× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can Laptop Cooler or AV Cooler Degrade WiFi Signal??

Redtulips7
Luminary

Can Laptop Cooler or AV Cooler Degrade WiFi Signal??

Hi I am always use Laptop Cooler underneath Router to keep it cool!! Today I replaced it with AC Infinity AIRCOM T9 

Amazon.com: AC Infinity AIRCOM T9, Quiet Cooling Fan System 17" Top-Exhaust for Receivers, Amps, DVR...

After some testing I can see my LG G2 TV whichone wirelessly connected to 6Ghz Band, I can see WiFi speed droped from 270/280Mbps to 130/140Mbps but no impact on S23 Ultra using 6Ghz Band .

Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

Re: Can Laptop Cooler or AV Cooler Degrade WiFi Signal??

From the research I've done on that tv, it doesn't have 6ghz. It has Wifi 6 which is 2.4ghz/5ghz. But not 6ghz. the 6ghz standard is included with Wifi 6E

Meaning its connecting to the 5ghz. 

Either way, many things impact 5ghz and 6ghz because they don't pass through materials as well. It could be something as simple as you moved the furniture or the fan cooler is slightly blocking an antenna. Those can cause 5ghz/6ghz speeds to drop as they don't have the penetration power of 2.4ghz. 

Your tv must be a bit aways from the router or have a bit of material between if thats all its getting for a link speed because its got a solid wifi chip in it

Message 2 of 10
Redtulips7
Luminary

According to LG G2 Spec yes it's stated WiFi 6 but TV detecting WiFi 6e Band besides 2.4 and 5 Ghz!!

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

great if it is. Maybe they labeled something wrong on the spec sheet. 

6ghz has less distance/penetration power than even 5ghz does. I don't think the fan should be putting off anything that'd block wifi but it itself might be attenuating the signal 

Message 4 of 10
Redtulips7
Luminary

So I removed the T9 Cooler which actually made by Metal or Aluminum and retest it but results are same! with or without it. LG G2 twenty feets away in a another Room still getting 158/164 Mbps, with Sansung S23 Ultra getting 700 Mbps up and 600 Mbps down from 10 feets away which is not to bad!!!

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

Not to bad. But if signal doesn't change with/without it then it might just be the tv

Message 6 of 10
Razor512
Prodigy

In the vast majority of cases, a router doesn't need additional cooling in in the specified environmental conditions.
Products like these will pretty much all go through a hot box test where they will place the product into a temperature controlled chamber with no active airflow, and run the product at full load at various temperatures.

This is why you will typically see specs like Operating temperature: 0° to 40°C (32º to 104ºF)
90% maximum relative humidity, noncondensing.

The main things that can negatively impact the ratings are if the device is exposed to direct sunlight where the casing can experience like when a car is parked outside on a sunny day. Other impacts can be if the product is mounted or placed in a position or angle in which the passive cooling was not designed for, or if placed on a surface that restricts natural convection for some of the vents, e.g., a router placed on a carpeted floor where the feel of ht product sinks into the carpet a little, and blocking off some of the bottom vents.

While it is hard to get datasheets for newer SOCs and radios, for many older 802.11ac items, it is not uncommon to see them have operating temperature ratings of -40°C to 100°C along with thermal protections where they should do a thermal shutdown, where the overheating part should shutoff until they get powercycled.While just like any device, it is not good for them to run at their max temperature 24/7, they should be fully stable within their temperature ratings.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Great point. However as a proactive measure, running a laptop cooler under any router can help prolong HW life, stave off any HW failure contributed to heat. Heat can degrade or damage electronics or the life of the unit. Keeping additional cooling going is a benefit in most cases. Been running additional cooling on any router I put online for a long time. Also we can't be completely sure if and when the internal fan would trigger if the heat temp was met or exceeded. I'd rather not take a chance on that. 🙄

Message 8 of 10
Razor512
Prodigy

Wanted to also add that it is common for many TVs, including high end ones, to have weaker than expected WiFi signals. This is due to the way they are built. The entire OLED panel (also applied to LCD panels), can be treated as an RF shield since the backing will be metal. Furthermore, with a thin bezel being a major selling point, there is no room to move a WiFi antenna into the bezel like you would see on a laptop, The end result is often a basic PIFA antenna near the middle of the back part of the TV that will likely end up mounted on a wall.

For WiFi router itself, while a metal laptop cooling stand will not block signals unless the client device is in a room directly below where the WiFi router is located. If there is a lot of metal around the router, then it can wreak havoc on the beamforming capabilities of the WiFi radios in it, which can impact the throughput at longer distances.

Edit: Also agreed on the additional cooling, lower temperatures will prolong the life of the product.
For Netgear devices, it seems they monitor the temperature of the SOC as well as each WiFi radio and if any exceed a temperature set in the firmware (unclear which specific temperature they specified), then the cooling fan will turn on.
Aside from that unlike enterprise or rack mount equipment with fans, a consumer focused device with a fan will likely prioritize noise levels over maintaining the lowest possible temperatures.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I know that for some TVs or placement configurations, WiFi may or may not be the greatest feature or option for TVs. If TVs have a ethernet port, might be recommended to use ethernet if the WiFi signal at the TV can't be utilized fully. 

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7