Re: certain web sites don't load

ross_h
Novice

certain web sites don't load

firmware version V1.0.1.16_1.0.74

I am at a loss.

Some web sites such as adobe.com, square.com and propay.com are not loading at all. It's a small detail but profile pictures on facebook are not loading.

If I connect directly to the cable modem it works no problem. I have factory reset the router and I still have the same issue on all devices connected to the router, even phones.

any ideas?
Message 1 of 11
TANWare
Star

So you are connected to the Lan port or is it only wireless you have the issue?
Message 2 of 11
ross_h
Novice

both WAN and LAN
Message 3 of 11
TANWare
Star

I mean is your computer on the LAN and or wireless, not the WAN or LAN from the router to modem. The router should have modem to WAN only. Now if the modem is a router in its own right, especially wireless, then there are configurations you to make there as well.
Message 4 of 11
ross_h
Novice

my computer is on the wireless. I have not had this particular problem until yesterday
Message 5 of 11
TANWare
Star

Since you can connect direct to modem you should try using the wired portion of the router. This would show if it is a router or wireless potion of the connection issue.
Message 6 of 11
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

In the router WAN settings you should see an option to change the MAC address that the router provides to the modem. Change between the options ‘Use Default’ and ‘Use Computer MAC Address’, apply the setting, then power-cycle the modem. Since most cable systems link the Public IP to the MAC address of the device connected to the modem, this should effectively result in there being no difference between having the computer connected or having the router connected.
TANWare
Star

So this just started yesterday? I assume this means you have had the R8000 for a while with no issue prior?
Message 8 of 11
giskarded
Novice

TANWare wrote:
So this just started yesterday? I assume this means you have had the R8000 for a while with no issue prior?

In having the same issue.
Only way to get website to load properly is to either reset the router or to release/renew the ip in the router.

This fixes the issue for a few hours then it stops working again.
Message 9 of 11
Cyberdude52
Novice

I was having similar problems....I removed splitter that was in the line and moved the router about 3 feet away from the modem...everything works great now.
Message 10 of 11
e9d1n4
Novice

Another thing to try is changing setting different name servers. Often when some but not all websites load it is because of a problem in resolving the names. There are lots of reasons to choose one name server over another (speed, privacy, reliability and so on). I usually use the Google public name servers at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and they work well for me. It is best to set that at the router, but you can set it on your computer instead if you want the change to affect only one machine.

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E