connecting comcast router to GS724T and GS728TPP with Nighthawk AC3200 (R8000) Help!

xicaque
Aspirant

connecting comcast router to GS724T and GS728TPP with Nighthawk AC3200 (R8000) Help!

I currently have a Comcast router that brings me internet access into the house. I have two managed switches (GS724T and GS728TPP). I want to set all three devices under the 10.x.x.x addressing. I am not keen when it comes to networking rules and protocols. This is where the community comes in. I know I can’t change the IP address on the comcast router’s address. Its address is 10.x.x.x addressing. How should I address my two switches? 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2 as an example? I plan to have 10 addresses static while the rest can be DHCP. Currently the connection is as follows: 728 switch is connected to one of the ports on the 724 while the 724 connects to the comcast router. Help! Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Re: connecting comcast router to GS724T and GS728TPP with Nighthawk AC3200 (R8000) Help!

What is the exact plan? Should the Comcast device used as a router, all three devices can be connected to the Comcast device LAN ports, or in any spoke or hub or chain config (it's Ethernet...), and the R8000 will be run as a wireless access point -> https://kb.netgear.com/24104/How-do-I-change-my-Nighthawk-router-to-AP-mode-after-I-ve-already-run-s...

Message 2 of 8

Re: connecting comcast router to GS724T and GS728TPP with Nighthawk AC3200 (R8000) Help!

@xicaque wrote:

I currently have a Comcast router that brings me internet access into the house.

What is this router? Is it a modem/router?

What sort of Internet service is this? DSL? Cable? Something else?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 8
xicaque
Aspirant

thanks for your answer. the current configuration is that one of the switches is connected to the other switch via a sfp port. Then that switch is connected to the nighthawk ac3200 and the nighthawk to the comacast router. I guess this would be a daisychain? sometimes I get a bit of speed slow down and I am trying to get rid off of that. The ac3200 is also serving as a wireless point for devices that can only connect wirelessly. I hope my explanation makes sense... Is it possible to connect the two switches to act like on or is it better to leave them alone?

Message 4 of 8
xicaque
Aspirant

the comcast is a router/modem but i only use it as a modem to bring the internet in. the service is cable internet.

Message 5 of 8
schumaku
Guru

With the Comcast unit in plain modem mode:

Modem <---- WAN-> R8000 (router mode) <-LAN-> Switches 

Message 6 of 8
xicaque
Aspirant

if i set it to router mode, will the wireless still be active on the R8000? Let me see if I understand your diagram...just connect the switches to the back ports of the R8000 and then plug peripherals to the switches?

Message 7 of 8

@xicaque wrote:

the comcast is a router/modem but i only use it as a modem

Does that mean that you have been into the control interface of the modem/router and configured it to be in modem only (bridge) mode?

Simply turning off the wifi does not disable the router bit.

You don't say what the Comcast device is, so it is hard for anyone to advise on how best to configure it.

By the way, "ac3200" is not a Netgear model number. It is a label that Netgear, and others, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds. There are several AC3200s, but only one R8000, which is the correct model number.

The R8000 should deliver wifi wherever you put it, preferably before the switches, as long as there is a LAN connection and you have not disabled the wifi in the settings or by pressing the on/off switch.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements