Re: X4S R7800 Firmware issues ISP IP drops

djphat2000
Luminary

X4S R7800 Firmware issues ISP IP drops

For the past year at least my ISP network will drop.  I will still connect on the WiFi bands (2.4 and 5Ghz).  However, I will lose my ISP network.

I initally tried to just reboot the cable modem (Arris brand from ISP).  That used to work, however.  When I rebooted the router, it wouldn't work. I wouldn't get back my IP address.  Even if I waited for 10 minutes after a reboot.  It wouldn't get a new IP.  Release/Renew didn't work either.  If I disconnected the CAT5e cable on the router that goes to the modem.  And then reconnect, it would get a new IP.  No other way would it receive it.  I'm begining to think that either my firmware is not working well OR my connection/PORT is somehow bad.  This happens at least once a week now on average.  I just did the beta firmware for V1.0.2.63.  And even after a reboot and firmware update.  The IP will not come back from my ISP.

I changed the the CAT5e cable just to make sure that wasn't the issue, but it will still happen about once a week.  Everything looks fine otherwise, but my connection will just drop.  I've read a few similar issues here on the forums but, I'm seeing the issue for several firmwares.  I don't want to go back to far and be unsecure, but I can't deal with this issue anymore either.  This never used to be an issue.  I'd lose a WiFi connection from time to time, but my ISP would never drop like this.  I was starting to blame the ISP before testing as much as I have.  

Is there a stable "solid" firmware that doesn't have any issues?  If so, which version is it?  

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 6
microchip8
Master

Have you tried a factory reset and reconfigure from scratch?

Routing: NETGEAR RAX43 - Firmware: V1.0.11.112 (1 Gbps down, 50 Mbps up)
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 20 TB
Message 2 of 6
djphat2000
Luminary

I have not.  It took some time to configure this the way I want.  Last thing I want to do is reset the whole thing.  

I'm just losing the internet port NIC.  This shouldn't happen.  Firmware updates and reboots haven't helped.  If I have to factory reset it as my only option, I'll need some time to get all that done without affecting everyone in the house. 

Message 3 of 6
djphat2000
Luminary

Ok, so I guess I'm the only person to experience this issue.  

I'm going to do a factory reset, which it looks like I can do from the GUI. I assume it doesn't matter which (button reset or GUI).

If the problem persists after a factory reset.  Then what?

Message 4 of 6
djphat2000
Luminary

So, I replaced my X4S with the RAX80.  Clean setup, just renamed my wifi to the same that it was, and IP'd it as it was before.  Updated firmware, and that's it.  I did not copy the old config or anything else.  

SAME ISSUE.  I drop my internet all the time.

So, I said OK, lets replace this cable modem.  Which was all of a year or so old itself.  I replaced it, got it back up and running.  

SAME ISSUE.  I drop my internet all the time.  At least every other day.  I'm connected to my wifi.  OR I am not really connected.  Some devices like my phone will show connected, but other devices will show no ethernet, or they have red lights indicating they are not online.  

I don't want to switch brands, I have used Netgear for awhile now, and I can't believe going to a whole new router has not solve my issue.  

I have many netgear products, so I don't get it.  What gives?  Does this not happen to other folks?  Is there any known issue with ARRIS modems and Netgear routers?  Something, anything at this point would be helpful.  

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 5 of 6
microchip8
Master

I think this has something to do with the very old tools NETGEAR uses. Their DHCP clients udhcp/dnsmasq are very old versions and may cause such problems.

A last thing you can try is to put a small, unmanaged Gigabit switch between the router and the modem. Sometimes this is known to work for some people

In the end, if I was you, I'll return the RAX80 and go for an ASUS with latest RMerlin firmware (based on stock with RMerlin improvements/bug fixes)

Routing: NETGEAR RAX43 - Firmware: V1.0.11.112 (1 Gbps down, 50 Mbps up)
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 20 TB
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E