Wired works, wireless does not

carrco
Aspirant

Wired works, wireless does not

I have been using this router fine for 5 months without issue but today while I was using it all of a sudden wireless would not work. I can connect fine and get an ip address but websites either stall continuously or take forever to load. My wired desktop works perfectly for the same sites that are barely working. I tried rebooting my router, hard resetting, downgrading firmware, upgrading firmware. Nothing will fix the wireless connection.

I am trying to figure out if it is some kind of strange hardware issue. I have noticed that in the configuration of the router that in the top left it says that the internet is not connected (even though it works just fine via ethernet). Can anyone offer me any kind of solution, please??
Message 1 of 5
Temporel
Novice

Re: Wired works, wireless does not

carrco wrote:
I have been using this router fine for 5 months without issue but today while I was using it all of a sudden wireless would not work. I can connect fine and get an ip address but websites either stall continuously or take forever to load. My wired desktop works perfectly for the same sites that are barely working. I tried rebooting my router, hard resetting, downgrading firmware, upgrading firmware. Nothing will fix the wireless connection.

I am trying to figure out if it is some kind of strange hardware issue. I have noticed that in the configuration of the router that in the top left it says that the internet is not connected (even though it works just fine via ethernet). Can anyone offer me any kind of solution, please??

Call Netgear support
Message 2 of 5
carrco
Aspirant

I tried calling but they wanted to charge me 100 dollars. I continued to troubleshoot and found out that charter had a mass DNS outage. My desktops had static ips that used an old working DNS server and the laptops kept using dhcp to connect to bad server. Wow. What a headache.
Message 3 of 5
Temporel
Novice

carrco wrote:
I tried calling but they wanted to charge me 100 dollars. I continued to troubleshoot and found out that charter had a mass DNS outage. My desktops had static ips that used an old working DNS server and the laptops kept using dhcp to connect to bad server. Wow. What a headache.

they dont offer free support after 3 months I think but the router is still on Warranty (1 year here). Cant you just return it to your reseller ?

PS: Does anyone know if Asus and Linksys offer the same 3 months only phone support ?
Message 4 of 5
Shadowlore
Guide

carrco wrote:

As a rule of thumb.. I recommend against using Charter's DNS servers. In my experience they're actually quite terrible.

I recommend Google's DNS servers: 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4

optionally, you can also try any other public DNS server.
~ Shadowlore
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements