use EX6200's, but I fear that with the 3 channel feature of the R8000, the EX6200's won't fully extend the network correctly.

Also, I noticed the EX6200's create a new SSID for the "extended network". That's lousy. I want to just have ONE SSID that is extended around the house to connect to. Why are people happy with having to manage multiple connections to their WIFI in their houses? If you are closer to the router than the extender, but can see both, and connect to the EXT SSID, you're getting a lousier signal, right?
Message 1 of 9
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Using R8000 with EX6200 Extenders

Is it possible to use EX6200 Extenders with the R8000? We have a long house to cover, and wanted to use EX6200's, but I fear that with the 3 channel feature of the R8000, the EX6200's won't fully extend the network correctly.

Should work.

Also, I noticed the EX6200's create a new SSID for the "extended network". That's lousy. I want to just have ONE SSID that is extended around the house to connect to.

You can .. GUI may prompt you will alert.

Why are people happy with having to manage multiple connections to their WIFI in their houses?

In consumer line wireless even multiple SSID is same WIFI device can still hang on first SSID locked and may not still hop to other AP as smooth as other high end AP.

If you are closer to the router than the extender, but can see both, and connect to the EXT SSID, you're getting a lousier signal, right?

Why that... EXT SSID is broadcast from the extender so as long as Extender ITSELF is position in the right location the overlap the main router that should work just fine.

I would suggest to read but any devices behind the extender may suffer from other than basic internet access while IP cam or file sharing, forwarding to device silts behind extender

You can read any extender products post and you will find that results.

If you want best performance, run the ethernet cable and place addition AP and not extender. There is no substitute for better performance. You could use power line device to make easier extension and add AP.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

If your house is so big spend a few a $$$ and have a Cat xx cable installed and use a AP. The problem with the dual 5g Radios concept is there are only TWO 5g channels when using 1300 AC so if you are using both R1 and R2 set to 1300 AC you cannot add an AP without causing your own contention for air time. You are better of using 2 r7000 and have the second in AP mode connected via Cat xx cable. The R8000 does nothing to improve distance over a r7000 it just covers the same but with 2 distinct radios on different channels.
Message 3 of 9
lancorp
Aspirant

searay wrote:
You are better of using 2 r7000 and have the second in AP mode connected via Cat xx cable. The R8000 does nothing to improve distance over a r7000 it just covers the same but with 2 distinct radios on different channels.

Thank You to both searay and jmizoguchi. With regards to setting up another (or even 2-3 more) r7000's as wired AP's, would their SSID's be visible (causing multiple WIFI networks with the same name) or show as a single WIFI network?

It's a client/friends house, and he used to use old 802.11b AP's that did just that--showed as only one WIFI network SSID. He currently uses 802.11g AP's but each advertises it's SSID so he will see 2-4 WIFI networks with the same name. He wants to get back to seeing just one (or two in this case, a 2.4 and a 5.0Ghz).

I noticed the R7000 has a wireless repeater function, but it seems to be disabled when configured as an AP. Would a wireless repeater configuration work if wired or does it only work when completely wireless?
Message 4 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

One network/SSID for each band 2.4 & 5g setup exactly the same except for channels. Connect each AP via Cat xx cable from Router LAN Ports to each AP WAN port using AP Mode.
Message 5 of 9
Shadowlore
Guide

To answer your question regarding repeaters working in wired mode... that's entirely dependent upon the repeater/AP/Router. Some devices will mark this as 'Bridge mode', and others will still use repeater mode, and allow wired clients. YMMV based on the model that you're using. I've personally not used the EX6200s, so I'm not sure what setting they require. One other thing to note. Searay mentions running some CAT6.. but if you're leery of installing new wiring, you can always consider some of the home-plug options. It's highly dependent upon how many phases of electricity your home is running (most are single phase, but there are a few exceptions), but you could always throw 1 homeplug near your router, and the other one about 3/4 the way through your house. From there, plug a simple AP into the far end home plug.. and set up your wireless to use the same SSID and key on the router and the wireless AP.. creating a pseudo mesh network within your home. The biggest caveats to this method are the fact that you're not looking at true 'roaming', as your wireless hand-off from one wireless AP to the other kicks in... and you may have a slightly unstable zone if you're exactly midway between both APs, and the signal strengths start to vary a bit. I live in a single story 1800sq ft house, and we've used this method a number of times in the past years (currently experimenting with something else, so it's less needed) with great success.
~ Shadowlore
Message 6 of 9
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Powerline isn't band choice either "if" that works well in environment. I didn't had an issues but throughput was quite irregular throughout the usage
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 7 of 9
Shadowlore
Guide

jmizoguchi wrote:
Powerline isn't band choice either "if" that works well in environment. I didn't had an issues but throughput was quite irregular throughout the usage

Yep.. Powerline/Home-Plug are definitely a YMMV sort of thing.. I've seen some houses where they get dang near max speed.. and others, (where I can only assume the wiring is sub-standard) getting 50-100Mbps.

Only way to tell would be to actually test it out, and see how it handles.
~ Shadowlore
Message 8 of 9
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I seen once day will be close to 80Mbps throughput and will drop to 30Mbps .. Usually seems with LED on unit tells the throughput level.

I don't use it anymore but it is "convenience" 🙂
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos