× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Bridging modem/routers

luber
Tutor

Bridging modem/routers

I have TP Link modem/Router handling home Landline phone input plus it has an input from an nbn box. The RAX200 modem/router is better for straight WIFI but it doesn't handle landline cable receiver..

Can I link the TP to the RAX200 with an ethernet cable to bridge the two routers and get the best of both with landline phone working from the TP plus inet WIFI from the RAX200 as well?  Don't have an nbn splitter.

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Bridging modem/routers

What actual tp-link is it? 

If its truly a modem/router combo device, you can leave it in router mode (disable its wifi) and connect the RAX to it with the RAX in access point mode. That prevents a double nat. 

Message 2 of 6
luber
Tutor

tplink isArcherVR1600v.

The link I thought might be possible would be a short cable between the etherlink sockets on each device.  I had been thinking about a phone socket  to etherlink converter so it could plug direct into the RAX200 but I don't know if it could handle that [whether the phone band is handled by the nbn box or translated by the router to whichever socket can use it]

Lu

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

the RAX has zero modem capability. Versus your tplink had a dsl modem built in. 

So if you're using dsl, you'll need to go 

VR1600V--->RAX200

What I'd do if it was me was leave the VR1600V in router mode and put the RAX200 in access point mode. 

Make sure their wireless are on different channels and use different ssids to prevent interference. then you can have some devices on the tplink and others on the RAX. A bit of load balancing. 

Or you could put the tplink in passthrough/modem only mode and leave the RAX200 in router mode. 
Up to you on which route you go. 

Message 4 of 6

@plemans wrote:

What I'd do if it was me was leave the VR1600V in router mode and put the RAX200 in access point mode. 

Make sure their wireless are on different channels and use different ssids to prevent interference. then you can have some devices on the tplink and others on the RAX. A bit of load balancing. 

Or you could put the tplink in passthrough/modem only mode and leave the RAX200 in router mode. 
Up to you on which route you go. 

When you make the choice between AP (RAX200) and bridge (VR1600V) consider this:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

If the aim is simply to get the modem/router to accept the phone line, if you can work out how to achieve it, bridge mode might be best because the Netgear router is likely to be more versatile.

Message 5 of 6
luber
Tutor

Great, sounds good - I'll play with it [I'm not sure/confident of assigning mouters.  I'm assuming access with PC fin, check & assign some set up section]

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7