Wicked slow out of the box!

BigFuzzyBush
Tutor

Wicked slow out of the box!

So i just opened a brand new X6 out of the box. Updated firmware, Setup wireless names, and connected. 

My wired results are : 94.58 DL / 11.81 UL

My wireless results are : 25.28 DL / 11.71UL on 2GHz network. 

Why am I losing so much bandwith and is there any thing I can change to improve it? I'm willing to box this $250 router up and return it if this is to be the outcome.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 7
netwrks
Master

Re: Wicked slow out of the box!

The first thing you should do when you upgrade the firmware on these routers is reset to factory default then reconfigure.

The real important missing information:

ISP bandwidth - what do you have?

Ethernet cable type between router and modem?

Ethernet cable type within wired client?

Port link speed between modem and router?

Wireless client - what is it?

Wireless channel settings - channel for 2.4ghz? 5ghz? (don't use auto channels).

Message 2 of 7
BigFuzzyBush
Tutor

The real important missing information:

ISP bandwidth - what do you have? "Up to" 150mbs with Cox Smiley Sad

Ethernet cable type between router and modem? Cat5e

Ethernet cable type within wired client? N/A but Cat5e when testing hard wired output from router

Port link speed between modem and router? 

Wireless client - what is it? HP Laptop, iPad, Iphone, Andoid Phone, all capable of excedding the bandwith being allowed.

Wireless channel settings - channel for 2.4ghz? 5ghz? (don't use auto channels).  2.4GHz IS set to "auto"; 5GHz-1 Ch. 44; 5GHz-2 Ch. 153

Reset to factory and reapplied settings this time leaving the 2.4GHz Channel set to Ch. 11. Speeds are still the same across all devices.

Message 3 of 7
BigFuzzyBush
Tutor

Also just called tech support which I knew what they would say because lets be honest, it's text book troubleshooting with them, so she had me start at the modem doing speedtest, then hard lined to the router, then wireless, then change the 2.4GHz wireless channels around and speedtest some more to come to the conclusion that it is a defective router. I just can't help wonder if there isnt a setting or firmware flaw that I am missing. It's a crappy feeling to buy a $250 router, set it up on day 1, and it gets worst speeds than the old school linksys I had before it. Wondering if I should just return it and go for something else because this seems pretty common after researching this issue.

Message 4 of 7
TheWorstPing
Apprentice

i am dealing with the exact same issue my friend. i beleive it is a bug in the firmware that is disabling it to go past 30mbs over any wifi channel (2.4 & 5ghz). sucks that its doing this and hope they can chime in with a solution other then resetting router to default settings (which does not fix this problem) . any wifi device in my house that can run a speed test all reads either 29mbs or 30mbs download when they are right next to the router: when in reality it should be 100 just like the ethernet speeds i am getting. 

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 7
BigFuzzyBush
Tutor

I just said screw it and bought the D-Link AC3200. So when it shows up Tuesday I will box this POS back up and send it back for a refund. Sad state of affiars I tell ya.

Message 6 of 7
TheWorstPing
Apprentice

please report back and let me know how your speeds are when switching to that router

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E