× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can access router thru phone WIFI using Nighthawk app but not from any of our laptops

GKL_SC
Aspirant

Can access router thru phone WIFI using Nighthawk app but not from any of our laptops

Nighthawk AX6 AX5400 6-Stream WiFi Router (RAX50)  

Windows computers and Android phone

We had about a 3 day power outage recently and it took them about a week to get the internet back up.

I got just about all our wifi connected devices back up and connected again including our laptop computers, but I had been having a problem trying to get wifi connected printers working again so I thought to see if checking the router page might help and found out I can only access the router thru the Nighthawk app on my phone and it does allow me to access it thru wifi on my phone, but none of the laptops I tried would allow me to connect to the router page, it says:

can't reach this page

192.168.1.1 took too long to respond

Is it possible that the router was partially damaged from the power outage so that it can only connect thru the wifi on my phone using the Nighthawk app or is that unlikely ?

It does seem strange I can access the router thru the wifi on my phone using the Nighthawk app but not when trying the access the router thru the login url.

Anyone else have this same problem and if so what did you do if you were able to fix it ?

Thanks !

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
GKL_SC
Aspirant

Re: Can access router thru phone WIFI using Nighthawk app but not from any of our laptops

Just wanted to report that the issue was resolved when I switched from the guest network, I did not initially think being on the guest network was the problem because before the power/internet outage I was able to access the router with my computer being on the guest network.   I was able to get my printers back online again also but not sure if that was a direct result of changing from the guest network though it now seems likely.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: Can access router thru phone WIFI using Nighthawk app but not from any of our laptops

you can check to see if something changed with the ip address. 

Pull up a command prompt on a connected pc and type ipconfig

the default gateway should be the router's address. 

Or try the routerlogin . net address. 

Message 2 of 5
GKL_SC
Aspirant

Thanks for the ideas!

I used the command prompt on a connected pc and typed ipconfig and the default gateway is the same as the router's address so that seems right.

All the laptops can access the internet fine, other WIFI devices connect okay with the exception of our printers which do not even show up on my phone's Nighthawk app list of connected devices.

It would be understandable if I could not even access the router thru the Nighthawk app on my phone's WIFI but I can, but if I type in the router URL on a web page on my phone it has the same results as the laptop, only router access is thru the Nighthawk app so while I prefer to fix whatever is keeping our laptops from accessing the router I am wondering if there is a Windows version of the Nighthawk phone app I could install on our laptops or even if the Android version might actually work on the laptops.

Message 3 of 5
GKL_SC
Aspirant

added note: just researched it and the Nighthawk app seems to be for mobile devices only and not computers, so at least for now I am limited to having to use my phone to access the router via the Nighthawk app.

Message 4 of 5
GKL_SC
Aspirant

Just wanted to report that the issue was resolved when I switched from the guest network, I did not initially think being on the guest network was the problem because before the power/internet outage I was able to access the router with my computer being on the guest network.   I was able to get my printers back online again also but not sure if that was a direct result of changing from the guest network though it now seems likely.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series