× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX1800 Issue Trying to Port Forward Minecraft Server

KyroManiac
Initiate

AX1800 Issue Trying to Port Forward Minecraft Server

I'm quite new with the issues of the networking but I've been doing this for years and have never seen this sort of problem. I'm living with a friend and we wanted a Minecraft server, and over the years I've learned how to access port forwarding on different router models and brands with no issues but this one's got me stumped.

After viewing multiple threads with similar issues and double checking with Netgear support, I have found no luck with the connection issues.

Here's the Netgear support page I followed: https://kb.netgear.com/24290/How-do-I-add-a-custom-port-forwarding-service-on-my-NETGEAR-router

And some of the threads I have read:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Wi-Fi-5-AC-Routers/Minecraft-Server-not-working/td-p/2009...

https://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/support/server-support-and/2216904-minecraft-server-with-dynam...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Wi-Fi-5-AC-Routers/Minecraft-issues-Netgear-Nighthawk-AC1...

My steps for port forwarding are as usual, download all necessary files and edit some adjustments which are labeled here in the server.properties file using my local IPV4 address:

PortForward3.png

Then I enter my model using my username and password, locate the advanced tab, drop down the advanced setup menu and clicked the to Port Forwarding/Port Triggering section to input a custom service:

PortForward1.png

When making the custom service, I enabled the TCP/UDP protocol, set the external port range to 25565 and checked the box to use the same port as an internal port, and set the internal IP address and the one on my device being 192.168.1.34

While running the program via the command prompt as shown below using the server.properties settings shown above, I checked if the port was visible via my public IP address which will also be shown below.

PortForward4.pngPortForward2.png

Double checking via Minecraft, I could see the server was not running via the public IP, but was running using my IPV4 address, however, that means no one else could join but me, meaning I definitely messed something up while Port Forwarding.

Per many suggestions, I enabled exceptions to the port 25565 (Minecraft default port) to both TCP and UDP inbound and outbound as well as allowed an app through firewall for TCP and UDP to no avail.

PortForward5.png

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: AX1800 Issue Trying to Port Forward Minecraft Server

Check your R6700AX -> Internet Connection and compare the IP address shown there is the same you have in this checker with 104.145.x.x? If not, your Internet connection is some carrier grade NAT connection, and not connectable over the IPv4 IP address.

EDIT: 104.145.x.x does not look like a CGN network address, which is typically in the 100.64.0.0 - 100.127.255.255 range. So the problem is elsewhere...

Message 2 of 4
GegRol
Aspirant

Have you been able to fix this issue? I have run into the same exact situation with the same exact router. My friends are not able to join my world, but I've port forwarded, tired turning off my firewall, I've done everything. I still get the "Connection refused"  message when I go to check to see if the port is open. If you find anything out please share. 

Message 3 of 4
KyroManiac
Initiate

Unfortunately, no I have not solved this issue... I literally had to get a new router system for it to work. I have a feeling it was also in part due to the apartment I was staying in. My best advice to you is to possibly set up the server on someone else's PC who has a different router or at least lives separately from you in case apartment ethernet connections are the issue.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7