Re: i R6220 Nighthawk Speedtest twice what other apps say

dhdinslex
Aspirant

i R6220 Nighthawk Speedtest twice what other apps say

The Nighthawk app speed test results are always 100+ mbps.  I used at least 6 apps to test my internet  speed and get results from 28 to about 60 mbps.  Why the discrepancy between all of the different speed tests ?

Message 1 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

They could all be testing from different servers.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 9
IrvSp
Master

@dhdinslex wrote:

The Nighthawk app speed test results are always 100+ mbps.  I used at least 6 apps to test my internet  speed and get results from 28 to about 60 mbps.  Why the discrepancy between all of the different speed tests ?

Without knowing the Clients you tested on and the SSID or router port they were connected to, this isn't a single answer for you.

If you have a 1GB wired connection using a CAT5 or higher cable AND the Device Network adapter is at least a 100Mbps you should get 100Mbps there. This could also require QoS and Traffic Meter being disabled as well.

Wireless devices, a lot goes into the equation, including the device itself and its network 802.11 speed rating (A,B, G, N, AC), the SSID band it is on, how far from the router, the router band channel, any other routers radiating on that same band and channel and how stong it is, walls and contents of walls between the device and router.

For instance, I have 100Mbps service. I have or had 3 different iPad models, an iPad2, 3, and Pro.

With the iPad2 and 3 on the 2.4Ghz band I could get around 30Mbps, on the 5Ghz band, 60Mbps. The iPad Pro (which is AC capable) I get the full 100Mbps. iPhones are similar. Most have a single antennea, but the later ones might have 2 and AC capability.

Bottom line, without more info, your speeds could be correct.

Message 3 of 9
IrvSp
Master

@dhdinslex wrote:

I used at least 6 apps to test my internet  speed and get results from 28 to about 60 mbps.  Why the discrepancy between all of the different speed tests ?

All on the same device? If so, it is probably the routing along the Internet to get to you.

Some by the way are not that reliable. You ISP probably has a Speed test site, you should be using that one as that is on the ISP's network and doesn't have external Internet possibly caused slowdowns.

If on different devices, open browsers and use www.speedtest.net and compare results. Again, some devices will be maxes out for possible speeds.

Message 4 of 9
dhdinslex
Aspirant

I called Spectrum and they had me connect my desktop directly to the mode,. I did and the speed test result was the same as fr9m the Nighthawk app. The R6220 router is supposed to be able to handle 32 devices on each 2.5 and 5Gl. I have at most 14 which includes my Smart tv, Chromecast , printer , roku, 4 cams and 1 wired desktop. Most other devices are on the 2.5 with a couple on the 5G.
is the speed to the individual devices affected by the number of devices using the router?

iIf so, how can this router possibly handle 32 devices on each channel ?

Thanks for responding to my original question 
Dale 

Message 5 of 9
IrvSp
Master

@dhdinslex wrote:

I called Spectrum and they had me connect my desktop directly to the mode,. I did and the speed test result was the same as fr9m the Nighthawk app.

You never explained where the Nighthawk app test was done on? Wireless I assume, but what device, what SSID, or was a wired PC? I would not expect connecting to the modem to be any different if you were getting full speed from the modem.

@dhdinslex wrote:

The R6220 router is supposed to be able to handle 32 devices on each 2.5 and 5Gl. I have at most 14 which includes my Smart tv, Chromecast , printer , roku, 4 cams and 1 wired desktop. Most other devices are on the 2.5 with a couple on the 5G.
is the speed to the individual devices affected by the number of devices using the router?

iIf so, how can this router possibly handle 32 devices on each channel ?

Number of devices really isn't a question here. That limits the number of connections you can place on the wireless SSID's. In some cases, depending on the number of device active at the same time it can limit apparent speed. However, this is not the or would not be the cause of slow test speeds.

The DEVICES will be the cause OR some setting in the router that causes slow speeds to the wireless devices. I have NOT seen you mention where the tests were performed?

"I used at least 6 apps to test my internet speed and get results from 28 to about 60 mbps."

What devices and on what SSID were these done? What website or app gave these results on each of the 6 tests?

"I have at most 14 which includes my Smart tv, Chromecast , printer , roku, 4 cams and 1 wired desktop. Most other devices are on the 2.5 with a couple on the 5G."

