Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Warranty is a Joke

smegleberry
Tutor

Warranty is a Joke

Having problems with 2.4 band of the router its unusable nothing will connect to it ..Factory reset the item several times Called support all they wanted to do is sell me a warranty as its been over 90 days .. This is a known issue and ive seen alot of complaints about the 2.4 Radio going out ... but all they could do is focus on this 89.00 extended warranty .. WHAT A SCAM anyone else experience the same problem

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
CharlesAJ
Apprentice

Re: Warranty is a Joke

It's not a silly threat. Netgear has removed the firmwares from the server for all NeoTV products. Unfortunately, Netgear also did not allow one to skip the quick setup. So, by doing so, all NeoTVs factory reset are useless. Solution would be for Netgear to put the files back up, but they won't. Then, as many other have tried contacting Netgear because they believe there's a problem with their device, Netgear tries selling them tech support on a device that they've effectively broken. That's just bad all around. It's not like I'm out a lot of money, but the principle of a company rendering devices useless, and then trying to sell them tech support is more than a little ridiculous. That is the level of customer care I've come to expect from Netgear. So, silly threat? No. I'm telling everyone I know to avoid Netgear. Use Linksys. I can chat with tech support for free, or do a phone call for free within the ENTIRE warranty period. Enough people share that sentiment, and Netgear should start caring...

BTW, I came here because I went to the community, and this was at the top. When I saw the post, I could relate. Due to continued comments, it's staying on the top of the community. Think about that.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 13

All Replies

Ringing support puts them into script mode. They are probably on commission and always try this "you have to pay" rubbish. And that is what it is, rubbish. Depending on where you are, the warranty should be at least a year.

First you might like to see if anyone here can help you to fix the problem, perhaps by updating the firmware.

The fellow users who hang about this place sometimes know more than some of the script jockeys on the official support lines.

If you don't get anywhere, invoke the on-line warranty process.

How you do that depends on where you are.

Message 2 of 13
CharlesAJ
Apprentice

Netgear is a junk company it seems, and, due to their support process (90 days of tech support free from date of purchase then $40 per incident, $89 for 6 months, or $140 per year.) I will never purchase a Netgear again. Tell everyone you know about it. Post it on Facebook. I've been posting everyday on the Netgear page about it. One of two things should happen: 1. They fix the underhanded practice and simply support their products. 2. They should lose customers because they find out Netgear's mode-of-operation.

Message 3 of 13
microchip8
Master

In defense of NG, it is impossible for a company to offer free lifelong support for all things it brings out. Companies bring out many products each year and if they have to support all models for eternity, this puts a very heavy burden and huge cost on the support side for the company. When you buy the product, you are entitled for 90 days free support after which the company can choose to charge you for extra. Don't confuse support with warranty (not saying you are) which is something different. It's not just NG that does these things but also other brands do it too... if you do not agree with the practices, you are not forced to buy their product. NG does offer lifelong free support on some of their products, like the ProSafe family of switches

Message 4 of 13

@microchip8 wrote:

In defense of NG, it is impossible for a company to offer free lifelong support for all things it brings out. Companies bring out many products each year and if they have to support all models for eternity, this puts a very heavy burden and huge cost on the support side for the company.

As you say, support for hardware, also software, cannot be lifetime.

However, from what I can tell – hard to say given the rant – it may not be the support that is an issue for this particular complainant, but the fact that when you ring support they try to sell a support contract before they do anything else. Instead they should either send people here or tell people to contact the warranty line, then move on to support contracts if that is appropriate.

I tried to advise on how to go about that in my first response.

This issue has come up here before and the "scripted support" mode seem to annoy some of Netgear's forum team as much as it bothers customers.

With luck, the person who asked the question won't go off on one and start making silly threats to boycott Netgear. (As if it would care.) Instead, try to find the best way to sort out your problems.

Message 5 of 13
CharlesAJ
Apprentice

It's not a silly threat. Netgear has removed the firmwares from the server for all NeoTV products. Unfortunately, Netgear also did not allow one to skip the quick setup. So, by doing so, all NeoTVs factory reset are useless. Solution would be for Netgear to put the files back up, but they won't. Then, as many other have tried contacting Netgear because they believe there's a problem with their device, Netgear tries selling them tech support on a device that they've effectively broken. That's just bad all around. It's not like I'm out a lot of money, but the principle of a company rendering devices useless, and then trying to sell them tech support is more than a little ridiculous. That is the level of customer care I've come to expect from Netgear. So, silly threat? No. I'm telling everyone I know to avoid Netgear. Use Linksys. I can chat with tech support for free, or do a phone call for free within the ENTIRE warranty period. Enough people share that sentiment, and Netgear should start caring...

BTW, I came here because I went to the community, and this was at the top. When I saw the post, I could relate. Due to continued comments, it's staying on the top of the community. Think about that.

Message 6 of 13
smegleberry
Tutor

Just checked out the Linksys EA9500 Max-Stream AC5400 Tri-Band and they have a 3 year warranty including support.and alot of great reviews going to go buy one of these . Tired of dealing with netgear and there support staff ..paying for a warranty when it still under warranty is totally unacceptable . 

Message 7 of 13

@smegleberry wrote:

..paying for a warranty when it still under warranty is totally unacceptable . 

You don't. That's not how it works.

Message 8 of 13
microchip8
Master

not saying it's a bad product, but you'd be lucky to get a single firmware updated in a year. Linksys is known to drag its feet for a long time,and it got worse after they got aquired by Belkin. Firmware is also very basic on the recent models

Message 9 of 13
smegleberry
Tutor

Took your advive purchased a linksys router there top of the line tri band router ... All my devices are back up and running 

Thank you Sir 

As far as Netgear if they would of taken five minutes and logged onto my network to see what was going on and confirmed it was a hardware issue or not .. They would of had a happy customer ... instead they insisted on trying to sell me some B.S warranty.. and lost a customer ..  I dont think they are very interested in customer satisfaction 

Message 10 of 13
CharlesAJ
Apprentice

With luck, the person who asked the question won't go off on one and start making silly threats to boycott Netgear. (As if it would care.) Instead, try to find the best way to sort out your problems.

As it turns out, Netgear cares. Not enough to fix the problem but to block me from their Facebook. Good ol' Netgear. 😉

Message 11 of 13
NEALW
Initiate

I agree with your comments! The Netgear 90 day warranty is a joke, my 1 week old ORBI stopped functioning,even the ethernet ports and I could not do a factory reset. After 3hrs on the phone with tech support I was issued a RMA#, shipped the product only to told the warranty is void because the unit was not purchased from a authorized vendor. I've never hear of such bull and this is the last netgear product I will ever purchase. What difference does it make who it is purchased from it is still a Netgear product manufactured within the 90 day window.

Message 12 of 13

@NEALW wrote:

I agree with your comments! The Netgear 90 day warranty is a joke...

Just a small correction. There is no 90-day warranty.

You may be confusing it with the 90-day free support. That is certainly a joke, as is the outrageous strong arm tactic when Netgear tries to sell you an annual support contract that can cost more than your hardware.

The warranty depends on where you live. It is at least a year. But that is the the USA where consumer protection is rubbish. In Europe buyers have better rights.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 22 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7