× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Apple and Wi-Fi 6E

Romaniuc
Aspirant

Apple and Wi-Fi 6E

After upgrading the RAXE500 firmware to V1.2.13.100_2.0.54 and iOS to 17.2 for the iPhone 15 pro max and iPad Pro 6Gen 12"......
The connectivity issues remain 😞
I deactivated the Smart Connect feature so my devices can join the Wi-Fi network at slower speeds. It is an annoying situation.

I bought the best router 6E Wi-Fi in the market and now I feel that I'm using a very old router 2.4ghz

Netgear should solve this ASAP!!!

AXE11000 WiFi Router (RAXE500) 

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Apple and Wi-Fi 6E

What connectivity issues are you seeing? Please explain? 

What issues are you seeing with Smart Connect enabled and disabled? 

What channel configurations are currently set on the router?

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Does this only happen with Apple devices? 

What other devices are connected to the router?

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Be sure to disable any MAC Address randomizers on phones and pads while at home:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-...

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Message 2 of 8
Romaniuc
Aspirant

When Smart Connect is enabled, the Wi-Fi connection on my Apple devices iPhone 15 Pro and iPad Pro 6Gen 12" having connection dropping. I supposed that something related to the Wi-Fi 6E band.
Disabling the Smart Connect, I'm able to segregate the 3 bands of Wi-Fi and I could select which network my device will connect. Even in this situation, the speed barely crosses 60MB. This only happens in the iPhones 15 Pro and iPad Pro 6Gen. 
I have an Apple Macbook Pro 14 M2 Max (Wi-Fi 6E) and there is no issue. The speeds on the MacBook are faster than 650MB.

Screenshot 2023-12-13 at 12.25.18.png

Screenshot 2023-12-13 at 12.25.57.png

Screenshot 2023-12-13 at 12.27.02.png

Let me know if these infos helps in understanding.
Appreciate.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Since Smart Connect doesn't include 6Ghz nor is 6Ghz with in the main WLAN or combined with 2.4 and 5Ghz network, You can leave SC enabled. 

I'd try a lower channel on 5Ghz, say 40 or 48. Then try channel 149 to 161. Try different channels on 6Ghz. Say lower channels. I've always used 69 and has worked for me but I don't have a iPhone 15. 12 Pro Max and still at iOS16.5.

Be sure to disable any MAC Address randomizers on phones and pads while at home:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-...

I've heard also thru the grape vine that there is known issues with the wifi on iOS17 and Apple and NG seem to be already aware of that. So you may need to wait for next iOS update in hopes to check this. Would be somewhat validated by your Mac Book Pro not having issues when your iPhone is. 

Message 4 of 8
Topology
Virtuoso

@Romaniuc, the recommendations in this article may be of assistance.

P.S.:  This thread may also be of interest.

Message 5 of 8
schumaku
Guru

The crux with 6E is that 6 GHz does mandatory have WPA3 (Personal/SAE or Enterprise) - so using a common WiFi carpet on all three bands is kind of prohibiting, because all your nice toys and printers or popular IoT won't work on WPA3 -or- the smart-a** device makers start to issue warnings in case there are similar or same(?) SSIDs on all three bands, where some are configured for WPA3-(any) and WPA2-(any), even if the SSID has a post-fix like -5g or -6g  8-) 

Message 6 of 8
Topology
Virtuoso

@schumaku, the WPA3 issue does not appear to be an obstacle for having a Smart Connect feature that supports 2.4, 5, and 6GHz bands, as indicated by the fact that Smart Connect on the RS700 router includes all three bands at present.

Message 7 of 8
schumaku
Guru

In my logic and understanding, it's ok and not causing a problem, indeed. Can't talk of what Netgear does designate as Smart Connect (don't have the critical mass of such Consumer routers/APs at hand). However, in the Netgear Insight world, the system does accept such a config, resp. limit any possible impact. Sometimes I see some unexpected delays when the 6 GHz clients return to a network (e.g. from mobile network roaming or from other SSIDs), these client stay a little bit longer with the 2.4 GHz or the 5 GHz network, before being able to change to the much faster 6 GHz one - that's all.  The point is that some mobile device vendors/makers don't agree with such an implementation, and seem to issue warnings.

Have an eye on the "Limited Connectivity" warning for the 6G network @Romaniuc showed a few posts before. 

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7