Again, which did the testing and how and on what SSID?

What 802.11 Speeds are the devices? Are you mixing speeds on the SSID's? Wired desktop doesn't count here either, it is connect to a port on the router. Does the wired desktop get full speed? This is an important data point. If it can't, the wireless probably can't either.

Maybe you missed this question, "This could also require QoS and Traffic Meter being disabled as well." as you never answered it? It could have been worded better I guess, are then settings enabled?

Message 6 of 9
dhdinslex
Aspirant

I used several Speed Test from the Apple App Store . I used an iPhone 7+ and an iPad 2, 5th generation.  I did hook my desk top computer directly to the modem and got a speed of about 113 mbps. I just realized I’ve never done a speed test with my desk top hooked to the router ..  I will do that shortly. I can also check the speed on an iPhone 7 and an iPad Air 2.

Thanks again for the helpl.

Dale

Message 7 of 9
dhdinslex
Aspirant

Hi.

i used 5 apps from the App Store on an iPhone 7 and got download speeds of 42.3, 29.27, 28.1, 40.19 and 21.74.  The corresponding upload speeds were 6.06, 1.88, 3.8,  5.66 and 3.19.

I used the same apps on my iPad Air 2 and got download speeds of 28.2, 42.22, 26.6, 22.65 and 29.74.  The corresponding upload speeds were 7.11, 6.81, 54, 4.98 and 3.03.

The speeds from ,my desk top wired to the router were 114.26 and 7.31 on speed test by Ookla and on Windows speed test I got 121.32 and 11.68.

Dale

Message 8 of 9
IrvSp
Master

OK, real numbers, good.

@dhdinslex wrote:

Hi.

i used 5 apps from the App Store on an iPhone 7 and got download speeds of 42.3, 29.27, 28.1, 40.19 and 21.74.  The corresponding upload speeds were 6.06, 1.88, 3.8,  5.66 and 3.19.

I used the same apps on my iPad Air 2 and got download speeds of 28.2, 42.22, 26.6, 22.65 and 29.74.  The corresponding upload speeds were 7.11, 6.81, 54, 4.98 and 3.03.

The speeds from ,my desk top wired to the router were 114.26 and 7.31 on speed test by Ookla and on Windows speed test I got 121.32 and 11.68.

Dale

My ISP is Spectrum too, and for them, the only RELIABLE site to use is https://www.spectrum.com/internet/speedtest-only  as it is on their network. No outside slowdowns would play into that speed test. You ISP might have one as well.

I have 100Mbps Service (Cable) and on the above site I'll get d/l speeds between 114 - 118Mbps. Normal as they always overprovision service.

ALL of my devices I can measure speed on reach that (or I bother to test on, like the FireTV stick and Smart TV as they work fine). All my devices  I've tested on at AC capable. Wireless PC's, iPad Pro's, Android Phones. Not tested, HP wireless Printer, some Iot's, and an Amazon Echo. Everyone of them exceeds 100Mbps.

Now I have to tell you, I had 2 older iPad's, and 2 and 3. Still have the 2 even but it is never used as well as a Kindle that isn't. When I had the 2 and 3 I was LUCKY to reach 30Mbps on the 2 and 50Mbps on the 3. It was the antennea size and placement. The iPad Pro greatly improved that.

On MY iPad Pro I have two Speed test. On is called SpeedSmart. I don't really TRUST it. It reports 97.23 down and 12.82 up. I just tested this RIGHT IN FRONT of my wireless PC. I tested the PC at the above site (which states for best results test wired) and got 117.9 down and 11.8 up. Mind you both the PC and iPad are on the SAME SSID. Another app, Speedtest (by OOKLA) I also use. Results sitting in front of the PC are 118 down and 12 up. No fractions and if one assumes rounding up/down, that agrees with the ISP's test, and one I really trust.

At this point, without any data on the network adapter or 802.11 speed ratings for the devices and SSID (band) on, I'd have to say what you have are normal results?

I suggest you open a BROWSER on all the devices and then go to the link above I posted and test speed using that. I just did that on the iPad Pro and got 116.1 down and 11.8 up. Basically the same as the desktop.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E