× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX1800 RAX10 - Constantly disconnecting and slower speeds

ChirpChirp
Follower

AX1800 RAX10 - Constantly disconnecting and slower speeds

After having the same wi-fi router for several years, I recently upgraded to the AX1800 RAX10. It was working very well for the first two months. It is now disconnecting quite a bit and requiring a reboot many times a day.

I spoke with Netgear's customer service and they said I was under a Dos attack. Spectrum suggested to swap out the modem in order to change the IP address. The same problem happened again and I was told to change the network channels. That didn't help.

I thought this problem might have something to do with the expiration of the Armor software so I paid for a subscription. I have seen some improvement, but it's nothing like the first two months of speed and consistency. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. Thank you!

Message 1 of 3
microchip8
Master

Re: AX1800 RAX10 - Constantly disconnecting and slower speeds

Disable DoS protection? You're not missing much since 95% of it is false positives.
Message 2 of 3

Re: AX1800 RAX10 - Constantly disconnecting and slower speeds

@ChirpChirp wrote:

I spoke with Netgear's customer service and they said I was under a Dos attack.

Almost certainly a load of bollards, as we say in Blighty. As @microchip8 says, most, if not all, of those DoS attack reports are fiction.

I chip in only to check that you really did talk to Netgear. The answer you got makes no sense.

Don't plug "Netgear support" into a search engine and expect to get sensible answers. Most hits will be from scammers who want to empty your wallet b y selling you a firewall, or some other magic potion.

Spectrum suggested to swap out the modem in order to change the IP address.

An equally dubious suggestion. They should be able to do that at their end.

A new router won't change the IP address any more than restarting your modem will. (I hope they did not charge you for that duff advice.)

If disabling DoS protection doesn't fix it, disable things like traffic metering.

If the problem persists, tell us more about things at your end.

What firmware version do you have on the RAX10 device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". There may be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people the make and model number of the modem/gateway/ONT that sits between this router and the Internet. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

I ask because a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7