× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Access Denied after update to firmware version v1.1.4.28

moclayen
Guide

Access Denied after update to firmware version v1.1.4.28

I just manually updated to firmware version v1.1.4.28 on my Netgear RAX 43v2 router.  After the update I can access my router through the Netgear app but am unable to get to the UI through the ip web address.  When I try to go through the web address I login and get to a page NETGEAR - Common Account Management  that shows various Netgear products but I receive an access denied error. I've rebooted my modem (Arris SB6190) and my router and cleared my cash but I'm still able to login via the ip address and get the same error message.  I've tried multiple browsers with the same results.  Any suggestions on how to resolve this other than doing a factory reset?

Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
moclayen
Guide

No, only answer seems to be do a factory reset. Seems to be a firmware issue since across multiple router types. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 18

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

(Hoping the Netgear Nighthawk app is similar to the Orbi app....)

The app should display "details" of the router, which include the IP Address of the LAN side of the router.  (I have to scroll down the app page to reach that line.)

While connected to the router LAN, that is the IP address where the web management interface should appear.

It may also appear on the "Settings" app menu item.

We expect this IP address to be 192.168.1.1, but sometimes the router chooses a different IP address.

It would help if you could post a screen shot of the web page that is showing up.

Message 2 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

What was entered into the browser address field?
Message 3 of 18
moclayen
Guide

Used correct IP address shown in app and it takes me to the page with the error message
Message 4 of 18
moclayen
Guide

It is the default IP address for Netgear devices showing up on App
Message 5 of 18
moclayen
Guide

Used correct IP shown in app. It is the default IP for Netgear
Message 6 of 18
jheebs
Initiate

Any HELP on this? 

Message 7 of 18
moclayen
Guide

No, only answer seems to be do a factory reset. Seems to be a firmware issue since across multiple router types. 

Message 8 of 18
1modulator
Guide

I found if  you disconnect the modem  you can login with no internet connection. Then simply go to the support download page and manually update back to 1.1.3.18. I have no idea why this is happening and have tried everything under the sun factory restarting router and modem in different orders to no avail. I cannot login via PC nor app. There is a new feature being added under Advanced, Security called Protection Engine and have tried disabling it but still no workie. I'm running the updated firmware now and just disconnect if management is needed which isn't very often but pisses everyone in the house off ; ) Hope someone realizes what is wrong and they release a hotfix soon. Good Luck

Message 9 of 18
jheebs
Initiate

Well today I had the day off with nothing to do, so I figured I'd waste a couple hours of my life and factory reset this POS and see if it works. Low and behold, I can confirm, a factory reset works. Actually fixes this login problem on the new firmware. Everythings working like before, so far so good. I believe the issue has to do with a new "feature" NG put in this firmware. Under the security tab, there is a new toggle for "Protection Engine", and it is toggled "On" by default. Searched for "Protection Engine" and many OP having issues with this. For now I'm turning it off until a full explanation from NG what it actually is, and what it actually does. So far, firmware has been stable, but only time will tell. So in summary, YES, a factory reset will fix your login issues with the web interface. I know it sucks to do, but it does work...

Message 10 of 18
1modulator
Guide

Well ill be damned. Did the factory reset and setup from scratch and now it works. What good is a backup if you can't use it. My problem was I kept loading in the backup config. So now I can get into management via PC but not the app. Deleted app, restarted phone, installed app and it keeps telling me login timed out, try again or restart your device. Restarted everything including modem to no avail. I have never had this much trouble with a wifi router before.

Message 11 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Maybe make a new back up now? 

Message 12 of 18
moclayen
Guide

Factory reboot allowed me to access router via ip address again. Pain to have to redo all settings. Come on Netgear!
Message 13 of 18
1modulator
Guide

Ok, factory reset and config from scratch got me back into PC management but app still didn't work. Had a thought of doing another factory reset and doing the startup config from the app and bingo, now management via PC and the access anywhere side of the app works but not the local. Why wouldn't I be able to login to my router locally? I can get into it via browser on my Wi-Fi. Super weird.

Message 14 of 18

@1modulator wrote:

What good is a backup if you can't use it.

As an experiment, did you try using your pre-update backup after your did the reset and got back into the router?

If it works, great. If not just reset again. All you have lost is few minutes of your life. But if it works, it could save some people hours of rebuilding their settings.

I ask because have seen several "don't restore the settings" messages, but nothing that suggests that someone has tried it.

Message 15 of 18
kwtstech
Initiate

Apparently after an automatic FW update to v1.1.4.28 the same redirect issue here.  I am remoting into a customer network via their server and cannot access the router since the "upgrade".  Same "https://accounts-qa.netgear.com/error?redirect...." as others.  Spent an hour on the phone with Netgear support and all they could tell me was that "they have not heard of this issue".  That is incorrect because a simple search on the web AND on here clearly shows that this is an ongoing issue that they still have not fixed.  I have seen others reporting that the log cache being full creates it and that too is incorrect (at least partially) and I can verify in several ways.

On 11/2023, I went onsite to setup a new router for a customer as a recommended purchase.  During the setup, the router installed the firmware in question.  Immediately exhibited the listed complaint.  Spent several hours on the phone with support and they did not know how to fix it.  They told me that they were going to look closer at it and contact me....nothing to date (they told me the very same thing this morning).  Yes, the security software is another issue  but turning it off if you are not onsite is moot.  HOWEVER....

As a "temporary fix", the level 2 support assistant sent me a link to the firmware "RAX50v2-V1.1.3.18".  I downgraded the FW and was able to log in normally (via a browser) and then turn both the security software AND the automatic firmware update OFF.  At this point, I am now going to have to go the customer's location and downgrade the FW because I cannot access it via any other means.  Let me add something else here, the "app" will let you access the router as long as you are logged into the site wifi but not via LAN cable.  If this is a so-called "security update" then please tell me how a wifi connection could be deemed a better path than a direction connection?!
I do hope this helps someone out there.  As an IT Professional, I have a lot of NG products in the field.  But if this is a vision into the future, I can no longer send my valued customers down this path.  If you break it, fix it...and hopefully we'll come back.  Ignore us, and we will go away.  Thanks for your time and good luck!

Message 16 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 17 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

We've notified NG about this. It's all in there hands. They'll need to fix it. Nothing else can be done here in the forums.

We can only provide troubleshooting steps and work around solutions to issues found here in the forums. Users can take the information or leave it. Users have options to use the work around or downgrade FW back to last working version. 

Users are encouraged to contact NG support and let them know the problems they are seeing and if the troubleshooting and work around solutions don't work for them. 

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx
https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx
Then clicking on "Get answers about NETGEAR products before I buy" then clicking on "Networking for Home" then "Chat with us".

Ng doesn't publish when there getting ready to release new FW so you'll need to keep and eye on NGs support site or here in the forums and check for new versions. 

Good Luck.

Message 18 of 18
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 31 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7