× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adding Nighthawk to Orbi Satellite?

texaggie1994
Aspirant

Adding Nighthawk to Orbi Satellite?

I have Orbi RBR40 with 3 satellites installed and if works wonderfully, except for inside my metal shop building.  The satellite is mounted on the wall outside of the building, but inside the signal is blocked.  I bought a Nighthawk RAX49 AX6 to "extend" the signal inside the building by running an ethernet cord from outside plugged into the ORBI satellite, and then plugged the other end into the AX6 inside the building.  The internet connection light is always RED.

What can I do to correct this?  I've heard it needs to be "bridged"??  Help Please 

Message 1 of 3
texaggie1994
Aspirant

Re: Adding Nighthawk to Orbi Satellite?

I've bene told I need to turn off the DHCP.

I've been told that I need to rerun the setup wizard and tell the nighthawk to be an AP vs a router.

I've been told to connect the LAN of the satellite to the LAN of the Nighthawk instead of the WAN port.

I've been told a lot and nothing seems to work except for having the Nighthawk run as a new "wifi"

name and password and constantly switch when I walk in and out of the metal building...

frustrating

Message 2 of 3

Re: Adding Nighthawk to Orbi Satellite?

@texaggie1994 wrote:

I have Orbi RBR40 with 3 satellites installed and if works wonderfully, except for inside my metal shop building.  The satellite is mounted on the wall outside of the building, but inside the signal is blocked.  I bought a Nighthawk RAX49 AX6 to "extend" the signal inside the building by running an ethernet cord from outside plugged into the ORBI satellite, and then plugged the other end into the AX6 inside the building.   

You have added a RAX49 router to an Orbi RBR40. Not a good idea.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local problems with addresses on your network. Among other things, the other router can misdirect traffic that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual default IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

In your circumstances, the easiest solution might be to put the second router, the RAX49, into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

But in your case it seems that all you want to do it to spread the wifi and perhaps connect wired devices to the RAX49.

You probably didn't need anything as fancy as the RAX49 but a router in AP mode should work.

You can't expect to have seamless wifi in those circumstances. The RAX49 can't join the Mesh network of your Orbi RBR40. Only another compatible Orbi satellite can do that.

You should be able to create a network that doesn't need you to mess around with different wifi settings. Your wifi clients should be smart enough to recognise that they have moved from Orbi to RAX and make a fresh connection.

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7